: I'm going to sell the V.....

trekster
09-01-05, 03:09 PM
I've had a wonderful year and 3 months with the car now. I'm going to deeply regret doing this. But, since gas prices are skyrocketing I'm spending way more than I want on the car. Since, insurance and car payments are really high for the car which is stupid for a 19 year old.

So my question is how much can I sell my V for?
12500 miles black on black
sunroof
good condition except paint damage on drivers rear side due to an egg being thrown on car. Also, minor damage on the front bumper because someone backed up into my car and finally a pretty big curb rash on one of my wheels.
I got an estimate by the cadillac dealership (which they are always overpriced) and got a quote of $900 for the paint damage and 300 for the wheel.
Mods to date:
Red calipers
Lingenfelter CAI
Stealth V's Cags, z06 covers
bb exhaust resonator
uuc short shifter

Once, I sell this car I'm going to get a hybrid accord sedan. I'll miss the power and the fun factor of the car but I won't miss the mpg.

Regards,
Gilbert
:crying2::(

CaddyGeek
09-01-05, 04:34 PM
Sorry to hear that you're selling the V, but a few notes you should consider before paying the premium for the accord hybrid:

(From Carsdirect.com)
Loaded Accord V6 with Auto: $24,945
Base Hybrid V6 with Auto: $26,314
Loaded Hybrid V6 with Auto: $28,112

Mileage:
V6 Auto: 21/30
V6 Hybrid: 29/37

Gas savings per year, at $5 PER GALLON, assuming half city miles & half highway miles:
$730 @ 15K miles
$580 @ 12K miles
$485 @ 10K miles

Payback in cost differential @ 12K miles per year and $5 dollar per gallon gas:
Base Hybrid = 2.36 YEARS
Loaded Hybrid = 5.46 YEARS

The above is how long it will take to recoop the cost differential between the hybrid and the standard V6. You will not see realise $1 in cost savings until you own the hybrid for at least 2 years and 4 months. Don't waste your money. Get the standard V6 with auto tranny.

Just my $0.02

Luna.
09-01-05, 04:37 PM
In total agreement with Caddygeek--hybrids don't justify their cost based solely on gas mileage unless you plan on owning and driving the car for a significant amount of time.

ctsvett
09-01-05, 05:29 PM
God knows what kind of long term maint. requirements hybrids will have either... Batteris are NOT cheap and my rechargeable NiMH die every once and a while and require replacing.

Reed

azombie
09-01-05, 05:32 PM
i say we burn every last drop of gas, its the only way we will move forward it will be ugly but we need to get it over with.

life as we know it is about to change people, just be thankful that you got to live at the most decadent time ever under the oil economy!

rand49er
09-01-05, 05:58 PM
Fuel economy? I'm furious :mad: at having to pay the Gas Guzzler tax! I get 22mpg all the time in my V and over 26 mpg at 70mph! Yeah, I baby it, but that's what you'll have to do in spades with a hybrid to have a prayer of duplicating their advertised mpg. Sell the V? Say it ain't so!!! :(

CTSV05
09-01-05, 06:26 PM
I must say, if projected gas savings is your only reason....reconsider.

The BS mileage #s they promote are at a light footed 55 mph, c'mon dude, keep the V.

blown65
09-01-05, 06:29 PM
Dont forget to figure in the cost of the Batteries on those cars, and the decline in capacity at a 5 yr period.

wkisse
09-01-05, 06:30 PM
I heartily agree regarding the purchase of a hybrid.

MAY be a good choice if gas is truly hard to come by - even with these modest additional mileage figures.

Regarding insurance for a V for a 19-year-old, this is ALSO a factor in the decision.

I'm currently paying about $1900.00 for a COMPANY CAR, I'm married and am 52 years old with a PERFECT driving record.

God only knows what a 19-year-old must shell out yearly for insurance on the V!

Anyone got ideas as to his question regarding resale value?

