: Cat problems?

eldoedwardo
04-25-14, 11:37 AM
Hello Everyone,
Let me just lay it out, While driving in the morning rain engine temp at 163*F 2miles at 25
mph I came to a stop sign and a P0420 code came up. That's the code that reads 'catalyst
system low efficiency'. Does that mean the Cat is going bad or some thing else? It has never
came on before and has not again after I cleared it. (thank you everyone for showing me the
diagnosis procedure)!
What are your thoughts?
Thanks Ed:usflag:

MoistCabbage
04-25-14, 12:28 PM
Hello Everyone,
Let me just lay it out, While driving in the morning rain engine temp at 163*F 2miles at 25
mph I came to a stop sign and a P0420 code came up. That's the code that reads 'catalyst
system low efficiency'. Does that mean the Cat is going bad or some thing else? It has never
came on before and has not again after I cleared it. (thank you everyone for showing me the
diagnosis procedure)!
What are your thoughts?
Thanks Ed:usflag:

The code means the cat has failed. It'll come on more often as it gets worse. Wallercand eastern make good replacements.

Does the temp not go higher than 165?

Ranger
04-25-14, 03:43 PM
Yup the Cat is terminally ill.

eldoedwardo
04-25-14, 05:01 PM
yes, mostly between 187--197. I wasn't pushing it past 2.5k yet, that's the warm-up stretch before the interstate. If I looked in to wallercand, would it be wallercandeastern.com? I would imagine
it would be best to match the specs. Is there a flow rating or cubic inch measurement of the cat I need to match?
thanks Ed

Ranger
04-25-14, 08:36 PM
Is there a flow rating or cubic inch measurement of the cat I need to match?

Not that I am aware of.

maeng9981
04-26-14, 04:48 AM
If it's intermittent you can probably just clear it as it appears. My 99 does this once in three months or so, so I just clear it when it happens. I blame the cheap catalytic converter used before my ownership.

Ranger
04-26-14, 10:09 AM
:yeah: My daughters '04 SLS keeps throwing the CAT code. I told her to clear it and motor on, because I'm not replacing it, but then we are not subjected to emissions testing.

eldoedwardo
04-28-14, 07:05 PM
thanks Everyone,
I guess my last post didn't come through .I asked how to reach wallercand eastern. I tried to google it , got zilch.
I also asked about the size inside like a cubic inch minimum or maximum , thanks RangerMaeng9981 is that why you
think yours is a
cheap one because its too small for a 4.6? I just had exhaust cams to valves put in bout 30k ago. I don't want to put
a cat in that is not going support that system, I also don't want to spend more than needed. I do plan on keeping
the Eldo forever (well you know). The code came up again today, cleared it and kept on driving. I would believe its time to locate one.. Thank you everyone... Ed

98eldo32v
04-30-14, 11:24 AM
Walker catalytic converters, or Eastern Catalytic converters