: Cadillac Senior Seminar Project Input...

tru504187211
11-21-03, 03:25 PM
Hello all...
I need some help brainstorming. Next semester will be my final semester at the University, and as a Computer Science major, I have to complete a final project to showcase the skills which I have acuired in the past 4 years at school. We were told to ask people in the computer industry for help on projects they need done, but all I could think about driving home in the Caddy from school that day was "could I somehow use a laptop or my PDA in the car to control/ read __?" Ideas that have floated in my head were reading different temperatures and to send them through IR to the computer or to read different RPMs or something. I would love to finalize my bachelors degree with 2 things i love..Computers and Cadillacs, so if you have ever dreamt of something you wish you could do while in the car similar to that or something completely different, I would be very appreciative of your input. Thanx
Jacob Hoppe

JJhomer83
11-21-03, 03:55 PM
Hello all...
I need some help brainstorming. Next semester will be my final semester at the University, and as a Computer Science major, I have to complete a final project to showcase the skills which I have acuired in the past 4 years at school. We were told to ask people in the computer industry for help on projects they need done, but all I could think about driving home in the Caddy from school that day was "could I somehow use a laptop or my PDA in the car to control/ read __?" Ideas that have floated in my head were reading different temperatures and to send them through IR to the computer or to read different RPMs or something. I would love to finalize my bachelors degree with 2 things i love..Computers and Cadillacs, so if you have ever dreamt of something you wish you could do while in the car similar to that or something completely different, I would be very appreciative of your input. Thanx
Jacob Hoppe

Well I forsee some issues with hooking the computer up to the caddy is having sensors everwhere. Your going to need to mount them all over the place. How bout doing something with the "ride" of the car. Having sensors in the car and measure noise from motor, wind, etc....
If you want to go ALL out you can make the car controlled by the computer. Have sensors in a parking lot and have the car read them. So the car takes the info that it reads from the sensors on weather to slow down, speed up stop etc....
ill try and think of others for you when i get a chance let me know if this helps ya or not

tru504187211
11-21-03, 04:01 PM
Oh hell yea that helps!!!
You got my mind moving even further...distance from curb sensors and a computer outputing the distance to the driver though a simple software program. Keep 'em coming.. Thanx a bunch JJ!
Jacob Hoppe

JJhomer83
11-21-03, 04:31 PM
Oh hell yea that helps!!!
You got my mind moving even further...distance from curb sensors and a computer outputing the distance to the driver though a simple software program. Keep 'em coming.. Thanx a bunch JJ!
Jacob Hoppe

If you have digital gauges that would be great b/c you can acually use them as a sensor for speed. for the acceleration part of it use the cruise control. For the breaking part your going to have to think hard about that one. Maybe a hydrolic cyclinder pusing on the pedal of some sort. for turning the wheel you can hook up a pulley system on the steering wheel. rope is wrapped around a cyclinder that is turned by the computer. cyclinder turns one way makes one rope long and the other short turns the wheel for you.
Jacob if you keep feeding me ideas so i can feed you we'll brain storm together to get further

tru504187211
11-21-03, 06:42 PM
I spent much of the afternoon looking at sensors that could be used if distance from curb/ car. Yea, ummmm, I could buy another caddy with that price of one of those sensors. lol. here is the series that I was looking at...

http://www.acuityresearch.com/products/ar600/index.shtml

So that's about where I am at now, nothing is set in stone, so I am completely open to more ideas, different sensors, completely different ideas also. Thanx again JJ...If this is actually done, I would be obligated to include you in my Project Thanks section of the paper...
Jacob Hoppe

DaveSmed
11-21-03, 07:25 PM
Ouch. Why don't you look into getting the Ultrasonc Rear parking assist used in newer Cadillacs and adapting that to your situation? Or if you have loads of ambition, try finding the adaptive cruse control sensor used on some cars.

c5 rv
11-21-03, 08:15 PM
How about something with a laptop or PDA-based OBD-II tuner / dyno? Design a series of experiments to monitor / alter parameters to improve torque, HP, 0-60, etc. If you have an older caddy, maybe it supports OBD-I instead and there is some software out for that, too.

