: Any former M5 owners here?

c4racer
08-31-05, 07:27 PM
I am just curious if there are any other former M5 owners here who now own the CTS-V. I had a 2000 for ~ 1 year, then went to a Z06 and now am back into the 4-door sedan realm with the V that I picked up last week.

So far, from my memory at least - the V has the M5 on:
- brakes
- balance (M5 understeers a lot more)
- steering feel
- engine calibration and low speed tractability
- features: stereo, nav, etc.

The cars are about equivalent on:
- ride / handling
- general stability in a bumpy corner
- grip
- power
- fuel economy

M5 wins on:
- class, looks, interior quality, transmission and shifter

I am just curious what others who have owned an M5 first think. To me the CTS-V is like an M5, but a little bit better drivers car, but with new car warrantee and features / technology and expected to be much cheaper to run in the long run.

Scott

globed70
08-31-05, 08:12 PM
Yep, former M5 owner here. I had a 2000 M5 Antracite/Caramel, driven around 15k miles in US and Europe. Your comparison is pretty much spot on. The M5 shift/tranny was far from ideal, but at least it wasn't clunky... although the super-short 1st gear made it a bit difficult to be smooth. The V is alot more fun at low to medium speeds, and it my mind easier to toss around, which is probably a trade-off in that the M5 felt more at home at high speeds (120-150). I believe there are a few former M3 owners, and a current M5 owner or two lurking, but we may be the only two who have had both.

Leeman
08-31-05, 10:54 PM
I had a 2002 SMG M3. I traded it in because we are expecting twins (in addition to our 4 year old). The CTS definately has a better ride and more features. The M3 felt faster and got quite a bit better gas mileage (on my crappy commute I get 15mpg on the CTS, and was getting 20 on the M3). People who claim the M3 has no torque must be smoking something. The 260lbft+ comes on quick and the car absolutely took off at 2000rpm. I miss the 8000rpm shifts.

However. I am very happy with the CTS-V. So far the car has been a joy to drive.

-- Lee

Staxxin
08-31-05, 11:23 PM
I had a 2003 M3 Coupe with SMG II (Imola Red), and I completely agree that it felt very fast but no nearly as fast as the V. Ironically, I thought about buying a used 2004 M3 manual coupe a few months back. I drove the car and was rudely surprised; it didn’t feel nearly as quick as the SMG II, even in “sport” mode. Needless to say, I wasn’t impressed and didn’t buy.

I think the handling is comparable between the M’s and the V. The V’s power is much stronger in my opinion. BMW’s navigation isn’t much to be desired for either.

For me, the only thing that excels the bimmer to the front is the customer service. All general maintenance is covered i.e. oil changes and you feel like a king when you’re at the dealer. BMW customers are treated really well and Cadillac needs take some lessons in that area.

Just my 2 cents…

Ross Racing
09-01-05, 02:38 AM
I had an 02 M5 and it was a great car. Not as fast, but smoother. It did not handle as good as the V mostly due to weight and size.

The interior is far superior in the M5. I hate to say it but the V interior is a little cheap with the use of plastics. Yes I realize their is a $30,000.00 price difference.

Both cars have amazing breaks but the V is better, again because of weight in my opinion.

c4racer
09-01-05, 02:53 AM
I have not spent much seat time in the V yet, but it feels much sharper and more nimble than the M5 to me, also much closer to neutral vs. heavy understeer. I had the M5 on Laguna Seca and it was taking me for a ride instead of vise-versa. I get the sense the V would be much more fun to drive on a track. Prior to the M5 I also owned an M3, but an E36 M3. No comparison in the handling dept. as that car is just a tossable joy with amazing steering feel and incredible balance. But is way underpowered and quite crude compared to E46 or E39 or CTS-V, not to mention rear seats only appropriate for children under 10. My '00 M5 was Carbon Black. Cool color, but showed dirt about 1 hour after it was cleaned. I hope Steath Gray isn't so bad - so far it seems pretty good in not showing dirt / dust and I just love the color in the sunlight....

