: My 'friends' track school day

Seattle CTS-V
08-30-05, 03:13 PM
My friend took his V to the Proformance Racing school yesterday at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. As expected, it was better than sex. If any of you out there think you love your V now, just sign up for a track event and you'll have newfound adoration for your beloved.

My car was definitely the fastest car out of the 20 or so vehicles people brought (B5 S4, CLK320, 350Z, Elise, STI, Evo, Werks Cooper S, etc). There was a '05 GTO and C6 Corvette there that matched straightline performance but they were a little slower in the corners. We're obviously all amateurs and driver skill was the biggest factor as the Vette should have been quicker in the twisties (though I've only been driving a manual for about five weeks now).

Anyway, I was very impressed how well the V is able to throw it's 3800 lbs around corners. I don't even have the FG2 shocks. She also stopped VERY well. On a couple of the drills we had to slam on the brakes while turning. They wanted us to go fast enough to lose control. With the traction control on I had to go faster than most just to lose control. The brakes kept stopping me too fast. Gotta love those 14+" rotors.

One of my few complaints with the car is the pedal positioning. I found it nearly impossible to heel-toe even though I have the Ultimate pedals with the gas pedal extension. The gas pedal is just too low compared to the height of the brake pedal. I can't blip it enough to rev match.

Another complaint is that the seats aren't bolstered enough on the sides to keep mein place during really aggressive turns. The g-meter registered over 1g both left and right during my track day. I really found it difficult to make sharp right turns while simultaneouly trying to brake and downshift into second when I was sliding and being pinned against the driver's side door.

My last complaint is the steering wheel is just too big. Are we driving trucks here?

Oh yeah, my last, last complaint is that the wiper control is too close to the steering wheel. I kept bumping it and felt kinda stupid having the wipers going when I didn't need them.

All in all I had a frickin' blast! I can't wait for a few more ponies and a Stealth tune though. I really wanted a little more grunt down low so I could pull out of a couple turns a little stronger.

3rdstreet
08-30-05, 03:18 PM
Thats awesome! I'm really looking forward to doing that someday too! :D I can't wait!

Staxxin
08-30-05, 03:22 PM
Great story, you know have me looking for a school near me :bouncy:

Mutlu
08-30-05, 07:22 PM
This car is great on the street but it really shines on the track. If you have considered going, do it now!

I am amazed at how well this car handles for it's porky weight.

I think I surprised some people as well when I was right on their tail waiting for them to let me pass by.

I owned several sports/sporty cars and have taken them all on the track, 02 M3, 00 P996, 99 Boxster, 00 S4, 98 NSX and S2000 and I have to say I was really impressed with this big sedan.

Good job GM, even though I can do without the big steering wheel, terribly placement of gas and brake pedals and that dorky truck brake.

Luna.
08-30-05, 07:39 PM
Another complaint is that the seats aren't bolstered enough on the sides to keep mein place during really aggressive turns. The g-meter registered over 1g both left and right during my track day. I really found it difficult to make sharp right turns while simultaneouly trying to brake and downshift into second when I was sliding and being pinned against the driver's side door.

My last complaint is the steering wheel is just too big. Are we driving trucks here?

Complete agreement!

One of the first (albeit minor) disappointments in the V was the lack of good bolster support! And yes, the steering wheel is just too damn big! ;)

NoSlackCadillac
08-30-05, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a great time. Who ran the event a Pacific Raceways? I live in Port Orchard, but I get around to that side of the sound fairly regularly and would be interested in some track time.

There is a SOLOII event at Bremerton Raceway here in Port Orchard this weekend. (http://www.nwr-scca.org/solo/Nextevent.htm) Anyone interested? I went to one here last month. The course was a little tight, no full throttle action, but lots of fun! :lildevil:

KILR CAD
08-30-05, 10:19 PM
I would love to go to a track day but when I put on the helmet I have to tilt my head to the right to fit in the car. (Damn Sunroof) I'm also 6'3" :banghead:

Seattle CTS-V
08-31-05, 12:40 AM
The event was actually just the Proformance Race school (http://www.proformanceraceschool.com). No sponsors. Technically, it's an educational school so it isn't really even considered 'racing'...at least that's what they told me thats how their insurance looks at it.

Is there any way to thicken the gas pedal a little to bring it up higher?

calicadi
08-31-05, 12:40 AM
I would love to go to a track day but when I put on the helmet I have to tilt my head to the right to fit in the car. (Damn Sunroof) I'm also 6'3" :banghead:
Hey kilr... can you post where you got those fuel rail covers? I forgot, something with a "P"? Bad memory, need more ginko biloba. tanks!

trukk
08-31-05, 04:36 PM
Get a set of G-LOCKS to snug you and your passenger into place (note:monor drilling required on the passender side).

I feel pretty good at heel-toeing the V now. I have the ultimate pedals with out the gas extention. You really have to rock your foot to the right, due to the major height difference. I have no problem at all revmatching via a quick blip, when not under heavy breaking. Under heavy breaking it's a bit more challenging, as you have to remove so much foot from the break, to make the angles work right.

Have fun out there :D

-Chris