Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Stereo quality

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Ninja-v 
#1 ·
I have read in a past thread that our escalades have factory subwoofers? Is this true?

I got to thinking about it in general, and the sound system just does not sound all that great. The escalade is my wife's rig. I drive a Dodge Ram, and my stock Infinity stereo system sounds much better.

Are there some things i should check for functionality? Sounds like the deeper notes are missing. I did check the sound settings already.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Start by turning all the mids and highs dwn all the way.... turn the bass all the way up. Put on on some CRAP.... thats whatvyiu get when u mix country and rap.... but the have some of t deepest bass tones.... turn it up about 70%... you should be able to clearly hear the sub working up by the center counsel area towards the motor... if you dont and cant tell if there is bass somethings wrong... cause it actually should sound pretty good for a stock system... adjust the volume to your max level with the bass turned up all the way... if you here any distortion turn it dwn..the bass... then add the mids and highs to it.... bass destroys more stock subs and speakers than highs. Try that and repost... stock is settings are flat lined threw the middle.

#6 ·
I like Bose, and even thought the Bose in my Eldorado sounded decent but IMO the Bose in my the Escalade sucked no matter how you adjusted it. I ended up leaving the OE HU installed to retain my original controls and addied a digital signal processor, 700X5 amp, new door speakers and a 12" sub. I am quite pleased.

#10 ·
Spyshops, I'm assuming you were referring to my post. Here is an itemized list of what I used.

Amp- JL Audio XD700/5 (75w X 4 +300w for sub) *mounted under the left rear 2nd row seat
Dig Sig Processor- Audio Control LCQ1 (grey), (6 channel equalizer output) *mounted beneath the amp under the seat removable panel to the floor
Front door speakers- Hertz Audio Energy Series ESK165 (6.5" convertible 3 way spkrs) *speakers are in the door and the (convertible) tweeters are behind the Bose tweeter covers in the windshield pillars.
Rear door speakers- Hertz Audio Energy Series ECX165 (6.5" coaxial speakers)
Sub Woofer- JL Audio EBX300 (12" 4 ohm)
Sub enclosure- JL Audio single 12" sealed enclosure *this takes up very little space
JL Audio HDRLC (Remote level control) *mounted beneath the dash on the right hand side. With this you can adjust the bass up or down quickly & effortlessly without having to go to the HU audio configuration screen. This is very convenient because some songs you need to quickly add or remove a strong bass.

I went with the Hertz Audio Italian speakers by recommendation of the store manager who happens to be a long time friend and has installed 4 systems for me over the years. He knows I don't have big bucks but also knows I don't want to waste my hard earned money. We compared the Hertz to the JL line up and I thought the Hertz had more clarity. We originally installed the Hertz 10' sub but it lacked a good crisp tight bass I desired and could have been due to the size of the interior so I we popped a JL Audio 12" sub in and that gave me the bass I was wanting. My previous SUV was a Yukon that he installed two 12"' subs and that may have been why I felt the single 10" lacked somewhat. I didn't want to be heard three blocks away I just wanted a clean tight bass. Now with all that said; an audiophile would likely call this a POS set up but it serves my purpose and I just can't justify dropping $5k+ on a system.

#13 ·
Agreed, I wanted to retain the factory look and didn't want to trim the bezel nor replace the HU as it fits per design and does its job just fine.

Any way we could get the details on how your audio tech wired everything up with the DSP and the Bose amp? How do the chimes sound and are they being played thru the Bose amp? Thank you!
I believe the Bose amp is still active as well as the original sub, and he tapped into the Bose amp to trigger the additional amp. I'll try to call next week and find out the details. As far as the steering wheel controls, the chimes, bluetooth and etc. everything works as it did prior to the install.

#18 ·
Guys, I've removed the factory bose sub box,took the downfire sub out, caulked a 1/4" board over the hole, then cut a hole in the top of the box to mount an 8" alpine type r. Then I used a line out converter to run rca'S to my power acoustic razor 1500 class d amp and reinstalled the modified sub box. This thing pounds now! Totally stock looking. Back fold down wall works stock too. All for under 200 bucks. Want me to do a write up on it? Sounds much bigger than an 8" sub. The amp goes behind the back seat on the floor in a small area right next to the back wall on the passenger side. Can't see it unless you fold the seats forward. Sounds incredible.

#19 ·
Ninja-v said:
Guys, I've removed the factory bose sub box,took the downfire sub out, caulked a 1/4" board over the hole, then cut a hole in the top of the box to mount an 8" alpine type r. Then I used a line out converter to run rca'S to my power acoustic razor 1500 class d amp and reinstalled the modified sub box. This thing pounds now! Totally stock looking. Back fold down wall works stock too. All for under 200 bucks. Want me to do a write up on it? Sounds much bigger than an 8" sub. The amp goes behind the back seat on the floor in a small area right next to the back wall on the passenger side. Can't see it unless you fold the seats forward. Sounds incredible.
any pics of the box after the modification

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.