: Hotchkis performance swaybar

wildwhl
08-29-05, 02:50 PM
I emailed Hotchkis to see if the rumor was true. Good answer below :)

"Hello there. I'm trying to validate a rumor that you have sway-bars in development for the Cadillac CTS-V.

Thanks,

Wildwhl"

Reply:

Yes we are but I do not have a release date as of now. I am told around the 20th of September.
Drew Oliver
Sales/Tech.
Hotchkis LLP.

odysseus
08-29-05, 04:18 PM
Their web site has had them on for a while with a note that says "This item is currently Usually Ships In 7-10 Days". (no, it's not grammatically correct). It sucks that they haven't released them yet.

http://www.hotchkis.net/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=2280

The V part (#2280) is different and bigger (32mm Front, 25mm, rear) than the V6 CTS part (#2279) which is 30mm front and 21mm rear (same as the stock V rear). They're both hollow front and solid rear, but don't appear to be adjustable, like the Eibach rears.

That would be a great option for you V drivers, since anything less is a minor upgrade. Oh, and remember to recycle your old sway bars to us lowly V6 drivers! :D

talalhz
09-25-05, 05:35 PM
Their web site has had them on for a while with a note that says "This item is currently Usually Ships In 7-10 Days". (no, it's not grammatically correct). It sucks that they haven't released them yet.

http://www.hotchkis.net/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=2280

The V part (#2280) is different and bigger (32mm Front, 25mm, rear) than the V6 CTS part (#2279) which is 30mm front and 21mm rear (same as the stock V rear). They're both hollow front and solid rear, but don't appear to be adjustable, like the Eibach rears.

That would be a great option for you V drivers, since anything less is a minor upgrade. Oh, and remember to recycle your old sway bars to us lowly V6 drivers! :D

Any one has them on yet ? I would like some input.

JOEYCTS-V
09-25-05, 09:25 PM
I'm curious myself. My camaro handled a lot better when I put in aftermarket swaybars.

1MEANV
09-25-05, 09:28 PM
i see them for sale on ebay. has anyone else seen them on ebay

ace996
09-25-05, 10:42 PM
This may be the best, off the shelf, suspension upgrade to date for the V...all due respect to Wild for his pioneering of lowering...:worship:

The reason I say this, stems from our need for improved roll-control without a much stiffer-riding spring. The job of the spring is to suspend the vehicle, not to add roll-control. Many tuners or builders also use stiff springs to augment the use of sway-bars, but the resultant harsh-ride is unacceptable to most on the street. When using stiffer sways, the correct job is accomplished by the proper part...springs suspend...sways resist roll. This is a better way to accomplish flatter vehicle attitude, than springing the vehicle to unacceptable rates.

When added to a lower CG, sways also help with bottoming out on turns. When the vehicle has been lowered, without a sufficiently stiffer spring to accomplish the job of suspending the chassis, the vehicle may use all the suspension travel available and then hit the bump-stops. The spring rate is then taken out of the equation and the tire, when encountering a road irregularity, is the only part of the working suspension. If the bump, crack, ect., is too much for the tire to absorb...then there is a loss of traction....a very bad situation could occur at this point. The increased stiffness sways, help counter the bottoming out of the suspension in a turn, therefore allowing some suspension travel to do its job and absorb the bump...keeping contact with the road and the resultant traction thats afforded.

Wild, I find it interesting that Hotchkis chose to increase the rear bar more than the front. I believe that your lowering mod, with the cut rear springs, may afford a similar balancing of the vehicle, at least it is in the same direction. Perhaps a slightly wider tire in the rear would help balance the vehicle to origional specs, either pre-WW mod...or pre-Hotchkis. Either way, helping the rear rotate will aid autoxers and track fiends alike.

I am holding my breath to hear the results of the bars. I believe that the FG2s are damped enough to not warrant replacement, and with Wild's lowering mod added to stiffer bars, there may be a real improvement in handling. One could always use wider tires or pressures to compensate for oversteer, but my gut is telling me that there is a killer set-up to be found.

Bars, lowering, wider tires, and aggressive alignment are all I can address now/Springtime, so there may be some autox/track testing to follow.

It may pay to address the endlinks, as many vehicles with aftermarket sways have suffered bent stock endlinks. I guess we'll see how the stockers hold-up. The transitional forces experienced in autox have claimed many a stock endlink, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were needed. Hotchkis also makes some of the best endlinks available, so I don't think it would be a big deal.

Please keep us posted. Thanks.
Ve good,
ace996

JOEYCTS-V
10-10-05, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the info ace. GTP, have you received/installed your swaybars yet? I'm curious what you think of them. This will probably be one of my next mods. I noticed the Hotchkis is a lot more money than the Eibach kit. :hmm:

JRoller
10-11-05, 12:17 AM
My brother-in-law knows the guys over at Hotchkis. They used my '04 to test and tool the sway bars.
They've proven excellent so far. 1.10 and 1.05 registered easily on the 'g' meter (that's as far as I've pushed it....I know....much better out there...) without bottoming the springs and keeping the feel of control.

ace996
10-11-05, 12:41 AM
JRoller, thanks for being the testbed. Now please plead with the fellas to address the lack of acceptable lowering springs...please. We need something with a little stiffer rate (and linear)that doesn't drop the car on its side-skirts, one inch would be perfect. Point them to this forum and I'm sure they'll see the problems associated with the Eibachs.
Be good,
ace996

moldowan
10-11-05, 12:53 AM
last i spoke with jeff he said october 20th was the date. but...............this will be the 4th "push back" i have heard from them so cross your fingers!!! I have mine on back order, as soon as i get them i will have them on the next day though.

moldy

JOEYCTS-V
10-13-05, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the update.

moldowan
10-13-05, 10:15 AM
I spoke with them today and they said its going to be at least 2 weeks before the kit is released.

Aaron Lephart
sounds like we will see them in mid '07

JOEYCTS-V
10-13-05, 10:36 AM
Maybe they'll be available with the KOOKS headers.