: Look what I found in my engine!

bsamole
04-30-14, 01:32 PM

Looks like a rat made a nest under the intake manifold.

My cam sprockets do not look like the pictures in the factory manual. The manual only shows pictures of both the RI and RE point up at 90 degrees from the head surface as the correct timing marks. Fortunately I verified the timing marks before removing the head. Is this common?

Looks like gasket material or sealant pieces in the oil suction tube screen. I purchased the deville used while still under factory warranty and have never opened the engine before. So, I assume it came from the factory or a dealer mechanic.

Ranger
04-30-14, 03:19 PM
Mice taking up residence under the manifold is somewhat common.

I think the timing marks only line up once every 7 rotations if I remember correctly. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hard to say what that material is or how it got into the oil pick up screen. Perhaps a shoddy attempt to seal a pan gasket leak? :noidea:

Submariner409
04-30-14, 03:45 PM
Actually, pieces of gasket fuzz and RTV sealant chunks are quite common in an oil pickup screen....... That's why it's there.

There are a few posts/threads in here as well as GM TSB info that shows the displaced cam sprocket stampings on some engines.

Rats, mice, squirrels, snakes. All common inhabitants of car engines and fenderwells. Wait 'till you start up one morning and there's a 7 foot black snake wound up in the serpentine accessory drive belt and yanked into 356 pieces ........ warm engine in the evening is snake heaven on cool nights.

04GrandAmGT
04-30-14, 06:14 PM
The pegs on the cam shaft should be 90 Deg according to the flat on the head, when cyl 1 piston is at TDC

----------

as for the sprockets they changed the one exhaust sprocket in 2000 for the different cam sensor design

maeng9981
05-03-14, 03:12 AM
I believe that rear exhaust cam sprocket was 2000 feature because of the CMP sensor. Timing on that sprocket is done by the timing dot pictured, instead of RE lettering.

The stuff in oil pickup screen looks similar to my 99 when I had it disassembled. Nothing to worry about.