: Looking for advice

BoulderDaddy
08-24-05, 07:39 PM
Hello,
I am new to the group, and am in the process of hunting down the right SRX for my family. Awesome machines!
We are looking to replace our 02 Honda Odyssey, which has been great, but is 2-wheel drive and could not get out of our steep driveway during snowy days last winter.
Glad there is a group as informative as this. I have gotten great information from the "Odyclub.com" group for Odyssey owners.
Anyway, just wondering if there are some pluses and minuses to be aware of as we head towards a purchase. With 4 kids, we definitely will make significant use of all three rows.
From a family perspective, how has the SRX performed, in terms of actual performance, comfort, winter driving, etc.?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
:cool2:

02BlackSRX
08-24-05, 08:11 PM
honestly just get an escalde

thanks,
preston
gruppe-s

pagpc
08-24-05, 08:17 PM
i love the car, but the third seat is for under 10 only.

pagpc

02BlackSRX
08-24-05, 08:21 PM
i love the car, but the third seat is for under 10 only.

pagpc
yea tahts why u should get an escalade

then check out www.bigwheels.net for some bigwheels for it

EricDaXLR81
08-24-05, 08:34 PM
honestly just get an escalde

thanks,
preston
gruppe-sF'ing preston

Always starting ish.

stlgasman
08-24-05, 10:57 PM
We purchased the SRX to have more of a luxury car than a van or a truck. You will be giving up space compared the van. The third seat has been used successfully by my 14 yo daughter and her friends for short trips. For long trips, it is only good for small children. The Ultraview is what makes the car. We have Navi (I like the wood trim). If I didn't have the Navi, I would add some wood trim. Drive and handling is great. Don't have magnetic ride, so can't comment.

louisn
08-24-05, 10:58 PM
IT's great. Gas mileage is not its forte though. I would buy the NorthstAr V-8 as it's smooth and powerful and makes the SRX a rocket. The main complaints have been the bad access to the front seat caused by the wide sills and a reprogram of the V-8 engine that causes a loss of power. Don't have the 3rd row seat. Looks small though. The 2006 have power liftgates. You can get some great deals on them if you're shrewd. DO A SEARCH FOR PRICES. yOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET ONE 1000'S UNDER INVOICE. Also there have been some low mileage used certified ones going real cheap! Good luck!

inline6
08-25-05, 03:45 PM
You did not mention the age of your children but as mentioned earlier, the third seat has limited leg room and third seat up leaves very little luggage space. Since you are already looking for an SRX, hopefully you have already worked through this.

We have a V6 awd and it is fantastic in snow and ice. Gas mileage has been around 17-18 on regular in town and about 22 running in the 70s on the freeway. If you are happy with your Honda's performance, the V6 will be fine for you and considerably less expensive than a V8. The SRX will out ride and drive an Odyssey, MDX or Escalade.

We replaced a Windstar with the SRX . When we first started looking we started at an Odyssey, then went to a MDX and finally purchased the SRX. My wife would not consider a Denali or Escalade due to their size. If the seating works for you, the SRX is an excellent choice.

b4z
08-25-05, 04:14 PM
As of last Friday only 83 '06 SRXs had been produced.

Here are my observations after 17 months of ownership and 22,000 miles.
I have the RWD base V6.

One of the better riding SUV/crossovers.
Much better than the Volkswagon and BMW X5 and waaaay better riding than the
X3.
Gas mileage is about 23mpg at 65-70mph and about 20-21mpg at 80 mph.
AWD will be worse.
Quiet riding.
Good power.
nice nice transmission.
Best in class rear legroom.
Solid body, but occcassionally trim parts squeak.

If you can get a deal on it buy it.
At MSRP they are pirced too high.

The reduced sills on the '06 are a big plus. I am 6'8" and there is no way to gracefully enter or exit this vehicle.
High doors and rear hatch make visibility not so great.
Rear radar is a godsend.

If Caddy can get a little more power out of the V6 i will definitely buy again.

