: idle speed adjust?

onecad
11-21-03, 03:22 PM
Can someone tell me how to change the idle speed, I would like to raise it a little for my emmisions test.
I have to do an emmissions test and found some tips and tricks: Which is why I am asking about how to raise the idle a little. I understand with the idle up a little more everything is running cleaner since my car has a bit of a hesitation at low idle.

The other tips and tricks I read about were:

1.Change air filter.
2.Run a tank of high octane gas.
3.In that tank of high octane add a litre of methyl hydrate (alcohol)
4.Change the oil.
5.Change plugs.

Anything else anyone wants to add for my emmissions test?

thanks joe

AKPsiMC03
11-21-03, 04:57 PM
if you restrict the air coming in then the emissions go down because the car will read that and feed it less gas.

you cant do this on a North* but on a car with a distributor you can lower the base timing to below stock to make it run almost like crap and have no power, but it will help the emissions. I did this on a 5.0 ford with no cats and passed

oh yeah, what you can do. put premium in, run it down to 1/4 tank, put 3 bottles of alcohol in then go like that

onecad
11-21-03, 06:00 PM
well i passed the safety test with absolutely no problems.
So now all I have left is that damn emissions test....have my fingers crossed....
thanks for any and all help

onecad
11-24-03, 12:19 PM
when you say to put in 3 bottles you mean 3 quarts(litres) right??...
might be dumb question just want to be sure......and is methyl hydrate ok?...or what do y ou recommend?
thanks,
joe

mcowden
11-24-03, 12:32 PM
Can someone tell me how to change the idle speed, I would like to raise it a little for my emmisions test.

Anything else anyone wants to add for my emmissions test?
One thing to consider is that, if the car is a '96 or newer, they may not do an actual tailpipe emissions measurement test. When I took my '96 in for inspection, they just looked for computer codes indicating a faulty or failing oxygen sensor. No codes passes the test. Not sure if they go on to do the actual test if there are codes, but you may never get that far anyway. If emissions are really a problem, replace the O2 sensors and you may solve the root cause of the problem anyway. The one that's usually a problem first is the one right before the cat, at least on a '96 SLS...