: Northstar question!

FrankyCorleone
08-24-05, 02:34 AM
I recently purchased a Fleetwood Limited, a 98. I love this car. It's used, had one owner, has 38,000 miles.

If anyone has more information on Fleetwood Limiteds, let me know. All I have is the brochure and information regarding it. I'd still like to know more.

Anyway, now to my question...

I started hearing a small sound, almost like a belt squeeling, going off and on. The sound started getting worse, almost like a bearing.(I immediatly thought alternator.) When I first start the vehicle, now, the sound doesn't exist. The longer I drive it, the worse it gets. I was sitting parked in a alley, idling, the sound got almost unbearable to the point where it was something we had to talk over. Speak louder than normal. The sound almost sounds like a tension or alternator. The sound changes though, that's what I don't understnad. It also doesn't start, or do it all the time.

If anyone had any similar problems, let me know.

VinnyT
08-24-05, 07:34 AM
It does sound like an alternator or tensioner bearing, or A/C compressor. Those bearings can go too. Is it a grinding or a squealing?

FrankyCorleone
08-24-05, 12:27 PM
More of a grinding/whining.

eldorado1
08-24-05, 02:35 PM
I had a horrible squeeking coming from the tensioner... I replaced it, and now it's 90% better. For some reason, I still get random squeeks. I haven't isolated that cause, but it may be the alternator bearing, since everything else is brand new.

There's only so many things that can squeak or grind, so you can try to isolate it with a piece of hose held up to your ear, with the other end (carefully) placed near the various pullies.

Ranger
08-24-05, 03:40 PM
Also don't forget the water pump drive belt tensioner on the rear (drivers sdie) of the engine.

FrankyCorleone
08-24-05, 05:44 PM
Definately not water pump. coming from front of motor.

Mark Bunds
08-24-05, 08:15 PM
Definately not water pump. coming from front of motor.

Check the electric cooling fans. I had one that was making a terrible noise until I replaced it.

coffeebreak1
08-26-05, 07:22 PM
check ac pully i had same problem (i had to replace ac compressor).

Rick94STS
08-29-05, 10:17 AM
I had same problem, turned out to be the pully bolted directly to the block right next to the tensioner pully.

good luck...

mcowden
08-29-05, 11:25 AM
I had same problem, turned out to be the pully bolted directly to the block right next to the tensioner pully.

good luck...

That would be the idler pulley. The bearings in the tensioner and idler don't last forever. I've replaced both on my '96. Same for the A/C compressor.