: Quite Possibly The Best "Dry" Tire On The Market

steve711
08-27-05, 10:04 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&code=yes&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup&GCID=C13674x017&

Dreamin
08-27-05, 07:52 PM
That's a track tire... can be driven to and from the track... but they're not going to last on the street.

As far as track tires... Hoosiers are the Best "Dry" Tire... MHO.

ace996
08-27-05, 10:40 PM
Best Track - Hoosier
Best Street- Falken Azenis 615
These opinions have been proven at countless track events and autocrosses Nationwide.
The Pilot Sport Cups are a top notch tire that may trade ultimate grip with a longer life than Hoosiers.

Vrocks
08-27-05, 11:00 PM
Best Track - Hoosier
Best Street- Falken Azenis 615
These opinions have been proven at countless track events and autocrosses Nationwide.
The Pilot Sport Cups are a top notch tire that may trade ultimate grip with a longer life than Hoosiers.
Hey Ace996,

Do you use the Falken Azenis 615's on your V? I'm looking for new tires and I haven't heard anything about the Falkens.

Devil_concours
08-28-05, 10:49 AM
That's a track tire... can be driven to and from the track... but they're not going to last on the street.

As far as track tires... Hoosiers are the Best "Dry" Tire... MHO.
kumhos are pretty good too

CVP33
08-28-05, 01:10 PM
I picked up a set of Falken Azensis of ebay cheap. I mounted them yesterday. 255/45/18. I expected them to be wider, but they are actually taller and not really wider at all. Grip is ok, not great. Tires are new so I'll reserve final judgement for another time. These definitely fill the wheel well better. And no rubbing.

ace996
08-28-05, 07:21 PM
Vrocks,
No, I don't currently run the Falkens on the V. I've used them on my MR2Spyder and they are phenomenal. I've done autox runs in a friend's BMW 325 with the new Falken 615s and were totally blown away. They hold a line like no other street tire I've ever driven and severely close the gap between street tires and race-compound rubber. If I keep the V past the winter, I'll mount the 255s in the Spring.

CVP33,
Just wait till you wear off the mold release... If you are running the older 215s, they wear very well for the level of grip/level of cost. Keep in mind, they don't like to get too hot, many autocrossers use a weed sprayer with cold water to bring down the temps between runs on hot days.

For the money, and even with the cost not factored in, the Falkens are a top notch tire that uses a very stiff sidewall that is a great alternative to our runflats. Give them some time, and then please let us know your thoughts.

Good luck.

v-Power
08-29-05, 01:23 AM
What else would you consider?

Shinkaze
08-29-05, 02:17 PM
FWIW I used to daily drive R-Compound rubber on my Trans Am. All were horrid in the rain and averaged about 3,000 miles of tread life. (you can run them to 10K, but after 3K they're no better than a Max performance tire)

Kuhmo Victoracer Autocross tire
Great tire, good feedback and easy to handle. I got about 3K out of this tire.

Yokohama A032R
DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE. Ever hear a monster truck? That's what your tires sound like with these beasites on. They afford great grip, but after installing them I had to pull over and make sure something wasn't broken on the car it was making so much noise. Hell you could even hear the tire noise over my Exhaust cut-out...that's loud.

BFG Drag Radial 315/35 R17
Don't drive this one on the street. Maybe smaller sizes aren't as dangerous, but the 315/35 R17 tends to sidestep in traffic for no particualr reason. I would equate the feeling of this tire to the sensation of having 4 wheel steering, with the steering wheel to the rear tires being controlled by CB radio.

Nitto Drag Radial
Got about 10K useable life from this, good tire, more or less feels like a street tire but isn't nearly as sticky as other tires in the market.

Anyhow, be warned R-Ompound tires are designed for the track, which is both good and bad. They Fling rubber onto your body panels, pick up rocks, generate a lot of noise and drive harshness into the cabin and last about as long as an oil change.... God help you if you hit a pot-hole they're made so light and flimsy the belts seperate easy. In the rain they're useless, heck even a hummid day will make driving the car akin to a roller coaster ride.

All that said, if you have the tollerance for abuse of an 18 year old, play joe-hero on the streets and only drive on super dry days, then R-Compund tires are a hoot, but maybe after turning 30 I turned into a grumpy old codger, `cause the reality is that, at the point these things are worthwhile beyond a max performance tire, you're allready endangering yourself what the street can afford you.

-Adam

Silver Baron
08-29-05, 08:04 PM
All that said, if you have the tollerance for abuse of an 18 year old, play joe-hero on the streets and only drive on super dry days, then R-Compund tires are a hoot, but maybe after turning 30 I turned into a grumpy old codger :histeric: :histeric:
I hear you. I am 45

What Falken 615 do you suggest? They don't make stock size 245/45/18.

Shinkaze
08-29-05, 09:31 PM
:histeric: :histeric:
I hear you. I am 45

What Falken 615 do you suggest? They don't make stock size 245/45/18.I'd give a CTS-V owner the same advice I give anyone looking for a decent performance tire. Ditch the Run Flats, get a tire repair kit, and buy the best "Max performance" Street Tire that will fit your car (Like a BFG G-Force KD, Pilot Sport, etc). What you loose in at the limit adhesion, you'll happily take in real world civility. As someone that has been through ~5 sets of R-Compund tires on street cars, I can say I now understand why track tire are for the track and street tires are for the street.

FWIW I blame R-compund track tires for (3) blown differentials, and two full sets of shocks destroyed in my TA.

ace996
08-29-05, 10:22 PM
255/40/18 on all four corners. Due to the V's weight, any additional rubber will lead to better performance and tire life. The sidewall will be a little smaller, but not by much.
Again, for the money, you cannot find a better STREET tire than the Falkens. They are known to have a stiff sidewall, not as much as a run flat, so you should have some peace of mind in regard to added safety for your rims.

If there wasn't the Falken, I'd go with a Kumho street tire. They're cheap, good performance, and wear well. That'd be my number two choice. In regards to the major manufacturers like Michelin, Bridgestone, ect....the prices they charge for their top rubber is outrageous. There is most of the performance and wear characteristics available cheaper, but you don't have to pay for F1 sponsorship....