: Almost...went to jail.

V-seriesTech
08-31-05, 04:06 PM
I hope none of you take this the wrong way.

Well...as it states, I almost had a free ticket to the police station last nite. Quick story, asd I stated before, I needed brakes, bad. I changed them last nite before I left. So, leaving my dealership, on OUR side road, which is open to the public,...I did a couple of lite/mild stops to bed in the brakes,....I come up to our corner, which is normally 20 mph, no more(its like a slow 90 degree bend) I take it in a sluggish 2nd gear, gas it midway through the corner, my tail comes out, very sideways,.....in my mind, it was very routine, and nothing excessive or out of control, just a little sideways action. At the same time I am opposite lock, there is a police officer, coming around the OTHER corner, 50 yards away, looking right at me.

Dammit man. :o

I brought her back in a straight line,...pucker effect was on. He had already turned on his lights,...headin straight for me at WOT,... I made a turn into our back entrance which is ALWAYS closed, and stopped. I guess he thought I was gonna run, which is why he was coming soo fast. I actually had to signal to him to stop, since it looked like he was going to ram me(no joke). Anyways, he gets out, tells me..."give me all your information....." I ofcourse be as respectful as I can be,...."yes sir, no problem"

he goes to his car,..but not before me having to get out of my car,...to get my registration out of my trunk. Ofcourse I asked permission to do so. He at first, was a real jerk. Told me to get back in my car and sit tight. "yes sir"

8 minutes go by. Sweating my jibblies off. He gets half way out of his car,...ask me if I have ever been arrested?..."no sir" askes if I have ever been convicted?..."i'm sorry sir, I don't understand your question" "I have never been arrested. I have gotten tickets growing up, alot. I haven't had a ticket in a long time except for recenlt, on my way to pick up the car in North Carolina,...but it was a wile before that...."

He says.... "ok son,...you been drinking tonight?"

"What, No sir, not at all,..like I said sir, I just left work(were still basically on the property) and just finished my brakes. No sir, I haven't been drinking"

"got anything in the car I need to know about?"

"Ah, no sir"

"i'm gonna ask you again, do you have anything in your car I need to know about?"

"...............no sir, not at all(meanwhile, i'm still sweating)"

"then I guess you don't mind if I search your car?"

Now, in my mind, i'm trying to think of where he is going with this....which I made visible in my body language but,...after a long pause....."no, I guess I don't,...sir"

"ok, hop out of the car.....(as I get out, he says again)....now I'm telling you one more time, if there is anything in the car, tell me now, and we'll work it out...cause if I find something,...i'm takeing you to jail, and i'm towing your car"

"well officer,..in that case,...I have a medicine jar that filled with advil, and one pain pill, I think a vikadine or something,...but they have been there for a very long time"..

"ok, lets take a look." I open my trunk, dig, and find the jar. he's like,..."dude, this is a ZANEX!" :sneaky: ......"Oh...didn't know exactly what it was, i have had it soo long"....

"Do you have a perscription?"

"no sir, not right now"

"you know this illegal? So now your gonna go to jail for what you did in the car, and also this."

"............."

So I strike back... "officer,..listen, I understand your reasoning for pulling me over in the first place,...but why are you digging for stuff and insisting on searching my car?...I mean c'mon man,...look at me,..I just left work, I got a little sideways...there was nobody around"....

He gave me a QUICK speech,....then asked if there was a drain around,...I said yes, right here,...."dump that stuff out".... "YES SIR"

He told me he wasn't going to give me a ticket, or a warning. Just to be cool, and take it easy.

Then, all of a sudden,..(mind you, i'm still bugged out) he starts asking me about the new Hummer H3.....told me he's interested.

Sooooo....50 minutes later, of me at first worring about going to jail,...and looseing my baby... we are discussing pricing options, and accessories for the H3.

Talk about Dr. Jeckel, and Mr. Hyde.

He told me he at first thought I was gonna run, and was kinda hopeing that I would have,...then he said the reason why he wanted to search my car was because I was acting nervous.

lol. I'll take that, since I've been pulled over well over thirty times, well over(not bragging, its kinda sad I haven't learned yet actually)..if not over forty. Granted, this is when I was growing up from 16 to now, 26. So, needless to say, police experiences are never a smooth moment for me,...so yeah, I guess I could be a little nervous around them.

