: V replacement help

sti convert
08-29-05, 09:19 PM
Ok, got her moved to the classified section, thanks Reed. Now, that Iíve come to grips with selling the V, what would you all recommend for an inexpensive, best bang for the buck under $15K? I could do an older Miata with a turbo kit, or say a 98 Cobra, a 70 Monte with a BBC, fourth gen Camaro (never liked the body style). Give me your thoughts.

3rdstreet
08-29-05, 09:20 PM
I'd say if that's you in the pic...you'd probably be better off staying with one of the larger cars ;).

Brad330cic
08-29-05, 09:44 PM
Camaro? Seriously?....uggg. If you are really trying to save some coin, I'd go with something not "modded", and maybe an import. Nothing kills a budget like repair bills! Sorry you have to part with it, good luck to ya.
Damn funny line 3rdstreet.

KILR CAD
08-29-05, 09:45 PM
Get a 1994 - 1996 Impala SS, You'll love it

ace996
08-29-05, 10:09 PM
If you're considering a Miata, I'd try to steer you to a MR2Spyder. I just returned my '01 off lease and very much miss it. Mid-engine, good power to weight (can be made much higher), very reliable...I autoxed it competitively for 3 years without a single problem.
You really can't compare any sub-25K car to the V, so this is gonna hurt. I'm sorry you need to make the change, but you're probably better off in the long run. We are experiencing quite a few issues that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Imagine, buying a V and not being able to DRIVE it for fear of component failure....Its like dating Pam Anderson and she never takes off her clothes....

08-29-05, 10:52 PM
All this rice talk.....get yourself a mustang GT or Cobra and have yerself a blast.

$15K will get you a nice recent GT if you hunt around......might be tight for a good Cobra though.

Camaro vs. mustang? Well that is one of the oldest debates in musclecar country....though that debate is technically over and the market has spoken.

Doug

sti convert
08-29-05, 11:58 PM
Sorry 3rdstreet, it ain't me on the bike, I'm a paltry 185. Iíve never been a Ford fan, but I did see a nice one owner, 98 5.0 Cobra convertible for about $15K. Of course, parts are readily available too. If I went the fourbanger route, Iíll have enough money to rebuild my SBC RX7 (385hp in a 2,600 lb car), not a daily driver though. Iíll save my pennies for the 600hp monster when the kids leave the house.

Slywun
08-30-05, 12:31 AM
You should be able to get a decent WRX still maintain the 4 door functionality (sort-of) , if you can get past the looks. 4 wheel drive, plenty of available mods....

AmesCTS-V
08-30-05, 12:35 AM
I'd go fbody, tons of mods.

Dave's V
08-30-05, 12:39 AM
I would advise checking on insurance first, espeically when considering Mustangs and Camaros. My insurance only went up $20 a month when I traded in my 00 Grand Prix GTP for the 05 V.

a64pilot
08-30-05, 08:09 AM
All this rice talk.....get yourself a mustang GT or Cobra and have yerself a blast.

$15K will get you a nice recent GT if you hunt around......might be tight for a good Cobra though.

Camaro vs. mustang? Well that is one of the oldest debates in musclecar country....though that debate is technically over and the market has spoken.

Doug
Yeah after 15 straight years or so of having their collective a$$es handed to them Ford "won"

a64pilot
08-30-05, 08:16 AM
I'd go fbody, tons of mods.
I'd second that notion, but only if you truly like to go fast. You'd still be keeping the LS1/6 motor you know. Just beware the diff in the Fbody's is the weak link too especially when you get down in the 11's. BTW it takes three things to get a 4th gen Fbody in the high 11's. Drag radials, 3500 rpm stall converter and a 150 shot of N20. That's all.
They don't do too shabby in autox either as they can mount some serious rubber, yes they are large cars, there's no getting around that, but it's a small block Chevy which means there are more mods available for it for less $ than anything else.
The stealer gave me $13500 on trade for my very cherry 02 SS with ALL of the available SLP options. Auburn rear Diff etc. So they are out there at good prices.

RobertCTS
08-30-05, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't worry about the cost of insurance or the car payment. I'd be worried about the cost of feeding it with today's gasoline prices. Hurricane Katrina will give them reason to jack the price even higher.:mad2:

sti convert
08-30-05, 12:12 PM
You should be able to get a decent WRX....

Canít go the WRX route since I traded my 04 STi for the VÖIt would be like crawling back to an old girl friend after dumping her. Got to love the V8, but with gas prices at $2.70 for 91, I might be swayed to go the turbo four route again. Iíll just crank the boost up to 30psi.

ace996
08-30-05, 10:55 PM
Yeah...crawling back after she gained 80lbs and decided not to shave ANYTHING ever again.

Funny though, if my car qualifies for Lemon Law...I'm gonna get the STi.

RobertCTS
08-30-05, 10:58 PM
Yeah...crawling back after she gained 80lbs and decided not to shave ANYTHING ever again.

Funny though, if my car qualifies for Lemon Law...I'm gonna get the STi.

You deserve an import :yup:

ace996
08-30-05, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Robert, I believe I do. I've owned the V for 3 months and it has spent 14 days in the dealer service center for diff/halfshaft issues. I do not belong to the "cant turn only know how to drag/street race pu$$i brigade" that usually suffer from such component failure, so I'm a little let down with the durability of such components from a car that costs as much as it does. Still, I appreciate your support of me considering other options.

And that is a beautiful picture.

RobertCTS
08-31-05, 12:14 AM
Thanks, Robert, I believe I do. I've owned the V for 3 months and it has spent 14 days in the dealer service center for diff/halfshaft issues. I do not belong to the "cant turn only know how to drag/street race pu$$i brigade" that usually suffer from such component failure, so I'm a little let down with the durability of such components from a car that costs as much as it does. Still, I appreciate your support of me considering other options.

And that is a beautiful picture.

I understand. A lemon really ruins your taste but my Caddy really talks to me.:D

08-31-05, 12:26 AM
Canít go the WRX route since I traded my 04 STi for the VÖIt would be like crawling back to an old girl friend after dumping her.

Oh...in that case then drink about 10 beers, call the dealer at about midnight, and arrange to sneak in that night for a test drive for old time's sake......

Dave's V
08-31-05, 01:01 AM
The V is not the most reliable car I have owned but it sure is the most fun.

Koooop
08-31-05, 01:11 AM
Oh...in that case then drink about 10 beers, call the dealer at about midnight, and arrange to sneak in that night for a test drive for old time's sake......

And steal $20 bucks out of her purse when you're through, then sneak out the window! ;)

Or

You could land a really nice, clean...

1997 - 1998 C5 Corvette

These cars are usually well maintained. Finding a garage queen that was pampered is easy. Active handling was not available on the '97, it might have been on the '98. Those cars are go karts! A blast to drive very, very reliable, easily modified and they get much better mileage than our V cars.

If you need 4 doors a buddy of mine is selling a TMU Impala SS with a rowdy cam cheeeep! I think it's well under $9,000