: SJ - API oil

eldoedwardo
04-17-14, 02:23 PM
Hello Everyone,
No OIL WAR, please stand down! Ok with that over, I have changed brands (still good quality)
of oil. Only because of the SJ requirement for '99 N*. Most of other oil say's they meet SN and
previous requirements. How can it meet previous requirements when zinc is being phased out
or lowered? My N* uses a little oil and I clean the rings occasionally by the down hill low range
slow down.
I don't have a problem with the different brand (I prefer another) but I don't want to put
anything in without assurance it is suitable for a flat tappet N*
I have read Joe Gibbs, Knieze report, and various threads here but still feel a bit leary about
the 'meets previous requirements' claim.
P.S. Oh yah, no problems with the before and aft o2's so I would say the cat isn't damaged.
Changed b2s1 running great..22 mpg at avg. speed of 38mph! Cool by me. closing in on a left
strut? squeak...?
If it's runnin' good,
shut the hood,
and cruse....later Ed:rockon:

Ranger
04-17-14, 04:30 PM
Most of other oil say's they meet SN and
previous requirements. How can it meet previous requirements when zinc is being phased out
or lowered?
:noidea: BTSOM!

Submariner409
04-18-14, 12:35 PM
Here's a fairly new API table. You might find one with the current SN in a Google search.

http://www.api.org/certification-programs/engine-oil-diesel-exhaust-fluid/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/MOM_GUIDE_ENGLISH_2013.pdf

JoeTahoe
04-19-14, 09:07 AM
i would use a diesel oil as they still use zinc. I personally use Rottella 10w30 witch is very easy to find in my area

Submariner409
04-19-14, 10:55 AM
There is an old, persistent, totally false wive's tale that says not to use diesel specification oils in automotive gasoline engines. For info straight from the horse's mouth (The American Petroleum Institute), read this .....

http://www.api.org/certification-programs/engine-oil-diesel-exhaust-fluid/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/MOM_GUIDE_ENGLISH_2013.pdf

maeng9981
04-20-14, 03:23 AM
I use the Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 10W30 for the Deville.

eldoedwardo
04-21-14, 05:19 PM
thanks Everyone,
Sub, that chart on your attachment indicated sj and sl had the same numbers : .110 zinc/.100
phosphorous. Some of the sites indicated that the diesel oil (I used 10-30 I think T5 for quite awhile) has more
contaminates that an sj engine( pre 2000) should be asked and handle. The new chart as I mentioned showing no
difference in zinc/phos in the sl oil may open my choice up a little.
To all the N* owners that responded thank you very much for your time and effort also.
I think the N* must have grown stronger in its ability to control its oil immunities for newer api/certs
ED