: 2006 V Ad

AmesCTS-V
09-01-05, 01:23 PM
I've been busy with work this week so I might have missed this discussion if it's already happened, but I saw an ad for the 06 CTS-V. It said:
6.0L V8
400hp
0-60 in 4.9 <- this is what I found interesting. Am I mistaken or did all the old ads with the LS6 say 4.6?

CTS-VETTE 550HP
09-01-05, 01:31 PM
is that in the new car&driver mag.
i think your wright

Staxxin
09-01-05, 01:31 PM
You're correct they did say in 4.6 seconds. I wonder if the 2006 is actually slower 0-60 or it's Cadillac's way of generalizing their V marketing material.

urbanski
09-01-05, 02:23 PM
considering the closest i've gotten is like 5.2-3, it really doesnt matter anyway

AmesCTS-V
09-01-05, 02:28 PM
I'm just wondering is the car slower or did they scale back the numbers because no one could hit 4.6? I would assume the later.

09-01-05, 02:37 PM
As an owner of a 2004 rather than a 2006, I can say with certainty that the car is slower.

That will be my story and will stick with it. Unless....maybe the 4.9 number was generated based on testing with a black 2006, while the 4.6 was generated with a Platinum 2004. :devil:

Kadonny
09-01-05, 02:43 PM
As an owner of a 2004 rather than a 2006, I can say with certainty that the car is slower.

That will be my story and will stick with it. Unless....maybe the 4.9 number was generated based on testing with a black 2006, while the 4.6 was generated with a Platinum 2004. :devil:

Silly boy :stirpot:

I have to guess that they scaled back the numbers. The torque curves on the LS2 appear a little bit better than the LS6, but I bet they produce very similar 0-60 times.

onebadcad
09-01-05, 03:02 PM
I purchased my '05 V in August 2004. At that time, the salesman stated repeatedly the 4.6sec time, and the dealership had a small posterboard on a stand in the showroom next to the V stating "0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds." Well, we all know that was a lie, as even dumping the clutch at 4-5K wont get you there, and even if it does, you voided your warranty for abusive driving. In retrospect, that is the single feature that made me buy the car, so I guess I am now entitled to a full refund?!? A few months later, the posterboard had been revised and said, "0-60mph in under 5 seconds." I asked the DSM about this change, and was told that the CTS-V was no longer marketed independently, and that the "under 5 seconds" was applicable to all three Vs in the series. For those of you who were told to demonstrate wheel hop to get the TSB bushings, ask the dealer to replicate the claimed 4.6sec acceleration-of course they will have to do so in their car, not your's.:devil: .

Dooman
09-01-05, 03:10 PM
I have noticed that even Chrysler only says "approximately 5 seconds" in all their SRT ads.

alcast082
09-01-05, 04:34 PM
Do you guys think of the resale value of the 05 v's will be further dropped by the 06 having a new engine?????
That would trully suck, specially since I got mine 2 months ago.
any comments

AmesCTS-V
09-01-05, 04:40 PM
Do you guys think of the resale value of the 05 v's will be further dropped by the 06 having a new engine?????
any comments
If it were to get the LS7 yeah, but with the LS2 in 400hp form, no.

onebadcad
09-01-05, 06:03 PM
any comments

The resale on your '05 V is not diminished by the LS2, it is lessened due to the rearend, which has been upgraded for the '06 V. GM Employee Pricing Promotion is also a kick in the groin for those of us that paid sticker.

GNSCOTT
09-01-05, 06:09 PM
I think the new car may be slower. Didn't they put some program into the computer on LS2's that do not let them launch aggressively? I heard that is why the auto is as fast as the stick (or faster) in the new Vettes and GTO's.

ace996
09-01-05, 06:32 PM
Or, what could reduce their dream-like numbers is a different ratio in the upgraded differential. On paper the GTO should be handing us our asses but doesn't because we are more properly geared for launch. If they put a lower gear into the diff, it will be slower off the line.

Joey'sVee
09-11-05, 01:17 AM
I've been busy with work this week so I might have missed this discussion if it's already happened, but I saw an ad for the 06 CTS-V. It said:
6.0L V8
400hp
0-60 in 4.9 <- this is what I found interesting. Am I mistaken or did all the old ads with the LS6 say 4.6?

Do you have this article? If so could you scan it? I would love to see it. Thanks!

Dave's V
09-11-05, 01:41 AM
I think the new car may be slower. Didn't they put some program into the computer on LS2's that do not let them launch aggressively? I heard that is why the auto is as fast as the stick (or faster) in the new Vettes and GTO's.

