: Unable to communicate with the console cluster

Alifard
04-19-14, 05:07 AM
Hi everyone ,

My 2001 deville was parked for a while and the battery went dead. I jump started it, the first time my instrument cluster was blank. On a second jump , I Found My Console Cluster Lit up with (((ABS))) (((Airbag))) and the (((Battery Light))). My Display would not read out percentages of gas used, Oil Life, ETC the Words were all There, But no numbers or results. My mechanic hooked it up to his computer and it was giving him a code and a Message saying (((Unable to communicate with the console cluster))) Has anyone had this issue before or may be able to advise?

Ranger
04-19-14, 10:59 AM
Start by pulling your own codes (DTC's). See the DTC Sticky if you need help. Post them AND their definitions.

maeng9981
04-20-14, 03:21 AM
If your car was fine before sitting, most likely your battery is long gone. A jump start with a flat-dead battery would be no use. These cars are heavy on electronics and will requite quite a lot of juice, and the dead battery might be working as a load, not properly supplying the boosted electricity to the modules. Check your battery voltage with a multimeter (without boosting it beforehand) and replace it if it's any below 12V.

eldoedwardo
04-21-14, 05:41 PM
to anyone that read this, do not run your car with a dead battery. It will suck the life out your alternator like a stargate
alien....Ed

basscatt
04-21-14, 06:56 PM
to anyone that read this, do not run your car with a dead battery. It will suck the life out your alternator like a stargate
alien....Ed
===========================:yeah: 100% TRUE

Ranger
04-21-14, 09:37 PM
You NEVER want to use the alternator to charge a dead battery.

ocgltd
06-03-14, 10:47 PM
Did you ever solve this? See one of my older posts "dashboards gone wild". Replace the battery and that may just fix it for you. (At least test the battery).

Alifard
06-03-14, 11:02 PM
Did you ever solve this? See one of my older posts "dashboards gone wild". Replace the battery and that may just fix it for you. (At least test the battery).

That's exactly what it was...a battery change solved it all