: iS THE AIR DAMN FUNCTIONAL

Ross Racing
08-31-05, 04:43 PM
I lowered my car and put on a smaller 245/35/19 tire and the damn under the nose rubs a little on dips.

I was wondering if I could remove it with out it causing the car to run hotter or something. I know on my camaro it was functional for cooling.

ahahnu
08-31-05, 04:55 PM
I'm no expert, but the part of the bumper that sticks out forces the front end down during high speed and the rubber part underneath keeps air out from under the car at high sppeds making it more aerodynamic. Any one else want to correct me or agree??

rgd
08-31-05, 05:22 PM
I lowered my car and put on a smaller 245/35/19 tire and the damn under the nose rubs a little on dips.

I was wondering if I could remove it with out it causing the car to run hotter or something. I know on my camaro it was functional for cooling.

Sorry I have no answer for you, but I do have a question if that's ok.
I am lowering my car Friday night the minute UPS drops my shocks. I am curious how much you lowered your car, (more than 1.6"??) and how bad/often does it rub?

Thanks,
Bob

Ross Racing
08-31-05, 06:03 PM
I used the eibach kit also. It was a perfect drop in the front. It could not go any lower with the stock wheels and not rub. It sits barely above the front tire. At full turn of the wheel it will not rub.

The tires I put on are about 1/3 in smaller than stock and that causes the front air damn under the car to rub every once in a while if i'm not careful.

On the other hand with just the springs you could find the right dip to make the front spoiler scrap a little to. All in all I am very happy because you don't really have to drive the car like it is lowered.

urbanski
08-31-05, 06:28 PM
do you mean the rubber piece that hangs down from the bumper? (arrows)
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4961/dam1ux.th.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dam1ux.jpg)

I can't see how that's functional..it's attached very loosely and is really floppy

Ross Racing
08-31-05, 06:40 PM
That is it

urbanski
08-31-05, 06:42 PM
i think it just keeps you from scraping the painted undersurface of the bumper. but at 1.6" lower, there probably isn't anyway to stop that :)

lawfive
09-01-05, 03:07 PM
Three functions of the rubber skirt that I've been able to ascertain so far:

1. Portions of it have tabs without fasteners; these occasionally slip out of their slots.

2. Occasionally rips at high speeds if #1 happens.

3. Generates $92.00 in revenue at your local Cadillac dealer if #2 happens.

JOEYCTS-V
09-01-05, 03:32 PM
I know on some cars it's there to deflect the incoming air into the radiator for better cooling at higher speeds. This may not be 100% true on the V but I would leave it there. It was put there for a reason.

V-seriesTech
09-01-05, 03:40 PM
I'm no expert, but the part of the bumper that sticks out forces the front end down during high speed and the rubber part underneath keeps air out from under the car at high sppeds making it more aerodynamic. Any one else want to correct me or agree??

Correct.

How low is the car if it's rubbing that bad?...I mean, I have three lowered V's here, they MAY scrape an area or two but,..not enough to where it's to the point of having to resort to removeing the piece. The less AIR underneath your car my friend, the better.

I wouldn't remove it if it was my car but,...if your determined, remove it,...go out and do some blasts, see how it feels......

..personally....I wouldn't remove it.

ahahnu
09-01-05, 04:24 PM
Thanks techie!!:highfive:

V-seriesTech
09-01-05, 04:43 PM
Thanks techie!!:highfive:\

:)

Ross Racing
09-01-05, 06:01 PM
The car is about 1/3" lower than the eibach kit. I'm not saying its the worst thing in the world. I have had lowered cars that are too low.

I just don't like hearing it occassionally and wanted other peoples opinions on its function.

Thanks guys

V-seriesTech
09-01-05, 06:08 PM
The car is about 1/3" lower than the eibach kit. I'm not saying its the worst thing in the world. I have had lowered cars that are too low.

I just don't like hearing it occassionally and wanted other peoples opinions on its function.

Thanks guys

Well, I can tell you this....my vette is 2 and 1/8 th inch off the ground. If your lower then that...wow.

Rey
09-01-05, 06:19 PM
My understanding of air dams' purpose is to sweep air up over the top of the car that would otherwise pass underneath. Most cars are more aerodynamic on their top sides.
I used to play around with big air dams on BMW 2002s back in the mid-70s. Found that it increased gas mileage by about 1.5 mpg.

Ross Racing
09-01-05, 07:10 PM
Wow is right. I had an 00 coupe and lowering sure does effect it's driveability

Well, I can tell you this....my vette is 2 and 1/8 th inch off the ground. If your lower then that...wow.

DeVillish
09-01-05, 07:14 PM
if its to low, you can always trim the air dam...its only plastic.

Ross Racing
09-01-05, 10:32 PM
I think I will leave it alone. It's not horrible

wildwhl
09-01-05, 11:49 PM
Yes, Air is DAMN FUNCTIONAL (sorry, I could resist).

I would leave the rubber skirt on your air-dam alone - it is there for a reason beyond revenue on repair. GM wouldn't spend the money on it if it didn't have some sort of benefit.

And I repeat, Air is DAMN FUNCTIONAL!