I assume it's been driven hard a bit, but still under warranty for a while...

urbanski
09-01-05, 06:33 PM
check e-bay, that's a good indicator. they rarely reach 35K....but search completed auctions to be sure

Dave's V
09-01-05, 07:49 PM
The V has a 400hp 5.7 high performance V-8 motor and the car weighs over 3800 lbs. Even the avertised 23mpg on the highway is great for this car.

Years from now everyone will wonder what to do with all the darn hybrid batteries.

Besides the minimal gas savings CaddyGeek mentioned, think about the depreciation you'll lose on your car. I would return it to stock and sell the mods because you won't get anything for them on the car. I would guess in the low $30s with the damage although I don't think many people will be willing to pay $30k+ for a car that needs a paint job and a new wheel.

Cadillac might be overpriced but I heard it is a pain to match the paint with Cadillac. I don't want to imagine without them.

Once you are in Vegas, you'll miss the V.

I have also found that hybrid motors don't get that good gas mileage when you drive them hard. Don't drive them hard and the soccer mom minivan will pass you.

Luna.
09-01-05, 08:56 PM
Once you are in Vegas, you'll miss the V.

LOL--why only in Vegas?

keeksv
09-01-05, 09:28 PM
Since, insurance and car payments are really high for the car which is stupid for a 19 year old

Sounds like something my mom would say....:hide:

19 is the age to do stuff like owning a V (no kids, etc...)...keep the car and enjoy it forever; you're right, you will deeply regret it if you sell, and at 50, you'll go out and buy a red Miata and try to recapture your youth...and the memory of this car:bonkers:

If you're worried about gas, throw a bicycle in the back and ride part of the way to where you're going....THAT'S hybrid technology...

good luck!

ew

heavymetals
09-01-05, 10:04 PM
Saw a neat bit on TV about special training and equipment for dealing with hybrids and electric cars involved in accidents.

Seems there is a very real possibility of electrocution:bonkers:

All that twisted metal loves to short out the batteries to.

BliTzer
09-01-05, 10:16 PM
lol heavy

addison_ii
09-01-05, 10:25 PM
Black Beast Keep the V. At 19 if I would have had a V( or even a Caddy) then I would have kept it and enjoyed it. You owning a V is something not too many 19 year olds can say. If concerned about gas then buy a cavalier,sunfire, or another small car(or bike) and keep the V parked until special occasions arise. Or you just feel the need to blow the doors off of a few imports, mustangs, whatever comes your way.

Slywun
09-01-05, 10:28 PM
Another consideration is the VW Golf TDI. A good friend of mine has one and states that he get anywhere from 42-48 MPG.

GT04CTS-V
09-01-05, 10:29 PM
One of my other cars is a Honda Civic Hybrid. I drive from Mt Airy, MD to Herndon, VA everyday - 67 miles one way. I average about 70 MPH and get 45.6 mpg with the air on. Same gas mileage as my motorcycle.

When I purchased the car I didn't have to pay any state sales tax and got a 2K write off on my Federal tax return. I now have 45,000 on the car and it runs perfect. Don't get my wrong, its a turd, but I love the gas mileage.

And I still have the Maggied - Stealthed V.

GT

09-01-05, 10:39 PM
hybrid technology is in it's infancy and the battery replacement cost will knock the crap out of resale. If you want a hybrid then go get one but don't think that it will save you any money in the long or short run over the same car in non-hybrid flavor.

If you've decided that there are better ways to spend limited funds rather than gas and insurance then you, sir, are growing up. My condolences and congratulations all at once.

20 years ago the same rationale took me from a 327 Camaro to a two liter toyota celica. Best move I could have made at the time, and I still got girls.

D

Florian
09-01-05, 10:52 PM
remeber, if you ever get in an accident in one of those and the battery leaks for any reason, they send HAZ-MAT to clean it up...on your tab, at about 5K per visit....food for thought. (thats what they dont tell you in the literature)

F

terminal Velocity
09-02-05, 01:25 AM
My V is a hybrid. It burns both gas and rubber.

Sorry, stole that from the latest Charger ad.