: stupid dipstick

gman2153
11-22-03, 05:57 PM
I am no mechanic, just do basic work like changing filters and oil.
I just changed oil on my 96 Seville for first time since purchase.

What genius designed the dipstick?
It is so hard to see the oil on the brown ceramic bulb at end of stick...

At first I thought I forgot to put the oil plug in. Had to feel the stick with my finger to gauge oil level... Sometimes GM makes me wonder.

carolinasts
11-22-03, 06:03 PM
I would concur,..the color of the tip is an absolute abortion from an engineering standpoint :xevileye: . I guess the thing could be lightly painted ( come to think about it I will do this and see how it turns out and lasts ). Or another option would be to only change the oil every 20 K miles so the oil is good and black making it easier to read. :D

Robertsong
03-23-09, 02:26 PM
I am no mechanic, just do basic work like changing filters and oil.
I just changed oil on my 96 Seville for first time since purchase.

What genius designed the dipstick?
It is so hard to see the oil on the brown ceramic bulb at end of stick...

At first I thought I forgot to put the oil plug in. Had to feel the stick with my finger to gauge oil level... Sometimes GM makes me wonder.

Sometimes???

STSj90
03-23-09, 06:19 PM
WOW you brought back a 5 year old post to say ''SOMTIMES???"
WTF?

Submariner409
03-23-09, 06:46 PM
At least he's one of the very, very few that seem to research old threads..........Good practice for cold, rainy evenings.........

Necrosan
03-23-09, 07:54 PM
Lol, this thread made me laugh.

Robertsong
03-30-09, 03:00 PM
Thanks submariner409. You gotta learn sometime, and well this is my time. Truth be told, as you could see from my profile, I have only just joined. And I am trying to find out everything I can on my 94 Concours. I can't afford anything new, and since a little ole judge was the previous owner, and he put a bundle in the car, I want to keep it on the road as long as I can. I appreciate ur comments, and I hope it hasn't caused any, especially the WTFGO'ers out there any grief.