In the end of this long story, which I am sorry If I have lost any of you,...the officer ended up being pretty cool,...and I didn't go to jail.

He said to me I was really sideways,...I told him I am sure he ahs heard this a million times but, I was REALLY under control of the car...as I told him I learned how to drive stick on a 400 hp corvette,..frequented the autocross and the drag strip once a week. He liked that.

,..he told me next time I wanna do this, give one of them a call,..and they'll block off the street for me. :thumbsup:

Crazy stuff. Freaked me out.

J

heavymetals
08-31-05, 04:19 PM
YOU ARE SO LUCKY.:thumbsup:

That is why I have my front plate on the car (no I didn't drill the facia).

Don't give them probable cause.:eek:

Ryan's '05-V
08-31-05, 04:19 PM
WTF, cool but not cool. At least he let you go.
I don't have good luck at all and usually get a bit nervous too. I think I have just accepted that I will always get a ticket. My last ticket was 18 months ago and a State cop wanted to let me go but said he had to write me and suggested I fight it since my record WAS clean. I couldn't make court and my letter was able to knock it down from speeding 18 to 5 over. I still travel the same highway daily and go 80+ at times in a 55. I figured I deserved the ticket.

Kev
08-31-05, 04:34 PM
Good ending. Sounds like the officer did his job correctly. In California by law if your tires break loose or loose traction in any way it is technically considered out of control. Sounds like the guy got an adrenaline rush out of the situation and so did you. Glad it turned out OK.

Flyboy
08-31-05, 04:35 PM
Jamie,

Glad the guy turned out to be Kool toward you.

Sux when they're not.....

See ya' soon

CTS-VETTE 550HP
08-31-05, 04:36 PM
what a close one that was did you change your shorts.
btw did you mean (vicodin) vikadine
(xanax) zanex
no offense it's habit..

V-seriesTech
08-31-05, 04:47 PM
Look.... I come form a good family but, i'm no angel. I've been in alot of situations with police officers, all automotive related. I, in the past, like most kids, used to have various illegal substances in my car,..thank god that isn't an issue anymore. I am a smooth talker, ofcourse, I treat them with respect, as long as they are not baggering me. Once I AM getting a ticket, depending on the officer and his tone(everyone desreves respect) or attitude, in other words, if he is being a dick,...the respect goes somewhat out the window, and I my brass ones start to shine.

Yes, in the end,...thank god, I didnt get in trouble. And yes, the Seargent, ended up being very cool... noit before scaring the piss outta me.

Flyboy,...give me a shout pimpin'...we'll do lunch.

j

V-seriesTech
08-31-05, 04:49 PM
what a close one that was did you change your shorts.
btw did you mean (vicodin) vikadine
(xanax) zanex
no offense it's habit..

LOl. never payd attention to the proper spelling. I know how to spell weed though:D

CTS-VETTE 550HP
08-31-05, 04:56 PM
did you mean (marijuana) weed... lol

V-seriesTech
08-31-05, 05:13 PM
did you mean (marijuana) weed... lol

lol. :canttalk: no comment

homer403
08-31-05, 05:18 PM
Man, sounds like the Twlight Zone :alchi:

Flyboy
08-31-05, 05:23 PM
I'm gonna' start:alchi: in about an hour.....not flying tomorrow. Going to Mosport for the weekend to watch the "HEAVY," WEIGHTED DOWN "V's" try and keep up the the UNWEIGHTED cars....:wtf:

ctsvett
08-31-05, 05:24 PM
My buddies are cops (many of them) and I often help them with training (I get to be the bad guy)....

I dont get too nervous getting pulled over anymore since I helped them practice felony stops a few months ago.... I think I got "pulled over and arrested" about 20 times in a few hours (my wrists hurt so bad after that!). But I got to have fun with them and NOT listen to the commands- but instead play dumb ("I thought that was my right officer")... Part of my gig was to hide a piece on my person(unloaded and checked of course).

I just need to remeber if I ever get pulled over for real, that it's not my cop friends and I DO need to listen to the commands.

Glad you got out of it. Police are not bad guys. They are normal car loving nuts like the rest of us. (right deputydog?). That might explain your conversation on the H3.

