: ls2 vs ls6

sharky1
08-27-05, 09:42 PM
can anyone tell me the diff between the 2?

DrivingAmericanNow
08-27-05, 10:09 PM
4 :histeric:

DrivingAmericanNow
08-27-05, 10:17 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist :D .

That's a common topic here; everyone's interested in the differences, given the fact that they're moving to the LS2 in the V for 2006.

Essentially it's this:
The LS6 is the ultimate evolution of the "previous" generation of high performance engine. There are loads of aftermarket parts for it and it's proven itself quite nicely over the years. Sadly though, it's coming to the end of its production life.
The LS2 is the next generation motor, so there's not as many aftermarket parts ready for it yet and it has less of a track record. The main problem with it I think is emotional. It was the runner-up engine to the LS6 over in Corvette land because the Z06 got the LS6 while the regular Corvette got the LS2. This surely makes the impression that the LS2 is a "lesser" engine. Add to that the fact that the Pontiac GTO is also plodding along with the LS2, and the impression that the LS2 is a lesser engine than the LS6 gets hugely reinforced.

There are many people on this list that know engines far better than I, and they've helped quell my fears that the V is being weakened by the retirement of the LS6. Most believe in the long run, the LS2 has a good chance of becoming a stronger engine than the LS6. Let's hope so.

c4racer
08-28-05, 02:28 AM
Interesting article in the latest GMHTP on the LS2 GTO, and in dyno testing they said the LS2 in the GTO was down ~20-30 HP (forget if RW or FW) to the LS6 vette, and probably at least half that was platform differences between GTO and vette. But they suggested that the LS2 was a weaker motor. Makes more tq, but less hp up high and a lower rev limit too. I am glad to have the LS6 because it makes giving up my Z06 less painful - in effect I just transplanted the drivetrain into a more useful 4-door chassis.

Scott

Devil_concours
08-28-05, 10:53 AM
Interesting article in the latest GMHTP on the LS2 GTO, and in dyno testing they said the LS2 in the GTO was down ~20-30 HP (forget if RW or FW) to the LS6 vette, and probably at least half that was platform differences between GTO and vette. But they suggested that the LS2 was a weaker motor. Makes more tq, but less hp up high and a lower rev limit too. I am glad to have the LS6 because it makes giving up my Z06 less painful - in effect I just transplanted the drivetrain into a more useful 4-door chassis.

Scott
i think i remember seeing a engine dyno graph supplied by gm for the new c6 vettes and it had more power under the curve for ls2 than ls6. There were even rumors that gm had cut the graph short to make sure ls6 (z06) owners don't get pissed by this

Mark VerMurlen
08-28-05, 04:54 PM
The LS1 in the Corvette coupes and convertibles was the "little brother" to the LS6 in the Corvette Z06. Both engines were 5.7 liters or 346 ci. The LS1 was rated at 345 HP when it first came out in 1997 and was then bumped to 350 HP a couple years later. The LS6 was originally 385 HP when first introduced in 2001 and was bumped to 405 HP in 2002. The LS1 redline is 6000 rpm and the LS6 redline is 6500 rpm.

The new LS2 is 6.0 liters or 364 ci and rated at 400 HP in the 2005 Corvette coupes and convertibles. The redline of the LS2 is 6500 rpm, the same as the LS6. The general opinion in the Corvette world is that torque has been improved quite a bit in the LS2 compared to the LS1 and LS6. I would think the extra torque of the LS2 would help in the heavier CTS. More cubic inches is never bad. I certainly don't consider the LS2 to be a "lesser motor".

- Mark