: Question for the StealthV Tune Guys?

CadV
08-31-05, 05:54 PM
Have you guys noticed a pinging under hard WOT from 6k -> redline?

GT04CTS-V
08-31-05, 06:00 PM
Nope - have the Stealth Wild Power tune and a Maggie, but no pinging what so ever. The last time I filled up the tank I had a brain fart and used mid-grade gas, still no pinging.

I hate to ask, but are you using the Brand and Octane rating of gas that your tune was customized for??

GT

CadV
08-31-05, 06:02 PM
On the checklist I selected that I had used 87 before but it has 93 in it right now. I listed a couple brands but sometimes I am not consistent by brands would that matter?

ronr
08-31-05, 06:09 PM
No pinging here. I run 93 octane with a maggie.

urbanski
08-31-05, 06:19 PM
brands would not matter but do NOT use anythign but 93

CadV
08-31-05, 06:24 PM
Another thing because of the bug in the last EFI patch Rick had to send me another PCM so the crank shaft alignment is off and the check engine light is on and from what I gather the computer will not correct detonation or something like that.

I had used 87 mt last tank so I wonder if I have some left over 87 causing this problem.

urbanski
08-31-05, 06:29 PM
oh, you gotta get that crank position fixed.
and NEVER use 87 lol

CadV
08-31-05, 06:35 PM
After he gets the move finished up I get my real PCM back

slow35th
08-31-05, 06:43 PM
None what-so-ever. Burnin' 93. It runs like a spotted ass ape.

ctsvett
08-31-05, 06:53 PM
Urb is right, you need the correct position set on the sensor... I would be careful until you get your PCM back.

Reed

CadV
08-31-05, 06:55 PM
Yep no more vroom for awhile.

wildwhl
09-01-05, 12:09 AM
Nope. Never. Nada. Must have something to do with that crank position thing. Drive her easy until Rick can take care of you :yup:

BliTzer
09-01-05, 12:16 AM
Runs some 101 with a little street blue 03 in it.. lol i used that otw to vegas... ziippeetoodoodaa all the way.. get this, that fuel seemed to last forever too... man that maggie sounded so good with that mix i did... i did 70/30 im goiong to use that at the track.. i could tell the pick up was by at least 30% stronger...

later blitzer

JBeechel
09-01-05, 01:16 AM
Rick, what's the crank sensor fix? dealer bullshit or what?

ctsvett
09-01-05, 01:29 AM
I will answer since I hope I know what you are asking (and rick explained it to me once- I hope I can repeat it correctly):

inside the PCM there is a value called the crank position sensor. This remembers the (you got it) crank position.

If you put another PCM in your car it, the "new" pcm does not know the position of the sensor. therefore, you need to go to the dealer so they plug in a computer to "teach" the PCM the crank position (FYI, efilive can also "teach the car the crank position").

However, if you send Rick our PCM (for a calibration), he reprograms the PCM, but presumably, you cannot start your car without the PCM while rick has your car, so when you get your PCM back, It still knows where the crank is.

Is that what you were asking?

Reed

JBeechel
09-01-05, 11:21 AM
Basically, what I'm worried about is the dealer flashing my brand new Stealth-V tuned PCM for shits and giggles.

Redline CTS-V
09-01-05, 11:46 AM
FYI -- Here's the procedure...

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
-- A. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
-- B. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
-- C. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.
-- D. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.
-- E. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
-- F. Block drive wheels.
-- G. Set parking brake.
-- H. DO NOT apply brake pedal.
-- I. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.
-- J. Apply and hold brake pedal.
-- K. Start and idle engine.
-- L. Turn A/C OFF.
-- M. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
-- N. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

6. Accelerate to WOT.
7. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
8. The scan tool displays Test In Progress.
9. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
10. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
11. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
- An engine replacement
- A PCM replacement
- A harmonic balancer replacement
- A crankshaft replacement
- A CKP sensor replacement
- Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship

No PCM flash is required... Gotta love having to run it at WOT unloaded though...

CadV
09-01-05, 03:05 PM
FYI -- Here's the procedure...

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
-- A. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
-- B. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
-- C. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.
-- D. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.
-- E. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
-- F. Block drive wheels.
-- G. Set parking brake.
-- H. DO NOT apply brake pedal.
-- I. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.
-- J. Apply and hold brake pedal.
-- K. Start and idle engine.
-- L. Turn A/C OFF.
-- M. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
-- N. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

6. Accelerate to WOT.
7. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
8. The scan tool displays Test In Progress.
9. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
10. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
11. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
- An engine replacement
- A PCM replacement
- A harmonic balancer replacement
- A crankshaft replacement
- A CKP sensor replacement
- Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship

No PCM flash is required... Gotta love having to run it at WOT unloaded though...

Thanks so much for posting this. What software does everyone use to accomplish this?

CadV
09-01-05, 03:05 PM
Basically, what I'm worried about is the dealer flashing my brand new Stealth-V tuned PCM for shits and giggles.

You and me both that is why I am buying another PCM and going to find out what software to use to reset the position sensor.

lasstss
09-01-05, 03:26 PM
You and me both that is why I am buying another PCM and going to find out what software to use to reset the position sensor.

If you pull the PCM & reflash with anything it looses the Crank position. You have to get the dealer to give it the Tech 2 treatment/proceedure above.
EFI live can do it but it aint worth $700 for a relearn. Go throw the local GM wrencher a $20. Takes him 2 min.

Marty

Redline CTS-V
09-01-05, 03:36 PM
EFI live can do it but it aint worth $700 for a relearn. Go throw the local GM wrencher a $20. Takes him 2 min.
:yeah:

Just don't panic when your engine starts bouncing off the rev limiter...

urbanski
09-01-05, 03:57 PM
If you pull the PCM & reflash with anything it looses the Crank position. You have to get the dealer to give it the Tech 2 treatment/proceedure above.