Reed

Jurisimprudence
08-31-05, 05:30 PM
I've found that there is a whole lot to say about nonverbal communication (i.e., body language). I don't know if it's the confidence (or unjustified arrogance) gained after law school or what, but the few times that I have been pulled over and dead to rights guilty in the last 10 to 15 years, I've been able to ge off. Of course, the opposite has been true. The few times I've been pulled over and the cop had actually made an error, I've gotten ticketed. Apparently, they don't like having their mistakes pointed out.

Also, if you ever get pulled over by a short pudgy femal cop in Old Town Virginia, don't accidentally refer to her as "Sir" even though she looks like a guy and happens to be named "Chris." You may be found not guilty, but it'll take a trip to court and a lawyer before you're done. Don't ask me how I know . . .

Kadonny
08-31-05, 05:34 PM
So how does the new underwear fit?

Bet you had to throw the old ones out :D

Flyboy
08-31-05, 05:39 PM
I agree with Reed......I "ride along" with my cops buddies in my home town. They really are fair on traffic stops.....if....and that's the big one....IF.....the "suspect" is courteous and doesn't have lots and lots and lots of tickets or outstanding warrants.
I was "drag racing" and Gray SVT cobra recently. His exhaust was VERY loud and My Corsa is VERY loud during WOT above 3000 RPM's. We did three runs (basically a wash).....his engine was supercharged and running well. Five minutes later, I'm on I-94 and get pulled over by a :cop: YOUNG, Really cool Macomb County Sheriff. He said the dispatcher got three 911 calls about the little racing we did. He was mostly curious how I was running so well against the Cobra. He ran my license...(clean) and said please don't drag race on his watch.....so I won't. No ticket......see....Cops can be Kool.......:thumbsup:

CTSV05
08-31-05, 05:42 PM
Jamie, glad to hear you're still on the "outside".

I got stopped a couple of weeks ago.....in the Suburban!!!!

I was humping down 77 and some nitwit was playing the lane game, so I finally got a chance to pass and did, so I'm doing like 75 or 80 towing a trailer!!!

Cop comes up, checks me out asks what I'm haulin, gets my info back, I'm all clear and says "I'll just warn you, be a bit more careful", Of course I say "Yes Sir" LOL!!

I haven't had a moving violation since '83. Its funny, when you have a clean record its like they don't want to mess you up, but if you have violations they pile 'em on!!!

ahahnu
08-31-05, 05:49 PM
At the title to this thread I thought we were gonna have a man down, but its good to see you pulled thru. I got pulled over about a month ago for no front plate, I was shaking because I have gotten in such trouble behind the wheel, and the cops are *****s (no offense) in my town. I have lost my drivering priviledges twice, and got so many tickets, the points are finally coming off. That was 5 years ago, when you have to walk 45 mins to the train, take 20 mins on the train then a bus for 30 mins, you learn your lesson when it used to take 15 minutes to get to my destination. Anyway I hear ya brother, be careful, just do it when they are looking the other way!

Vegas-V
08-31-05, 06:42 PM
I can't believe I'm the first one to say this: Never, ever, EVER, give them permission to search your car! Ever!

They are not your friend, buddy or there to help you out. They are there to bust your ass, and you're giving them free reign to look for anything incriminating. The story above is a perfect example, an old xanex could have turned a minor traffic ticket into a years long legal process requiring thousands of dollars in lawyers fees to clear your record if they'd decided to push the issue.

Yeah, cops hate it when you say no, and sometimes they'll get uppity and call for a warrant and the K9 unit to sniff, but that's all they can do; they can't just arrest you on suspicion. More often than not, they will get in your face about 'why not, what do you have to hide' and all that type of BS, but when it comes down to giving you a ticket or calling the dogs out they will just let you go. Cops hate extra paperwork as much as the next guy, and if you make it hard for them to go fishing in your vehicle, they'll often give up, especially if you don't really fit the 'profile'.

I'm not bashing cops per se, and I'm not telling you to be belligerent with them, just politely say 'no, I decline to let you search my vehicle'. Always be nice, just firm about it.

Koooop
08-31-05, 07:15 PM
Never, ever, EVER, give them permission to search your car! Ever!

