: XM Radio Reception

buhin
08-29-05, 11:23 AM
Hello,

Anyone have trouble with XM radio Reception? Could be just satellite issues, but I have noticed that rainy days are particularly bad (keeps cutting in and out) and even on non-rainy days, if traveling on roads with a lot of tree cover, the reception is also quite poor.

Don't want to say too much to dealer as have no other problems with the system and don't necessarily want a re-build stuck in (with potentially other problems).

Anyway, any comments appreciated - thanks.

Jim_V
08-29-05, 12:12 PM
I have noticed that in a few locations the reception is poor. The main location, which is one street right near my house for about a half mile, is unusual because there is no obvious cause for the problem. I wonder if someone has a powerful ham radio or something blasting the airwaves.

miked
08-29-05, 03:32 PM
For XM to work, you need a clean line of sight to the satellite, which is south of the entire continental US (and more or less centered east to west). Roads with a lot of tree cover will necessarily cause XM to lose reception, as it can't see the satellite (similar to tunnels, etc.). It does have buffering -- something like 5-10 seconds -- but if you switch stations a lot, the buffering starts over each time you switch . . . .

buhin
08-30-05, 03:51 PM
Thanks. Pretty much what I expected - but nice to get confirmation.

miked
08-31-05, 01:54 AM
There is also a little bit of signal reflection. I'm always surprised that I can get a signal with the srx in my garage and the garage door opened (garage faces the north).

AccElan01
09-07-05, 03:56 PM
That's one of the reasons that Sirius is better than XM. Sirius has 3 satellites as opposed to XM's 2, so the signal is a lot easier to acquire. I have Sirius in my Highlander and I only lose signal in tunnels or parking garages. The XM seems to lose signal more often. I wish GM would offer Sirius as well as XM.

Garnsmeyer
09-07-05, 06:51 PM
Our XM radio reception is EXCELLENT! The only times it has cut out were on a small portion of I-70 in Glenwood Canyon, Colorado, and an even smaller portion of I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge, Arizona. Both areas involved very narrow, steep cliffs alongside the highways. Even in our garage, it will cut out for a few seconds, then come back on with strong reception.

We think XM is great, and would never consider a competing satellite radio system that pays $Millions to Howard Stern!!!

gman89
09-07-05, 11:01 PM
GM will never offer Sirius. They own a big chunk of XM.