Marty
speaking about EFILive ONLY....once a PCM learns the crank position, it won't forget it. I've swapped out and flashed my 2 PCMs many, many times. You only have to do a CPK learn ONCE with a new PCM, period. And with EFILive, you only rev her to 3K rpm, not redline.

lasstss
09-01-05, 04:28 PM
speaking about EFILive ONLY....once a PCM learns the crank position, it won't forget it. I've swapped out and flashed my 2 PCMs many, many times. You only have to do a CPK learn ONCE with a new PCM, period. And with EFILive, you only rev her to 3K rpm, not redline.

Why do most of us with reflash on our original PCM need to do the reflash then??

urbanski
09-01-05, 04:34 PM
Why do most of us with reflash on our original PCM need to do the reflash then??
i believe the OP was in an urgent situation and got sent a PCM his car never saw before....as a quick fix. When he gets his original back it'll be perfect again. I even tried to do a CPK learn on my original PCM, and the software won't let you do it, once is all it takes :)

CadV
09-01-05, 04:41 PM
I broke down and bought EFILive. It was either pay 400 for a new PCM or 280 more for the software to flash back and forth all day long. Dealer catches someone with a modified tune they will wish they spent the extra for the software. I have been in a fight with a dealer before on a LS1 Camaro and it is ugly.

urbanski
09-01-05, 04:45 PM
cool!!
do your CPK learn yourself now :)
--clear all those nasty codes too :D

51PHFTY
09-01-05, 07:02 PM

Marty

Dumb question here, but, can any GM wrencher (independent) do the crank position proceedure or only the dealers? I am in line for a Stealth tune but really want to have two PCMs (one stock) in case of trouble later on. Rick told me about the PCM crank position issue but if I can pay a local independent some $$ to have Rick's PCM recognize the crank position (from what I am reading, my stock one will always be set as long as it does not get reflashed), I should be good?

Thanks,
Marty

urbanski
09-01-05, 07:38 PM
your stock one will be set REGARDLESS of how many times it's been flashed. once the CPK is learned, you are good.
Buy a NEW one, you should be able to have anybody good with a Tech II do it...and it only needs done once.

51PHFTY
09-01-05, 08:05 PM
your stock one will be set REGARDLESS of how many times it's been flashed. once the CPK is learned, you are good.
Buy a NEW one, you should be able to have anybody good with a Tech II do it...and it only needs done once.

Great - thanks for the info. Urbanski. That's route I am going to go. I am going to have Rick do his magic on a new PCM and find someone good with a Tech II (anyone know of such a person in Southern California (the Santa Clarita Valley or San Fernando Valley))?

I am going to the dealer tomorrow for the rear bushing install and rear diff check, maybe I will see if I can talk to one of the guys to see if they have a suggestion........

lasstss
09-01-05, 08:49 PM
Myself and at lease one other guy got back our same PCM after the tune. Engine light came right on. I have my original PCM unless they got switched?

GT04CTS-V
09-01-05, 09:11 PM
Yup - I am the other guy who got his original PCM back and upon installing it got the dreaded check engine light. Took it to a GM mechanic who used a TECH 2 to relearn the Crank position. The mechanic is a friend of mine, so it was no problem. According to StealthV, this happens occasionally.

Yes - it was my original PCM - I marked it.

BTW: The relearn procedure was very simple, just had to go to Wide Open Throttle for a millisec. Nothing about hitting the rev limiter, not even close.

GT

StealthV
09-01-05, 10:08 PM
The issue of the original PCM requiring a relearn was fixed in the EFILive software last week and will not occur in the future. My apologies to those that were subjected to the one in eight shot of it occuring in the past.

To perform the CKP relearn, one needs a Tech2 tool, HPTuners or EFILive software. It literally takes just a few seconds for the procedure.

There is a way to take a new PCM off the shelf and prevent it from ever requiring a CKP relearn but I don't believe in fooling the factory OBD2 system.

GT04CTS-V
09-01-05, 10:48 PM
Rick - you are the man. My V with the StealthV tune is awesome. The CPK was just a minor problem. My car runs perfectly and I would definately recommend the StealthV tune to anyone.

Your support and service is second to none.

GT

51PHFTY
09-02-05, 12:17 AM
The issue of the original PCM requiring a relearn was fixed in the EFILive software last week and will not occur in the future. My apologies to those that were subjected to the one in eight shot of it occuring in the past.

To perform the CKP relearn, one needs a Tech2 tool, HPTuners or EFILive software. It literally takes just a few seconds for the procedure.

There is a way to take a new PCM off the shelf and prevent it from ever requiring a CKP relearn but I don't believe in fooling the factory OBD2 system.

Rick, the guy using the Tech II tool can't mess up any of your stuff when he is setting the CKP relearn right?

PS. Can't wait for the end of Sept.!

Thanks,
Marty

wildwhl
09-02-05, 01:25 AM
Rick, the guy using the Tech II tool can't mess up any of your stuff when he is setting the CKP relearn right?

Thanks,
Marty

and thanks to my (lack of) proof-reading skills Sept will only be one day longer this year! :histeric:

Hey, if I can't poke fun - who can :highfive:

urbanski
09-02-05, 08:30 AM

Thanks,
Marty
i really doubt a techII can mess up the tune.

urbanski
09-02-05, 08:32 AM
Myself and at lease one other guy got back our same PCM after the tune. Engine light came right on. I have my original PCM unless they got switched?
depends on the code for the CEL....i've had CELs for lean conditions