I was pulled over in the exact same situation when I was 26 (a snot nosed punk), I politely refused permission to search my car and suggested if they had "cause" they could easily get a search warrant and I could wait. I also pointed out there was a slick substance in the roadway. I was detained for over an hour.

Who knows what your friends or family left in your car, just one roach and it's big trouble! Allowing a search is NUTS, never give up your rights you will get screwed! And never, ever, EVER admit you did anything wrong. You could've gone down for the drugs!

You are very lucky

addison_ii
08-31-05, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear everything went ok. Nice how it turned out. I would have taken the underwear I had on and burned them. They wouldn't have even been fit for the garbage. But as mentioned by several others: Cops are human and enjoy the same things we do. good thing he wasn't one of the cops who abuse their position of responsibility.

ta206
08-31-05, 08:24 PM
I can't believe I'm the first one to say this: Never, ever, EVER, give them permission to search your car! Ever!

Really? If you have nothing to hide, then let them search all they want. When they find nothing, it will just help to prove your case that you're not the "bad guy" that they suspect you to be. "Yes sir", "no sir", and "I'm sorry sir; I was an idiot, sir" go a long way in getting yourself out of a ticket. You have to ask yourself one question, what would you rather do, lose your dignity for a few minutes or spend a night (or maybe more) in jail? If its just you and the cop, you can always lie to your friends and deny kissing his ass. No one will be the wiser. Its hard to deny that that you were stupid when you're calling from jail to get bail money.
Now if you have something to hide, then that's a different story.....

Koooop
08-31-05, 08:45 PM
Dignity has nothing to do with it, waiving your rights is stupid and could land you in jail vs. a ticket for getting a little sideways that can easily be beaten in court.

I found a very expensive BMW key in my car last week...I don't own a BMW, where the hell did it come from? Maybe a Valet dropped it? What else might be in there that's not mine?

Be polite, make the cop laugh if you can even apologize...But Never, ever, EVER waive your rights or admit to anything. I'm sorry, I was stupid, Oops are not admissions.

Staxxin
08-31-05, 09:09 PM
I'm glad it turned out well... The officer seemed to be really on edge.

ahahnu
08-31-05, 09:35 PM
I would like to redefine how I classified the police in my town. I feel a little bad about what I said. They are just really really really strict and by the book. No breaks. They have won numerous awards for their dress appearance, and other high distinguished awards (I used to be a police explorer years back). I live in a very small town and everyone knows one another basically. Recently I got pulled over for not having my front plate on, he just got done pulling someone else over- pulled away turned around, came and got me. The night before I saw the judge's son at the diner. He got pulled over in the town next to us, flashed his judge's gold badge and still got a ticket (55-35). I read in the paper about 8-10 years ago, "We painted them black and white as to disguise them better to the criminal." I will never forget that quote. They were the first town to do it, then I saw everyone else go back to the black and white. My cousin is an officer, so is her husband. I know a few deputies, and my friend from highschool was an Airforce MP. I like the police, they protect us, and keep us in line. Thank you. Any of the officers have any extra FOP or PBA merchandise they can afford to part with?

NH Vrod
08-31-05, 09:51 PM
Very cool, it's not that often that people can get away with "breaking the law" One thing for sure, it always pays off to be very polite to the officer.

My last speeding ticked I was colcked at 103 MPH, I sired the hell out of the Vermont statey, he gave me a break and dropped it down to 95, I had to pay a fine, but it kept me out of jail..

heavymetals
08-31-05, 10:09 PM
My last ticket they pulled their guns on me.:helpless:

Thought I was trying to run from a liquor store robbery.

Just hauling ass on my RD400.:lildevil:

Outran a KZ900.

Cops couldn't believe it.

That bike was insane.

Vegas-V
09-01-05, 05:08 AM
Really? If you have nothing to hide, then let them search all they want. When they find nothing, it will just help to prove your case that you're not the "bad guy" that they suspect you to be. "Yes sir", "no sir", and "I'm sorry sir; I was an idiot, sir" go a long way in getting yourself out of a ticket. You have to ask yourself one question, what would you rather do, lose your dignity for a few minutes or spend a night (or maybe more) in jail? If its just you and the cop, you can always lie to your friends and deny kissing his ass. No one will be the wiser. Its hard to deny that that you were stupid when you're calling from jail to get bail money.
Now if you have something to hide, then that's a different story.....