BoulderDaddy
08-25-05, 06:17 PM
Thank you to all who replied to my request. It helps immensely.
Like Inline6, my wife wouldn't want the Escalade (or a Denali, Tahoe, Suburban, etc.), as she is convinced they are too bulky. It will be hers to drive.
That said, I'm the one steering us to the SRX - I love them, while she is still lukewarm about the SRX and thinking she's more of a Subaru (Tribeca) or Honda type. But, hey, we drove an 05 AWD V8 SRX that was loaded (DVD, Nav among others), and I was totally in love with it!
Thanks for bringing up the issue with kids - I do have an oversized 12 year old, with 3 others ranging in age from 10 down to 4. I think the 3rd row will work for quite a while, although, as mentioned in this string, the space behind the 3rd row is tiny. Of course, so is the same space on the MDX and Tribeca, and they don't have the amazing technology built-ins like Caddy!
Thanks again.

miked
08-25-05, 07:48 PM
We've been very happy with our SRX -- V8 05 loaded (nav, DVD, etc.). The 3rd row is a tight fit, but we've driven average size adults in the back for short distances. One thing I have been impressed is that nobody complained about getting seasick in the third row, which is a common issue with other vehicles. I chalk that up to magnetic ride control.

I think b4z really summed it up quite well in a nutshell.

keeton
08-25-05, 08:13 PM
A couple of things: You may want to look at a V-6. While the V-8 may be a rocket, the V-6 is still pretty swift (only 1 sec difference 0-60, per the mags), will get better mileage (important with $3 gas) and will see less of a performance difference with regular vs. premium. Either engine will outrun your Odyssey.

The other is the UltraView. No other sunroof is like it. It is especially entertaining for the rear seat passengers. It makes the SRX special.

Good luck with your decision.

Playdrv4me
08-25-05, 10:52 PM
It comes down to whats more important to you. If you want real character and more gee-whiz gadgetry, then go with the SRX. If you want something a little more refined and possibly of a bit better build quality and reliability, then go with the MDX. The MDX however has absolutely no character and doesnt have as many of the toys the SRX packs in. The V6 provides more of a value equation than does the V8.

inline6
08-26-05, 04:12 PM
We did not find the MDX to be more refined than the SRX, in fact we found the opposite. The MDX was much more SUV like than the SRX. The only placed the MDX shined was price and third row seat space.

We have not had any reliability issues, but have had nuisance issues due to the number of first year recalls and the stupid cd initializing problem.

For what it is worth, I came to a major realization about the SRX last weekend. We went to Monterey for the big car weekend and I have never seen so many SRXs in one area. It sure looked like for the mid to large size SUVs, excluding Suburbans and Excursions, that the SRX was the choice of people who are really into their cars. There were a lot of Lexus and MBs also, but not to the extent of our Cadillacs.

Smokin' SRX
08-28-05, 03:05 PM
Thank you to all who replied to my request. It helps immensely.
Like Inline6, my wife wouldn't want the Escalade (or a Denali, Tahoe, Suburban, etc.), as she is convinced they are too bulky. It will be hers to drive.
That said, I'm the one steering us to the SRX - I love them, while she is still lukewarm about the SRX and thinking she's more of a Subaru (Tribeca) or Honda type. But, hey, we drove an 05 AWD V8 SRX that was loaded (DVD, Nav among others), and I was totally in love with it!
Thanks for bringing up the issue with kids - I do have an oversized 12 year old, with 3 others ranging in age from 10 down to 4. I think the 3rd row will work for quite a while, although, as mentioned in this string, the space behind the 3rd row is tiny. Of course, so is the same space on the MDX and Tribeca, and they don't have the amazing technology built-ins like Caddy!
Thanks again.

Hi! Buy the SRX!! Period! the v-6 is great but I wanted a rocket so.......... Back seat is definately not for adults! Very few complaints of any consequence at 13,000 miles and too many admiring stares to count! If you love Vanilla , for everything, ............... look elsewhere! (or compromise with a sweet GMC Envoy !) If you like Forbidden Choclate, here's your car! Personally, I would die of bordom with an MDX/Highlander! And who wants a car/Suv where the rear exhaust pipes go UNDER the rear axle, to the rear exit???? Check one in the parking lot! DUH! Nice protective "Skid Plates" guys!
New '06 models have many advancements...Power remote tailgate, better looking wheels, narrrower door sills (even though my '04 is just fine!), etc. Deals on the V-8 are getting better as gas goes up! We drive only 5,000 miles a year! We love the V-8!!! Go for it!!