: My Cousin's in the Market

DopeStar 156
08-24-05, 03:47 AM
He's turning 17 in a few weeks and is in the market for a car. So far he has his heart set on two cars, a late 80's early 90's Volvo 240 and a 4.5 Cadillac Allante. I told him to hold off on the Allante for when he has more money and driving experience for such a powerhouse of a car and to go for the Volvo. Any suggestions? He's got like $6,000 to spend.

illumina
08-24-05, 03:53 AM
He's turning 17 in a few weeks and is in the market for a car. So far he has his heart set on two cars, a late 80's early 90's Volvo 240 and a 4.5 Cadillac Allante. I told him to hold off on the Allante for when he has more money and driving experience for such a powerhouse of a car and to go for the Volvo. Any suggestions? He's got like $6,000 to spend.

A 1984 Chevrolet Chevette is a fine choice for a first car. It is highly reliable and when people ask your cousin about what kind of car he has, he can say "I have a 'Vette."

He can then take the other $5,975 and blow it on hookers and booze.

:D

Ralph
08-24-05, 03:54 AM
I say get the Allante if he can take proper care of it. I think the values will rise for these cars very soon if they haven't been already....

DopeStar 156
08-24-05, 03:57 AM
I would love for him to get the Allante. However my uncle is really riding his ass to get a Honda. He by no circumstances wants a Honda. He told me he wants something old and boxy that's why he likes the ALlante and the Volvo. I think he should get the Allante when he's like 18 that way his dad can't really stop him from doing it. My cousin is really attracted to late 80's early 90's era cars.

Jesda
08-24-05, 04:44 AM
I dont know him, but I'd hate to see someone abuse an Allante. A Volvo 240 is so durable its insane.

Also note that I'm jealous. When I was 17 I was driving a 1988 Nissan Sentra that was rear-ended multiple times.

DeVillish
08-24-05, 04:51 AM
I dont know if he could even get a 4.5 Allante for 6k, and dont let him forget that in that 6k he has to have money for tax tag and insureance. I wanted an Allante too(and i still do) but its just not a smart car for a 17 year old, maybe a 4.5 coupe deville if he really wants a 2 door boxy 90s car. That and it being a 2 seater, no room for friends....well that can be good and bad.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 06:32 AM
What about an Audi Quattro

http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2001/n09/news/800/max/Audi-Quattro.jpg

I drove one of these in the winter for years here in the UK it never broke, and it was a great car, but i dont know if you got them in the States....

Or what about a 740/760 series Volvo? They were much improved over the 240s, i also had one of those and it is still running....... i sold it when it was a year old in 1989.....

http://www.rutteger.demon.co.uk/car/volvo/7401.jpg
Theyre also very cheap, he could get two for $6k

OR another Audi

http://dimg.163.com/auto/2004/02/27/BILD72.JPG

My sister drove around in one of those from about 1987 until 2002 and used it as a beater car after about 4 years...... it ran forever, and i think its quite a credible car......

davesdeville
08-24-05, 07:10 AM
A 1984 Chevrolet Chevette is a fine choice for a first car. It is highly reliable and when people ask your cousin about what kind of car he has, he can say "I have a 'Vette."

He can then take the other $5,975 and blow it on hookers and booze.

:D

I knew I should've spent a couple hundred on a beater instead of getting my ETC :p

RBraczyk
08-24-05, 07:28 AM
Gotta be careful with Audi's, expensive, fragile parts and electrical problems.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 07:30 AM

I suppose when they get to that age they would have. Volvos dont break. How much would a Volvo 850 cost over there?

RBraczyk
08-24-05, 08:07 AM
My dad went through 2 computers, two dozen electrical components, always had little electrical gremlins, and 3 $900 windshields on his 1990 100 Quattro.

He finally got rid of it in 1998 with 225,000 on the clock.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 08:59 AM
My dad went through 2 computers, two dozen electrical components, always had little electrical gremlins, and 3 $900 windshields on his 1990 100 Quattro.

He finally got rid of it in 1998 with 225,000 on the clock.

Wow, yet my sister had one with no trouble, and she really beat that car after a few years.

My Quattro started to corrode. The underbody was ruined and it had after years of winter driving it was in a mess, it never stopped though

Jesda
08-24-05, 09:43 AM

True. Some are quite good while others are nightmares. Its 50/50.