I know what you are saying, the problem is that your premise is flawed; if you know any cops, or better yet have one as a friend, ask them how many people they've arrested, for something other than what they were pulled over for, after doing a consentual search. I bet the number would suprise you. You have rights, and they need probable cause to search your vehicle, unless you give them permission. Buddy's roach fell out of his pocket after the concert you guys went to last month? Guess who owns that roach now? Like they're going to believe you when you say you have no idea where it came from. The saddest thing is is that if a cop really want's to bust you, if you give him that inch, he will find something to bust you for.

Let me put it another way: lets say you and your neighbor have a heated dispute and someone calls the police. In the process of figuring out what happened between you and the neighbor the cops ask if you'd mind if they took a look around your house, you know, no big deal. You have nothing to hide, right? Personally, I see this as almost the same situation, car or house.

V-seriesTech
09-01-05, 08:36 AM
So how does the new underwear fit?

Bet you had to throw the old ones out :D

LOL. Didn't poop my pants.:p I've been in worse situations with officers before...so this really did suck but,..it doesn't beat the time had a 9mm to my chest(and I really didn't do anything there...really, it was a mistaken idenity)

Anyways ya'll.... you all crack me up......and you ALL have very good points. I think your ALL correct in your comments.

In the end, I just belive it's a game of respect but, some officers,....just want your ass regardless of how you are.

J :devil:

V-seriesTech
09-01-05, 08:37 AM
I'm glad it turned out well... The officer seemed to be really on edge.

He was....VERY much soo for about 30-40 minutes....then like someone said....twilight zone baby! :bonkers:

ta206
09-01-05, 08:47 AM
I know what you are saying, the problem is that your premise is flawed; if you know any cops, or better yet have one as a friend, ask them how many people they've arrested, for something other than what they were pulled over for, after doing a consentual search.........The saddest thing is is that if a cop really want's to bust you, if you give him that inch, he will find something to bust you for.

I AM a police officer and I stand by my statement. If you don't do illegal things and don't hang around with people who do illegal things, then you don't have anything to worry about. And showing me respect and giving me your full cooperation during the traffic stop goes a long way in alleviating my concerns as to whether you're a "good guy" who just made a stupid mistake or a "bad guy" who knowingly and deliberately broke the law and needs to go to jail. Remember, I have no idea who you are, but you have a pretty good chance that I'm a "good guy". And I said "pretty good chance" because I've been around long enough to know that there are a few bad cops out there, just like there are bad doctors and bad lawyers and bad mail carriers, etc. The difference is, the bad cops will bend/break the law to bust you and it won't matter whether you let them search you or not. The rest of us will remain within the constraints of the law and if you get away with something this time, we just chalk it up to experience and hope that you get caught next time.

Jurisimprudence
09-01-05, 10:23 AM
I can appreciate that most police officers are good people and do a good job. The problem is that not all of them are. The same can be said for drivers. Although most people are good, not all are. Why is it OK for the police to have a since of distrust and not the citizens being pulled over. Although I think you're an idiot if you're not polite when you get pulled over, you should not, under any circumstances let someone search your car, unless you know for an absolute fact with 100% certainty that nothing, and I mean nothing is in your car that could possibly be construed as illegal.

Let me give you a couple of quick examples. Let's say you have a brand new V with the sticker still on it. Did it have zero miles when you bought it? No, who was driving it before you? Did he possibly drop something in your "new" car? Have you had your car washed or detailed recently? Any chance the guys that "cleaned" your car might have accidentally dropped something in it? Let's say that none of these situations are applicable and that you consider yourself a fine upstanding person that has done nothing wrong at all. Is every CD in your car original, or did you possibly burn a copy off of Napster or some similar on-line service. If the latter, what if the officer asked you for proof that such CD's are merely legal backup copies of the originals that you purchased. You could get dinged for criminal violation of the federal copyright laws. Even if it's just your legal backup, once ticketed although the state has to prove that you violated the law, the burden is really on you. After all, you're going to have the burden of paying for an attorney, explaining to your wife/husband, friends, co-workers, etc. Granted, I've never heard of my crazy example ever happening, but I want to emphasize what was stated above. If a cop wants to bust you, he can. In fact, if you happen to get stopped by one of the few cops that isn't "good," what's to say he/she won't just lie. In short, don't let a cop search your car. Plus, if you really don't have anything and he gets a K-9 unit or a warrant only to later find absolutely nothing, although you will have been delayed, you'll have the satisfaction of being able to look him sqare in the eyes and tell him to go F--- himself and he won't be able to do a damn thing . . .