The new car will be slower, when it is warm outside (which is when the V should be driven). The LS2 is known to drop a lot of its power when it gets hot. I think the LS6 does better because of the wilder cam profile.

Eventually, all of the 04/05 rear ends will fail and be replaced with the 06 version.

Flyboy
09-11-05, 09:02 AM
My .02 worth......I was recently told by "someone who should know" that eventually these "V"s will be collectors cars......since so very few are being (in the overall scheme of things).......So, I'm keeping my indefinitely......(my kids can enjoy the financial gain.....)

globed70
09-11-05, 09:26 AM
Pure and simple... GM is learning very slowly about the modern performance car business. Advertising a best run out of hundreds of attempts is not a good long term strategy.

kjr39
09-11-05, 01:39 PM
Must be very slowly because their webpage says the following (CTS-V Overview):

"While off the track, the production CTS-V with a 400-hp 6.0L LS2 V8 and a 4.6-second 0-60 remains second only to its own*

*With optional performance tires."

-uplink-
09-12-05, 01:34 PM
18" wide Mickey Thompsons and seeing your diff in the rear view mirror at 61mph?

Priceless.
-Mike

NIK
09-12-05, 01:56 PM
Here we go again - a couple of magazines had the '05 CTS-V go to 60 in 4.7 and 4.8 secs. respectfully, so it can be done! Could it be done without "abusive driving?" Dunno, might depend on the driver. But let's face it, most races on the street are not done with smokey burn-outs and squealing tires .... they are done from a roll, and I have yet to be beat, although I know there are cars out there that could hand me my ass (not a stock Mustang or Chrysler though.)

For the life of me, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would buy the "V" as a dragster, even though it can hold it's own with just about anything. I bought my '05 "V" for exactly what it claimed to be - a performance luxury sedan that took me away from the "racer-boy" image of the Trans-Ams, Camaro's and Mustangs. I wanted something more upscale and refined but I wasn't ready to give away the performance. In the "V" I got what I wanted and I'm glad I bought my "V" and traded in my '99 Trans-Am. I loved my T/A, but I'm entirely hooked on my "V!" Once I put on tires that will last a while, I could not ask for anything more!

Dooman
09-16-05, 07:20 PM
The Cadillac web site actually says the 04 V had performance of 4.9, the new 06 ls2 says 4.6! it reads this way on the CTS-V Overview section...

Peet
09-20-05, 02:48 AM
first post, couldn't resist making it this...

the cadillac V web site actually states 4.6 with the L2 then if you click the engine section, it states 4.6 with the L6. HUH? I guess the L6 is a typo, but that's pretty sloppy on a freshly designed web site.

-uplink-
09-20-05, 02:56 AM
If you look at the caddy web site it says XLR-V and STS-V coming soon but CTS-V 'available now'. Now click on Build/Price or Search Inventory and you will get a message that they can not process your request. :confused:
-Mike

c4racer
09-20-05, 08:46 PM
The add in the C&D I just got in the mail says 4.9.

Also, they tested the new Trailblazer SS, which also comes with the LS2. 0-60 in 5.4sec, not bad for a SUV. That was the 2wd version. Said it rides a bit rough though. Anyway, interesting SUV...

Scott

a64pilot
09-20-05, 09:09 PM
Here we go again - a couple of magazines had the '05 CTS-V go to 60 in 4.7 and 4.8 secs. respectfully, so it can be done! Could it be done without "abusive driving?" Dunno, might depend on the driver. But let's face it, most races on the street are not done with smokey burn-outs and squealing tires .... they are done from a roll, and I have yet to be beat, although I know there are cars out there that could hand me my ass (not a stock Mustang or Chrysler though.)

For the life of me, I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would buy the "V" as a dragster, even though it can hold it's own with just about anything. I bought my '05 "V" for exactly what it claimed to be - a performance luxury sedan that took me away from the "racer-boy" image of the Trans-Ams, Camaro's and Mustangs. I wanted something more upscale and refined but I wasn't ready to give away the performance. In the "V" I got what I wanted and I'm glad I bought my "V" and traded in my '99 Trans-Am. I loved my T/A, but I'm entirely hooked on my "V!" Once I put on tires that will last a while, I could not ask for anything more!
Well said. I traded an 02 SS Camaro. The V does everything the SS could do better than it could EXCEPT drag race. Whatever it is worth the weak link in it's drivetrain was it's 10 bolt rear end, even though I had the optional Auburn diff.