Cadillac Owners Forum banner

95 seville starter help!! plz look

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  donclericuzio 
#1 ·
My mom has a 95 seville sts with the Nortstar and it wont start. They got back from running some errands, parked it for maybe 25 minutes and the next time they tried to start it the starter just clicks. At first i thought it was a weak battery but after jumping it for close to 30 minutes same thing, so we bought a new battery and it still just clicks. I think the starter is locked up, ive seen it before on other cars and usually if u can tap on it the starter will free up and work again, Thing is i CAN NOT find the starter on this thing. Ive read it could be inside :annoyed: which sounds crazy or on top under the upper intake. Anyone have any idea where its located?? Or have any other idea what could cause the click. any help would be nice i couldnt find anything about this anywhere online :banghead:

#2 ·
The starter is mounted underneath the intake manifold. You need to remove the 4 plastic nuts that hold the beauty cover to the top of the engine, then remove the 8 bolts/studs holding the intake down, lift up the intake from the fan belt side of the engine and you'll see the starter. Get a piece of wood that will span the intake area and hold the intake out of the way. The intake gaskets are re-usable but you may want to opt for new ones..they just snap into place...do not use gasket sealer. Once you change the starter bolt the intake back down @ 89 in/lb torque. Took me almost 20 mins to change mine. Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start working on it.

Hope this helps

#8 ·
zonie77 said:
Make sure that when you tighten the bolts they are actually tightening the cable. I got burned by a battery where the bolt bottomed in the hole before the cable was actually tight. It was snug, not tight. Double check for that.
I got burned the same way...replaced the starter when all I needed was a different bolt.

#9 ·
I have the same problem when i use my car sometimes it will start fine, and then go to start it and it will just click the starter. Is there a way you could check for sure if its your starter or not before going out and buying a new one. Now are we talking underneath the intake are box, or the actually intake manifold?? and is replacing the gasket east??....And I dont know a thing about working on cars so is it pretty easy or do i really need to get help??

#10 ·
We're talking about the intake manifold, not the air filter box. Check your battery cables first. Make sure that they are CLEAN and tight. Zonie and I have both had bolts in the battery that were too long and although seemed tight, still didn't allow a solid connection. As far as the intake manifold gaskets go, they are reusable. It's a fairly simple procedure to change the starter if your familiar with your engine. I would suggest you obtain the factory service manuals for your particular car.

#12 ·
I have replaced my battery, made sure all the cabels were good and clean, and still no start!!! :'( Could it be the cables hooked up to my actual starter?? or do you think that I need a replace starter?? After you take the intake manifold off is the starter at easy access?? Do you think its a hard replace or relatively simple?? Also all imput will help and if there are any other ideas on what it could be would be appreciated!! THANKS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.