NH Vrod
09-01-05, 11:16 AM
You know what kills me, are these cops that will drive by you doing 90 + mph they get ahead of the traffic pull over turn on the radar and nail you for driving 80 ???

I followed a NH statey on day going up 93, I was driving 95 mph and was not able to catch him, whats up with that???

When I had my 01, TA, I followed a statey in his personal car (he had his uniform on) UP I90 in MA, doing 90 + he can up on a statey car waved to him and took off, they played around at speeds over 100 mph, I followed behind a couple houndred yards, when the off duty cop exited off the interstate the statey slowed down and pulled me over and gave me a bunch of shit for driving at those speed, of course he did not want to here what I had to say, the dick gave me a warning I could not beleive it!!

I took his plate # but never did anything, who do you thing the judge would beleive..

euclidjr
09-01-05, 12:50 PM
As a caveat, I am not a Peace Officer, as we call them in Texas, but have worked with many of them, defending them in civil rights suits. I also lost a cousin in the line of duty. He was shot and killed during a traffic stop. Everybody should be nervous during a traffic stop - the uncertainty of the situation makes it probably the most dangerous thing that officers do.

For starters, your right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures is guaranteed by our Constitution. There is no shame in taking those rights to heart and using them - they are there for a reason. I would NEVER consent to an officer's search simply because he asked - regardless of whether or not I had anything in the car or my house. An officer who asks to conduct a search must have some reason for asking and efforts to cajole you into it - telling you that a search is method to prove that you are a good guy and not a bad guy - is simply not a good reason - and in fact is exactly why we have Constitutional protections.

That said, my response would be to ask the officer to articulate the reasonable suspicion. It is easy to turn this around to the same type of argument that the officer is making to you.

"Sir, there must be a reason why you want to search my car, why don't you tell me what your basis is for wanting to search my car?"

"I don't have to tell you my reason."

"No, and I don't have to consent, but I don't want you to have to go through a magistrate and all that paperwork if you have a legitimate basis for searching my car - and I know you wouldn't ask if you did not have a legitimate basis."

"I''m just trying to determine if you are a good guy or a bad guy."

"I'm just trying to determine if you are a good cop or a bad cop. I'm not trying to jerk you around, but I'm just a guy headed home from work - and I work right here - who was checking out the new brakes on his car on company property and who was in complete control - I don't understand why you would want to search my car, but if you explain it to me, I'll probably consent."

Also, if you ever had a prescription for the Xanax (and I assume you did) then you should have simply answered that I obtained the Xanax witha valid prescription from my doctor. There's nothing wrong with having Xanax in your car and nothing wrong with not having the prescription with you. That said, the Xanax alone is an example of why you should not have consented.

I AM a police officer and I stand by my statement. If you don't do illegal things and don't hang around with people who do illegal things, then you don't have anything to worry about. And showing me respect and giving me your full cooperation during the traffic stop goes a long way in alleviating my concerns as to whether you're a "good guy" who just made a stupid mistake or a "bad guy" who knowingly and deliberately broke the law and needs to go to jail.

This is, no offense, a typical police mindset - only the guilty refuse a search. The law is clear - refusing a search does not provide probable cause for someone to decide that you are a bad guy or conduct a search. There's no lack of respect associated with refusing a search, period. If an officer's sense of self-respect is hung up on whether you politely refuse or consent to a search, then he's got a problem.

Sadly, this is more than a police mindset - and this is the erosion of civil rights that worries me - only the guilty don't want to be searched, or have their phones tapped, their email read or their library records reviewed by the government. Too many Americans have given their lives and their effort in defense of my constitutional rights for me to simply piss them away because someone asks me to. Okay, off my soapbox.

ta206
09-01-05, 02:28 PM
Well, I guess I've been put in my place. I didn't realize there was so much distrust and animosity out there for the only professionals whose purpose in life is to protect the victims from the criminals. OK, like I alluded to earlier, I don't take it personally. All I can say to Jamie and anyone else who is listening; it's up to you. Would you rather take your advice as to how to handle a traffic stop from an actual police officer with 27 years of experience or a jailhouse lawyer?

