: North Star Engine Disappointment (copy)

CBW
04-17-14, 04:48 PM
Wow...
My dad purchased the North Star for my mom and it has 101,000 miles right now. She is 82 yrs old and has begun having problems with her vehicle. We had a new fuel pump put on three weeks ago, and thought that we were in the clear. A few days ago, while driving , we noticed that it's hard to pull up a hill, and it sounds like it wants to stall at stop signs and red lights. I just walked to the dealership to pick her car up from this maintenance job and was told that we should probably not put anymore money into maintenance. She doesn't want to get rid of it because it was the last thing that my dad purchased for her. I thought about getting a rebuilt engine because the body is showroom quality. I consulted with the mechanic, and he told me that it would be a bad idea to do that because the engines on the NS are just bad. My dad is a WWII vet, and believed in everything American. He would never, ever consider buying something that was not from one of the big three auto makers. I am so disappointed of what I have been reading...but I thank you SO much for your feedback.

Your CF account is now activated. Please use the Profile and Settings tabs to update your profile. It is essentially useless. Car owned ?? Approximate location ?? Time zone ?? Birth date ?? I doubt that you will see any GM reply to this post. You have received a LOT of false information. Let's copy this to Engines, Northstar and see if the mechanics can guide you. There will be no further replies here in Cadillac Corporate.

MoistCabbage
04-17-14, 05:53 PM
Your mechanic is either misinformed, or an idiot.

The fuel pump has nothing to do with the engine itself.

A lack of power does NOT indicate the need for a rebuild.

What year/model are we talking about?

Is the check engine light on?

Caddy-EaRL
04-17-14, 08:08 PM
Not too mention the Northstar is a work of art. It's an amazing engine.

Ranger
04-17-14, 08:56 PM
So many questions need to be answered. I seriously doubt you need a new engine though.

Please update your profile to show your year and model.

97EldoCoupe
04-17-14, 09:53 PM
The Northstar is an AMAZING engine just as Caddy_Earl had stated. Very few problems other than the occasional head gasket and oil leak; often as the engines age and get older. All of these things can be fixed with new gaskets and a stud kit from us, but by the sounds of it you don't need that yet.

General Motors made an excellent product and even though the Northstar design is now over 20 years old, they still perform quite well even for today's standards.

Welcome CBW! Please pull the PCM codes and let us know if there are any stored trouble codes. That might help point in the direction of the problem(s).

-Jake

basscatt
04-18-14, 12:13 AM
there IS one thing that you need to replace IMMEDIATELY -

the MECHANIC -