: Corporate responsibility

heavymetals
08-30-05, 05:06 PM
For the record I worked for a company owned by GM.
I have no axe to grind.

Let's say you are in business and you realize that the latest thing you make may have a part with a "LATENT DEFECT" that will cause the thing to fail.

Do you "USE UP" the rest of the parts that have the "LATENT DEFECT", or do you purge your inventory and get a better part so your thing doesn't fail, and take your reputation with it?

The thought of "using up" a potentially defective part, with a known history of failure, coupled with the fact that an improved part is available, is to me one of the reasons corp America fails miserably.

If GM was truely concerned, they would do the right thing.
It is not a giant leap.

If it was a government contract, they would have to, but they would probably do it anyway because it is GOOD BUSINESS.

3rdstreet
08-30-05, 05:18 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. Integrity is a hard commodity to find ESPECIALLY in Corporate America.

CTSV05
08-30-05, 05:53 PM
Where do you think the saying "Trip over a dollar to save a nickel" comes from?

It make absoluteluy zero sense, from a labor point down to a public relations point.

jteolis
08-30-05, 05:59 PM
For the record I worked for a company owned by GM.
I have no axe to grind.

Let's say you are in business and you realize that the latest thing you make may have a part with a "LATENT DEFECT" that will cause the thing to fail.

Do you "USE UP" the rest of the parts that have the "LATENT DEFECT", or do you purge your inventory and get a better part so your thing doesn't fail, and take your reputation with it?

The thought of "using up" a potentially defective part, with a known history of failure, coupled with the fact that an improved part is available, is to me one of the reasons corp America fails miserably.

If GM was truely concerned, they would do the right thing.
It is not a giant leap.

If it was a government contract, they would have to, but they would probably do it anyway because it is GOOD BUSINESS.

So, who is doing this and what proof do you have?

CTSV05
08-30-05, 06:01 PM

I hope that was an attempt at humor.........;)

3rdstreet
08-30-05, 06:03 PM

lol :histeric:

heavymetals
08-30-05, 06:28 PM

Like I said, I worked for a company owned by GM and I saw it happen.
This is the "difference" between a defense contractor (HUGHES) and CADILLAC.
Both GM companies.

HUGHES would never let a "LATENT DEFECT" out the door if possible, and if it did it recalled & corrected the affected units.
They also would purge inventory of potential problems.

The consumer divisions of these companies could learn a lot from the government supplier divisions.

GT04CTS-V
08-30-05, 06:30 PM
What does Cadillac stand for??

Crappy Automobile Differential Installed Loud Leaks And Cracks

ctsvett
08-30-05, 07:53 PM
Question: How many people have actually had their diff crack (like ctsv05)? Were you hopping when it happened?

I dont think GM is releasing this new differential because the old one is defective... They obvioulsy began creating this diff a LONG time ago (they have to qualify it)... I think what the results from the call showed is that they are upgrading the diff (for many reasons) for the 06 car and will make this new upgraded diff available on the 04/05 THAT NEED REPAIR... GM is definintly NOT saying that there is a problem with the current diff. Whatever the number that you came up with to answer the first question in this post, devide that by 7500 and you get a percentage of failed diffs (that we know about)... I am betting GM has better numbers to look at...

Also, The only diffs they will NOT repair under warranty are those where someone did a mod that COULD have caused the problem to be amplified (SC, BMR kit, etc). If anyone really felt that their mod did not cause the failure, then they have a case to go to arbitration with GM- then GM needs to PROVE that your mod caused the failure (I dont think it would get that far).

(flame suit on)

Reed

Barak
08-30-05, 08:00 PM
I think GM installed the diff knowing full well that they'd have excessive failures and also knowing that it wouldn't be until 2006 that they'd have a fix.

heavymetals
08-30-05, 08:18 PM
I think GM installed the diff knowing full well that they'd have excessive failures and also knowing that it wouldn't be until 2006 that they'd have a fix.

It is DUMB to put something out there that you know may fail.
Who speced this rear end or did some moron think that it would be ok because it was just a "little" underrated?

I think that the problem is Cadillac selling a high performance car and then ignoring the ENGINEERING MISTAKES.
Great marketing idea, lousy followup.
The people who buy this car are not your normal (I have been accused of that!) car buyers.
Those engineering "oh oh's" have now grown to a feeling of corp indifference.
Why is it so hard to admit that one made a mistake or error in design or whatever, and then correcting it, and in good faith and then moving on?

Or is Cadillac going to change it's advertising and state that cars used the same way as the ones in their advertising and promotions will not be warrantied?
Why does my Cad have a "competitive" mode?
If I use that mode is my warranty void?

Jurisimprudence
08-30-05, 10:22 PM
If you look at this from GM's standpoint, you have to ask yourself, what was the downside to releasing the V with a defective rearend. Although there is a possiblity that an injury could arise from such a defect, that seems pretty remote. As for the failures of the differentials, clearly not every one of them is failing. If they fail after the warranty runs, there is a chance that the original owner has already sold the car. If so, the new owner will end up picking up the tab for this oversight. As for those that do fail, the only cost is the labor to the dealer and the cost of the part. If that allowed them to get the V to market sooner and get the hype that they wanted for the entire division, then that's a small price to pay. Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's the wisest decision, but I don't think it's as costly as we all make it out - especially, if they end up making good. If they play their cards right, a good number of us will get a new '06 model differential for free under warranty and feel all warm and fuzzy because we'll look at this as a positive experience with our dealer and with GM. For those who have already had problems with the differential, well, I guess GM figured that p***ing you off was a risk they were willing to take. . .

heavymetals
08-30-05, 10:30 PM
A beancounters perspective is what I call it.

Been on both sides of that one.

It is never a good idea to knowingly sell a potentially defective product.
No matter what the profit margin is.

Even worse to ignore it.

Look at what Firestone went through.:eek:

joshdctsv
08-30-05, 10:36 PM
<cut>
nevermind... if im going to have to buy tires every 10k miles, i'd better keep my job.

slow35th
08-30-05, 10:49 PM
Where is Getrag in all of this?