I will say one more thing, I do agree that if you think that there might be something illegal in your car, then maybe you would be better off respectfully telling the officer that you don't consent to a search. The worst that can happen is that if he (or she) can articulate why they feel the need to further detain you, then they can call in a drug sniffing dog or (if they can convince a judge to sign one) they can get a warrant and search to their heart's content. We get paid to be on the side of the road tossing your car, while you get to experience the joy of standing in the heat, rain, snow or whatever while we do it. And then you get to put all your stuff back into your car. So, as one person so tactfully put it, when the officer finds nothing, you'll have the satisfaction of telling him to go F himself. He'll have the satisfaction of knowing that he inconvenienced you for an hour and got paid to do so. If you want to play hardball, we can play hardball. If you want to be friends, we can be friends. Why do you think the cop that stopped Jamie changed his attitude? Once he determined that Jamie was a good guy, he treated him appropriately and started talking about Hummers. I just think that the sooner you can convince the cop that you're not a bad guy, the quicker you can end the unpleasant experience of standing on the side of the road talking to the friendly neighborhood policeman.
And BTW, local, county and state law enforcement officers can only enforce local, county and state laws. Don't worry about your bootleg CD's unless you're pulled over by the Feds. And if you are, you have a lot more to worry about than a few CD's. They don't play around.

naiculnila
09-01-05, 03:27 PM
on a lighter note (hopefully), from reading all the posts:

it's best to just bend over and beg for lube so it doesnt' hurt as much. One way or another you're still getting fu**ed; be it your liberties, jail time, ticket, etc!

Koooop
09-01-05, 03:27 PM
I AM a police officer and I stand by my statement. If you don't do illegal things and don't hang around with people who do illegal things, then you don't have anything to worry about. And showing me respect and giving me your full cooperation during the traffic stop goes a long way in alleviating my concerns as to whether you're a "good guy" who just made a stupid mistake or a "bad guy" who knowingly and deliberately broke the law and needs to go to jail. Remember, I have no idea who you are, but you have a pretty good chance that I'm a "good guy". And I said "pretty good chance" because I've been around long enough to know that there are a few bad cops out there, just like there are bad doctors and bad lawyers and bad mail carriers, etc. The difference is, the bad cops will bend/break the law to bust you and it won't matter whether you let them search you or not. The rest of us will remain within the constraints of the law and if you get away with something this time, we just chalk it up to experience and hope that you get caught next time.

"I can't tell you how many times I pulled someone over for a tail light and then I hooked 'em up for something else". "I always ask for permission to seach."

Hmmm...Who said that? Oh yeah, it was the instructor at Felony car stop training night.

Go ahead waive your rights.

Vegas-V
09-02-05, 05:20 AM
"I can't tell you how many times I pulled someone over for a tail light and then I hooked 'em up for something else". "I always ask for permission to seach."

Hmmm...Who said that? Oh yeah, it was the instructor at Felony car stop training night.

Go ahead waive your rights.

Touche!

Some people just don't understand why some of us are so adamant about privacy and not surrendering our rights. I just can't get on the bus with those who say "I have nothing to hide, I'd let them search whatever they want." :cookoo:

BliTzer
09-02-05, 06:28 AM
lol v tech.. you lucky brother.. :P they dont mess around in s florida niether.. esp the florida hiway patrol... geesh..

later blitzer

V-seriesTech
09-02-05, 08:33 AM
lol v tech.. you lucky brother.. :P they dont mess around in s florida niether.. esp the florida hiway patrol... geesh..

later blitzer

Highway patrol?...brother, you ain't kiddin'...those guys, DO NOT PLAY. Staright to jail,..or your getting a ticket...no way around it.

Although I did get pulled over by one about three weeks ago,...in an LS1 camaro. He let me go :p .... but I think he had to, as I was in a pack of about 7 cars, all doing "98mph" ....and he wasn't going to give me a ticket because they couldn't get EVERYONE. I thought that was kinda cool,..kinda. Well,..I didn't get a ticket,...so that was actually badass.:devil: