: New person here - piston replacement question

jalfred
11-20-03, 01:08 PM
We have a 2002 Cad. Sedan Deville, and just had the pistons changed out. Can SKS tell me how they got into trouble and how we could prevent this from happening again?? We had a clicking noise under the hood and took the car to the agc. and their action was to change all the pistons. We seek information and preventative measures, if there are any.

Vesicant
11-24-03, 06:39 PM
Has the clicking gone away or does it remain?

(If the clickings still there) They shouldnt have just changed the pistons. That clicking would be a bad valve seat, bad valve spring etc., not just the pistons. They may have have changed the pistons, but did not change the main problem. BECAUSE just changing the pistons would do nothing except damage the new ones put in. Not only do you change the pistons; but you change the valves, springs and possibly even cam if its that bad. If all they did was change the pistons then you must take it back, even if the clicking stopped; as of now its probably damaging the new ones put in. There is one more possibillity, if the clicking was not comming from the valves, cam or springs; then it can be the piston ring seals that act to keep the oil from seeping into the combustion. Sometimes those can become loose and click; you can change just the springs without changing the pistons. Otherwise, if it was terribly bad they would have had to bore out the block and put bigger pistons in. I doubt that this was done.

jalfred
11-24-03, 07:47 PM
[FONT=Arial
Thanks for your response. My husband says this was all done by the repair folks. I still would like to know how to prevent it from happening again.
Jackie :)