Scott

ylwjacket
09-01-05, 11:41 AM
For me, the only thing that excels the bimmer to the front is the customer service. All general maintenance is covered i.e. oil changes and you feel like a king when you’re at the dealer. BMW customers are treated really well and Cadillac needs take some lessons in that area.

Just my 2 cents…

I actually have had the opposite experience. I had an X5 before the V, and my dealer experience was marginal, at best. They were less informed about performance upgrades than the Caddy dealer. When I talked with them about some things, they instead wanted me to buy an M5.

My Caddy dealer is moderately informed, but overpriced. When I do mods, I'll do them outside the dealership. But, for general customer service stuff, they are first rate, and blow away the BMW dealership, which has been the biggest surprise of all to me (I had BMWs for about 12 years prior, and now have 2 cadillacs - ugh).

rand49er
09-01-05, 06:23 PM
Having had next to no experience with either vehicle (M3 or M5), I'm fascinated by this thread ... very informative for me. :hmm:

Ross Racing
09-01-05, 06:54 PM
I had a Dinan M3 E36 with full suspension and 19" wheels. No car with modified suspension that I have ever had could possibly compare. If you ever heard tire squeel you were already out of control.

I have not spent much seat time in the V yet, but it feels much sharper and more nimble than the M5 to me, also much closer to neutral vs. heavy understeer. I had the M5 on Laguna Seca and it was taking me for a ride instead of vise-versa. I get the sense the V would be much more fun to drive on a track. Prior to the M5 I also owned an M3, but an E36 M3. No comparison in the handling dept. as that car is just a tossable joy with amazing steering feel and incredible balance. But is way underpowered and quite crude compared to E46 or E39 or CTS-V, not to mention rear seats only appropriate for children under 10. My '00 M5 was Carbon Black. Cool color, but showed dirt about 1 hour after it was cleaned. I hope Steath Gray isn't so bad - so far it seems pretty good in not showing dirt / dust and I just love the color in the sunlight....

Scott

Koooop
09-01-05, 07:11 PM
Back in the day I had a M535 Alpina, a M645csi Alpina Turbo...That was back when M cars were refered to as Motorsport cars. I can't even remeber that far back! I do remember they cost a fortune to repair and broke down constantly and the M645csi Turbo was incredibly fast.

byucelt
09-02-05, 01:50 PM
I was debating on buying a 2004 M3 or 2003 M5 over the V but after reading this thread I think I made the right choice by buying the V, not really a surprise to me. I believe the 06-07 M3 with the V8 and 400hp will have some serious get up and go!!

c4racer
09-02-05, 06:33 PM
The '07 M3 sedan is what I told myself I was holding out for. Until I drove the V. And then I realized - why wait another 2-3 years when I could be driving a very good car now. No doubt the E90 M3 will be better than the V. But owning out of warrantee is a scary proposition with these overly complex and electronics ridden new BMW's. Not to mention who knows if the engine will be reliable, the E46 took a few years to sort that issue out. But the kicker for me was the price - the V can be had new for mid $40's, which has to be in the range of $20K cheaper than an M3, not to mention they will hold lease rates high for several years on the M cars - even E46 M3's still have high lease rates even with a new model due out in the fall. And I realized that I really did not want to pay that much $$ for a car, no matter how good it was. Especially with private high school and then college looming in the not too distant future. Maybe better for me to get the stable all set and all paid off before that starts hitting hard. And the V is good enough to get me excited about owning and driving it, which is what I need from my cars!!

Scott

fast66
09-08-05, 06:01 PM
i had a 03 m5, for a couple of days( it was a cousins). loved it. wont buy the new one though, looks ugly. I would rather get a cts v

fast66
09-08-05, 06:04 PM

Just my 2 cents…

I agree.