DopeStar 156
08-24-05, 09:51 AM
I'm with RB on this, I'm not a big supporter of Audi or VW for that matter. The Volvo seems like a formidable choice. Haha and yeah he wanted the two seater to keep his freeloading friends out of his wheels.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 10:15 AM
I'm with RB on this, I'm not a big supporter of Audi or VW for that matter. The Volvo seems like a formidable choice. Haha and yeah he wanted the two seater to keep his freeloading friends out of his wheels.

Tell him to buy an estate version, paint it black and take out hte back seat :thumbsup:

What about a saab 900 Turbo?

http://www.carsearch.com/photos/758601.jpeg

They were great...

SilverCTS
08-24-05, 10:36 AM
I suppose when they get to that age they would have. Volvos dont break. How much would a Volvo 850 cost over there?

We had a Volva 850 wagon and had a lot of problems. Real crazy type problems.

for some reason, if you turned the heat or AC all the way up, the unit would just shut off
the right passenger speaker stopped working
the CD player stopped working
we had to replace the transmission once (under warranty)
we had to replace the engine once (also under warranty)
the brakes never felt right to me and were replaced countless times
instruments (buttons) looked solid, but a couple of them broke
weather stripping started to peal off by the driver side window
lots of other minor problems
We bought the car new. It was the most unreliable new car I ever experienced. My Chevy Blazer came close, but the Volvo takes top honors.

For $6000, I would recommend an American or Japanese car. Stay away from the European cars.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 10:40 AM
We had a Volva 850 wagon and had a lot of problems. Real crazy type problems.

for some reason, if you turned the heat or AC all the way up, the unit would just shut off
the right passenger speaker stopped working
the CD player stopped working
we had to replace the transmission once (under warranty)
we had to replace the engine once (also under warranty)
the brakes never felt right to me and were replaced countless times
instruments (buttons) looked solid, but a couple of them broke
weather stripping started to peal off by the driver side window
lots of other minor problems
We bought the car new. It was the most unreliable new car I ever experienced. My Chevy Blazer came close, but the Volvo takes top honors.

For $6000, I would recommend an American or Japanese car. Stay away from the European cars.

What year was your 850?

My 88 740 never had one problem at all. It was a real nice car and had plenty of towing capacity in it, i had the saloon version though

D148L0
08-24-05, 10:44 AM
I thought you were selling a female cousin. Never mind, then.

SilverCTS
08-24-05, 10:52 AM
What year was your 850?

My 88 740 never had one problem at all. It was a real nice car and had plenty of towing capacity in it, i had the saloon version though

I am trying to remember as I type this. My lovely daughter was born in '94.

We traded in our Suburu Outback station wagon for the Volvo shortly after she was born--so I am pretty confident that it was a 1995 model.

I loved the Outback, but my wife wanted a Volvo...

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 11:04 AM
I am trying to remember as I type this. My lovely daughter was born in '94.

We traded in our Suburu Outback station wagon for the Volvo shortly after she was born--so I am pretty confident that it was a 1995 model.

I loved the Outback, but my wife wanted a Volvo...

Isnt it the way :nono:

My wife made me sell my beloved Rover 75 Tourer in oxygen blue for a Volvo XC70 :crying2:

I like Volvos..... but i b=never owned one during the early-mid 90s when they were undergoing the change

I had a C70 in 1999 and a V70 in 1998

SilverCTS
08-24-05, 11:34 AM
Isnt it the way :nono:

My wife made me sell my beloved Rover 75 Tourer in oxygen blue for a Volvo XC70 :crying2:

I like Volvos..... but i b=never owned one during the early-mid 90s when they were undergoing the change

I had a C70 in 1999 and a V70 in 1998

After we had our first baby, safety became a big thing for my wife. She wanted a Volvo because of their excellent safety reputation.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 11:38 AM
After we had our first baby, safety became a big thing for my wife. She wanted a Volvo because of their excellent safety reputation.

yup, in 88 my oldest son was 8, Claire was expecting my younger son and my daughter was born a year later.

Although theyre all a reasonable age now, i would of liked to keep my Rover. But my wife likes Volvos. The C70 was great

mccombie_6
08-24-05, 03:17 PM
What about an early 90s Eldo?

My dad just got me one :) it rocks
Failing that a Volvo 740

Ralph
08-24-05, 09:33 PM
What about an early 90s Eldo?

My dad just got me one :) it rocks

pics???

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 09:36 PM
pics???

I'll field this one, my camera will not upload any pictures, i think theres somethign wrong with the software. I took the camera witht he pcitures on from scotland into work and uploaded them there and emailed them to myself.

I'll try and get pictures up soon