: new radiator, now engine overheats

starfox86
08-26-05, 03:09 PM
I just perchased a new radiator for my 94 sls. when I installed it, the engine overheated. it seems like the upper radiator hose isnt getting much pressure and the bottom is getting alot. my old radiator was holding a temp of 200-230, i think it was a little clogged because it would get to as much as 234 sitting still , but not any higher. i replaced it because there was a leak where the trans fluid would go in. so, is there something i needed to do after installing it , besides flushing the system? now, i dont have the tablets in , I was going to get them after i installed it.

VinnyT
08-26-05, 05:19 PM
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck closed. Did you check it when you changed the radiator? Is the top hose warm and the bottom hot? If it is, it is the stat.

Dadillac
08-26-05, 09:48 PM
It is very easy to install a thermostat the wrong way. Make sure that the stat has the spring end facing in towards the engine block, not the radiator.

Don

terrible one
08-27-05, 01:02 PM
I'm going to agree with everyone else, and say it was the stat. Was it replaced along with the radiator? If so, I'm thinking you didn't install it right. If it wasn't, it could be a bad t-stat