tru504187211
11-21-03, 09:27 PM
This is EXACTLY what I needed...ideas from everyone! Thanx to all. That Ultrasonic Rear parking assist is something that I am looking into to model this after Cadillac's model...EXCELLENT THOUGHT! And if the Doctor that approves topics says it needs to be even more in depth...HP or a 0-60 measurements would be PERFECT! Damn, if I had hydraulics, I could put sensors on the bottom, front, and sides and watch the distance from the car to the ground decrease and increase. I was behind a badass Towncar that started swangin' at the light right in front few days ago...too bad it took too long for me to get the camera out...got anymore ideas? - Keep 'em Comin!!
Jacob Hoppe

JJhomer83
11-24-03, 12:56 PM
Jacob,
so what's the verdict man you got yourself locked on any ideas????

tru504187211
11-24-03, 08:13 PM
I will hopefully know tomorrow when I run these ideas past the Doctor...(the approver of topics)...if he liked any of them, I'll for sure be the first one with a topic!

JJhomer83
11-25-03, 01:07 AM
I will hopefully know tomorrow when I run these ideas past the Doctor...(the approver of topics)...if he liked any of them, I'll for sure be the first one with a topic!

Hope yours gets chosen let us know

tru504187211
11-27-03, 07:45 PM
The verdict is in...
I explained my senior seminar project proposals to the chairperson of the department, and the one he was into the most was the one that was most useful to me! He really enjoyed the one about replicating Cadillac's ultrasonic rear parking assit, because "it incorporates hardware and the software development process into one integrated project". Here is the sensor that I found. (It's the bottom one with rs232 digital output)

http://www.robotica.co.uk/robotica/ramc/products/sensors/ultra_sensor.htm

The software will be made by me and output the distance from the car or other object to the laptop that is sitting next to the driver. It will be completed by the end of next semester, so about May 10th, 2004. I will be absolutely certain to be periodically posting my progress and in about May....the final project will be on the internet with a few pages dedicated to the project! Wish me luck!
Jacob Hoppe

tru504187211
04-25-04, 02:33 AM
Update:

My project is basically done and tested. Only deal left is to fully install the system into the Caddy. My 45 min presentation is scheduled for May 11th. The 50 page paper is also due that day. A few days before or a few days after the presentation, I plan to have a few pages up timelining and documenting this project for all who are interested. Thanks for the support and input this entire time!!

Jacob Hoppe

Msilva954
04-25-04, 09:06 AM
WOW that sounds great, did you end up using just one sensor? or a multiple amount? Id like to see how to retro fit it to the front bumper.

tru504187211
04-25-04, 11:45 AM
Just one sensor, as it was $178 with the circuit board and the transducer itself to send out the ultrasonic waves. I'd need superior knowledge to hook up more than one to the same computer! I thought I had a hard enough time with one sensor! More than one boggles my mind. :eek:

Msilva954
04-25-04, 12:04 PM
Does that one sensor give a 90 degree agle of radar or 45 or 120? This would work great for perallel parking or just getting into a garage or tight space.

tru504187211
04-25-04, 02:06 PM
I wish it were a bit larger of a beam pattern, but its only 15 degrees - the right amount for backing into a space when you cant see the back, or just dont want to move up in your seat to look! At 1', the beam is about 4.6" wide, at 5', its about 17" and at 10' its about 33". Hopefully that clears it up a bit. Yea, it would be even nicer to have some side sensors to detect the curb distance for parallel parking. Nice idea!

Msilva954
04-25-04, 02:20 PM
Yea that would be nice, dont know where it was but in article it said that the Toyota Prius in Japan has a system that detects the perrallel soroundings and it steers as you accel/decel.

Another nice idea would have been to retro fit the night vision from the newer DTS on to your model.....I might try it one day.

tru504187211
05-02-04, 10:12 PM
Alright, the final product has been installed in the Caddy and fully tested! Thanx for all the previous posts above for interest in my project.

Msilva954
05-02-04, 10:16 PM
Do you have pics of the install?

tru504187211
05-02-04, 10:26 PM
Will have a page devoted to it at the end of this week, so I'll post pics as soon as the site is up. It'll also have a link to the 50 page paper that goes with the project, as well as some Data Flow Diagrams and other technical images.

tru504187211
05-10-04, 06:18 PM
Well, tomorrow = 40-45 mins of pure hell...site up soon...