: Coolant leak and desparate

chgobr
08-27-05, 03:15 PM
98 DeVille runs great but loses a pint of coolant per week for past year. It has been pressure checked 5 times and no leaks found. No smoke coming from exhaust (head gasket problem). No coolant on garage floor. I do not know what to do. I drive the car 90 miles/hour with hard acceleration. Is that a factor? Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Ralph
08-27-05, 03:33 PM
Are you using the required sealing pellets?? I had the same problem, even in other cars with aluminium heads, but try the GM pellets. Crush them up and try to put them in the radiator, when cool.

Ranger
08-27-05, 04:52 PM
Put them in the radiator HOSE, NOT in the surge tank.

youbetcha77
08-28-05, 01:34 PM
Are you using the required sealing pellets?? I had the same problem, even in other cars with aluminium heads, but try the GM pellets. Crush them up and try to put them in the radiator, when cool.
sometimes I feel that the pellets were a marketed way to mask cooling system leaks till after the warranty.

Blaze

zindale316
08-28-05, 05:48 PM
lol yep ive done a bunch of recalls on 3.8 ltrs in c and h bodies and was to add pellets for coolant leaks at throttle body

Ralph
08-28-05, 06:06 PM
sometimes I feel that the pellets were a marketed way to mask cooling system leaks till after the warranty.

Blaze

They sure keep my coolant level from slightly dropping, like it used to.

youbetcha77
08-28-05, 09:16 PM
They sure keep my coolant level from slightly dropping, like it used to.
Thats because it was leaking somewhere, but not enough to make it to the ground, engine heat most likely evaporating it. The pellets make a quick fix. I dont think I would start cross-country with the only stopping a leak, but organic dust.

Blaze

chgobr
08-29-05, 08:39 PM
To all above -

I appeciate your help and will try the pellets. Your help is very much appreciated.

kaps52
08-29-05, 10:00 PM
some times coolant only leaks at certain temps. some times water pump only leak at certain temps that why ypu would not see a leak while pressuriezed or why there is no puddles

zonie77
08-29-05, 11:28 PM
I thought I had added to this but don't see it.

If the amount hasn't changed in a year it probably isn't head gaskets.

I would think it might be a leak in the heater core area. If it's small it isn't noticeable. The stopleak tabs should take care of this.

chgobr
08-31-05, 05:29 PM
I put the coolant sealant pellets in today. I will let you know if it works. Again thans for your help!

chgobr
09-17-05, 04:17 PM
I went to dealer to install the pellets. I thought if this caused a problem they would have to deal with it. I told them to put them directly into the radiator and they put them into the surge tank. It took a week to get them dissolved. Coolant dropped 2 pints as ususal. This is the first week I've driven the car since pellets dissolved. So far coolant level has remained full. No addding coolant necessary. I will keep everyone updated to see if this lasts. It is hard to believe the pellets would prevent leaking two pints of fluid. I'm rooting for this to last.

Ranger
09-17-05, 05:06 PM
The tabs will break down long before a week. However, the surge tank has low flow so it takes a long time (if at all) for the material to get disperssed through the system. The tabs are obviously doing what they were designed to do. If however, it was a headgasket, it will start to leak again as the tabs will not seal a bad head gasket so keep an eye on it and good luck.

Ralph
09-17-05, 06:06 PM
I went to dealer to install the pellets. I thought if this caused a problem they would have to deal with it. I told them to put them directly into the radiator and they put them into the surge tank. It took a week to get them dissolved.

I can't believe they would put them in the overflow tank! They had to flush my overflow tank twice because it had 2 inches of crud from the previous pellets on the bottom and they would not circulate!

chgobr
09-24-05, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. Another week later and there is no drop in the coolant level. I am pleased but still skeptical. It seems so unlikely losing 1 - 2 pints of fluid q 1-2 weeks could be corrected by these pellets. If this does work putting the pellets in the surge tank was not a problem. I did have to push them down into the tank after they gooked up by the coolant cap. I will continue to update.

mcowden
09-24-05, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Another week later and there is no drop in the coolant level. I am pleased but still skeptical. It seems so unlikely losing 1 - 2 pints of fluid q 1-2 weeks could be corrected by these pellets. If this does work putting the pellets in the surge tank was not a problem. I did have to push them down into the tank after they gooked up by the coolant cap. I will continue to update.

Unfortunately, pushing them down into the tank probably won't help anything. They are most likely still sitting in the tank and not getting distributed the way they should be. The dealership did you an injustice, and the tech that did it is a complete moron. The pellets should ONLY be installed in the hose, NEVER in the surge tank. Those pellets are probably doing you no good whatsoever, and I personally think you should go get your money back and then do the job yourself.

carkeekc
10-16-05, 12:43 AM
Did the leak stay fixed?

Thank you,
Charles