: inside radiator leak/transmission leak?

starfox86
08-24-05, 10:35 PM
i have a 94 seville. the trans fluid has gone to bare almost twice now??..theres no leaks anywere!...and my engine doesnt seem to be cooling off too well 203-230, and the coolant is reddish!!. soo, where the trans fluid is hooked up to the radiator, could there be a leak there, leaking into the coolant, and burning the trans fluid? I hope thats all it is , then i will get a new radiator. so , is this a possible leak???????????:bomb: ..if anyone could let me know this asap, that would be great so i can pull the radiator tonight!!

Ranger
08-24-05, 10:55 PM
Yes, it is possible as the trans cooler line is coiled inside the side tank where it is surrounded by coolant. That is where the heat transfer takes place. Something else to consider though, when the engine is running the cooling system is under 15 or 16 lbs. of pressure and the trans line is much higher so trans fluid will leak into the coolant if there is a breech. When the engine is shut down however, the trans fluid line drops to zero and the cooling system retains pressure til it cools down, thus providing greater pressure than the trans line and allowing coolant to enter the trans. If you suspect this to be the case and it proves true, then your engine and trans have been "swapping spit" so to speak and I would immediately drain the trans and start the engine while the trans line is disconnected to pump out as much fluid as possible. Put a hose over the line and run it into a bucket. Then refill it and run it. It might not be a bad idea to then drain the pan once more in a day or so. Coolant in the tranny is probably worse than trans fluid in the cooling system.