: Don't rotate the tires !

DG2
08-26-05, 11:25 PM
Took my SRX to a Goodyear tire place to rotate the tires because the 2 front tires started to show wear on the edges ( 28,000 miles). The Goodyear employee wastelling me it was my fault the fronts wore on the edge because I should have rotated the tires every 7,000 miles. Well, a couple of weeks later I noticed that the SRX uses different size tires for the front and rear ( 235 fronts-255 rear). So, I took it back to the dealer and had them rotated back and put a new set of Michelin Pilot's up front.

Just thought I would pass on this bit of info to all of you....:cool2:

john d
08-27-05, 01:58 AM
When we bought the SRX new, before we could drive off the dealer had us sign a form acknowledging the tires couldn't be rotated due to the front/rear size difference. Then .... when I took the car in for the first recall at 7k miles to the dealer the service guy said the tires need rotating and a Mobil 1 oil change.
I asked about the "no rotate" directive form and my oil life was showing over 30% left yet. He said that tires should be rotated "side to side" and oil should be changed every 6k miles. I'm following the manufactures rules.

BANK
08-27-05, 06:09 PM
Hey did anyone notice if the 255s up front has any clearence/rubbing issues? I think I may be using the 255s on all fours before to long.

louisn
08-27-05, 09:55 PM
Hey did anyone notice if the 255s up front has any clearence/rubbing issues? I think I may be using the 255s on all fours before to long.
I wonder if that would affect handling, stability control, braking.........I wonder why the SRx has different size tires if they weren't necessary?

57TBird
08-28-05, 09:17 AM
I've read that radials should never be rotated side to side. It has something to do with steel belt break in. Once a tire is "used to" rotating in one direction, changing the direction of rotation leads to belt seperation and "lumps" in the tire.

I'm also interested in what tire size you can use on all fours with 20" rims (assuming you have 30 to 40mm backspacing, which is all you can get on the aftermarket 20" rims that fit the SRX & CTS-V). I want the widest tire possible that will clear in the inside (doesn't hit the suspension or get to close to the exhaust when turning, going over speed bumps, etc.). I'm not as worried on the outside, as I'll probably be adding the body paint matching fender flares, once the prices come down.

Thanks.

Mike McNamee
2005 SRX V8
1957 ThunderBird restomod
2000 Harley Softail Deuce

Kev
08-29-05, 08:43 AM
I've read that radials should never be rotated side to side. It has something to do with steel belt break in. Once a tire is "used to" rotating in one direction, changing the direction of rotation leads to belt seperation and "lumps" in the tire.

I'm also interested in what tire size you can use on all fours with 20" rims (assuming you have 30 to 40mm backspacing, which is all you can get on the aftermarket 20" rims that fit the SRX & CTS-V). I want the widest tire possible that will clear in the inside (doesn't hit the suspension or get to close to the exhaust when turning, going over speed bumps, etc.). I'm not as worried on the outside, as I'll probably be adding the body paint matching fender flares, once the prices come down.

Thanks.

Mike McNamee
2005 SRX V8
1957 ThunderBird restomod
2000 Harley Softail DeuceI have had three sets of Goodyear Eagle GTII's on my Mustang LX, size 225/50/16, each from which I got 80,000 miles. These tires are non-directional (usually has to do with the tread design) I had them cross rotated faithfully at every oil change (3,000 miles) I have never experienced belt separation.

Smokin' SRX
08-29-05, 01:29 PM
Hi! I just looked at the tires and there is no "direction arrow" as my old Grand Prix GTP had on the sidewalls. This absence indicates that cross rotation is possible. "Adviseable" is a different story. Many cars (tire co.) allow cross rotation patterns. Reccomend carefull reading of owners manual first! (mine is at my office while I'm on vacation!)

I would not interchange front and rear sizes! It may work, BUT the design engineers had a clearence/performance/stability issue in mind when they spec them out. Would stay stock sizes for now just in case that 1% issue/problem they were worried about happens! Good luck!

john d
08-29-05, 01:39 PM
I called Michelin's enginerring/techincal department and they said the Pilot on the SRX's could be side to side rotated.

MortnCyn
08-29-05, 03:38 PM
My MARK VIII has directional wheels but not tires so I rotate front to back to front. Maybe just a personal thing, but I do not like side to side or X rotation. My experience was that the tires sure get noisy when you roll them the other direction.

Kev
08-29-05, 03:45 PM
My MARK VIII has directional wheels but not tires so I rotate front to back to front. Maybe just a personal thing, but I do not like side to side or X rotation. My experience was that the tires sure get noisy when you roll them the other direction.I think if your alignment is straight and true and the tires are rotated often enough there should be no noise distinguishable after cross rotation. I would suspect the tires may be wearing unevenly if there is noise. I'm no expert by any means, I'm only going by the experience I've had with mine. I never noticed any noise from the tires after cross rotating but since I had them rotated every 3,000 miles or so I suppose they never really had the chance to wear in one direction for long?

rackey
08-29-05, 07:36 PM
My 05 manual states; do not rotate.

pagpc
08-29-05, 07:40 PM
we need to use them us, and get four of the same size. i offered to trade my rears for fronts, but nobody local would do it. then they can be rotated normally.

pagpc

pagpc
08-29-05, 07:41 PM
make that use them UP.

sorry

pagpc