: Wheel hop / Drivetrain

a64pilot
08-29-05, 12:44 PM
Just want to vent for a moment. I just about dosen't matter how strong your driveline is wheel hop/ axle tramp or whatever you call it will eventually break it. The forces at play here are phemonial. The amount of stress the driveline sees from a "hopping" wheel is several times more than it sees if the wheel is not "hopping". It dosen't matter if you are a 4 wheel drive truck at a tractor pull, when the wheel starts hopping, driveline components scatter. If you beef the differential up, then the axle halfs will let go. Beef them up then the driveshaft or tranny let's go etc. etc.
Never, ever let it wheel hop. If you can't come to grips with this, then sell the car and get an Fbody or something else to drag race.
I'm not saying that the rear end in a V isn't weak or that it dosen't need to be stronger. What I am saying is that until the wheel hop problem isn't a problem anymore, stop doing whatever you are doing to make it hop or you will break it.

AmesCTS-V
08-29-05, 12:52 PM
My GTO is my weekend car. The V is my daily driver. I haven't had a problem with it.

04CTSVFLA
08-29-05, 01:07 PM
are you implying in this statement "What I am saying is that until the wheel hop problem isn't a problem anymore, stop doing whatever you are doing to make it hop or you will break it." That eventually it will go away - I think not. The wheel hop problems will always be a wheel hop problem unless you get the necessary upgrades or dont drive your car so hard off the line.

a64pilot
08-29-05, 01:26 PM
are you implying in this statement "What I am saying is that until the wheel hop problem isn't a problem anymore, stop doing whatever you are doing to make it hop or you will break it." That eventually it will go away - I think not. The wheel hop problems will always be a wheel hop problem unless you get the necessary upgrades or dont drive your car so hard off the line.
I agree. Or maybe Caddilac will fix it? What I am trying to say is like the old Dr. joke. You know the one where you tell the Dr. it hurts every time I do this and the Dr. tells you to stop doing that. It's still early in the game.
Example, there were/are a lot of problems with the fuel injectors in the Duramax Diesel. The newer engines were redesigned to make this a lot less of a problem. The older engines warrenty was extended to 200,000 miles and owners were paid for injector replacements they had to pay for themselves.
I believe that GM will be forced to do something with the rear end on the V just as they did with the Dmax Diesel. A lot of people dumped their trucks and took large losses out of disgust and the expectation that the resale value would take a huge hit. None of that happened, it took a while, but GM stepped up to bat and did the right thing with the trucks. I think they will do the same thing here, it will just take awhile. In the mean time baby the thing and wait until this thing plays out. Realistically how many other options have you got?
Enjoy the many other fine attributes the car has to offer other than a jack rabbit start. I'm not saying give up or don't fight, just resolution will take some time and is not coming tomorrow.

CTSV05
08-29-05, 01:37 PM
Oh, I must disagree sir.

I DID SOMETHING ABOUT THE WHEEL-HOP.

I now I'm being duly rewarded with a warranty denial on a rearend that broke the case beside the front plate.

HDMLNIUM
08-29-05, 03:53 PM
I also have to disagree, my car does not wheel hop, look at any of my videos..
It did for a very brief period until I put the full under car BMR parts on. I made three passes I think before I put on all the wheel hop stuff. I never let her hop more than a 3 hop, would push the clutch back in and only did this a hanfull of times. No cracks, no leaks, and everything was fine with the diff. About 3000 miles later with "no hoping" she had a very little leak start. with in a week or so and I only drive my car on the weekends the leak got worse. Brought it to the dealer and low and behold the case cracked.. So it is the weak diff case and not only if you let your car hop. The hope can be cured, but the diff needs a new stronger case period...
Just my opinions, but I know what my car does and I know she doesn't hop like it did stock..

Bill