: 97 ETC exhaust manifold fasterners.

Porkie
04-14-14, 08:19 PM
There 8 studs and 8 screws that hold the manifolds to the heads. None of us can remember where the studs go. Or the screws either;
sure don't want to put any of them in the wrong places.

Regards, Porkie

Porkie
04-15-14, 08:24 AM
Ok; let's try this: there are three studs of the eight studs I have remaining in the BACK head. i.e. studs which didn't get removed when we took the engine apart.

Absent some reason to not RE-assemble the manifold on the BACK head with all studs and then using the
8 remaining screws to install the manifold on the FRONT head, AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Regards, Porkie

Submariner409
04-15-14, 08:31 AM
Porkie, I don't currently have access to a pre-2000 Northstar service manual. Sorry.

Try a multi-year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com - the GM service manuals plus a LOT more.

Porkie
04-15-14, 09:13 AM
Dear Submariner: My guess is that the reason for studs and /or screws prolly applies to all Norhtstars in FWD. Most likely something to facilitate removal of the manifold in the car. Anyway if you could check what you have for studs in exhaust manifolds, it would help.

We have installed Cadillac Performance studs and new gaskets and are reassembling the outer components to put the engine back in through the top. Thing is, it's the first Northstar we 've ever tackled.

Regards, Porkie

rodnok01
04-15-14, 09:24 AM
Well I checked my 98 and I did not see any studs in the front, they were all bolts. I could not see the center bolt(s) however due to engine mount. I looked at FSM and don't see any studs either.
Try looking through Bill's pictures, I did find one stud...
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/billbuttermore/library/Northstar?sort=3&page=1
Here is pic of stud
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/billbuttermore/media/Northstar/IM000041a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=93

Submariner409
04-15-14, 11:21 AM
This diagram is out of the 2002 manual - and the text says "remove the exhaust manifold retainer bolts" - no reference to studs for the left bank.

rodnok01
04-15-14, 11:30 AM
The FSM less than helpful when I looked also, in the one pic you can see two studs on Bill's pic site.

Porkie
04-15-14, 03:57 PM
As it turns I just whipped into the Cadillac dealer that takes care of it and the parts department quickly produced the appropriate sheets and printed them for me. The studs do indeed go into the back head; the screws, the front. It's related to that U shaped exhaust tube that is fastened to that manifold. The tube circles around under the engine and has too little clearance and is too stiff to allow the manifold to pull away enough to jump over studs. Thus the screws on that side.

Many thanks for the help.

I'll let the group know how the thing comes out; hopefully before the week is out.

Regards, Porkie

97EldoCoupe
04-15-14, 05:42 PM
All 8 bolts in the front (left bank), 8 studs w/nuts in the rear (right bank). Those nuts are Toplock nuts and should normally not come off (although sometimes they do) with the stud upon removal.

Porkie
04-20-14, 11:41 AM
We finally brought the engine up last night about 8 PM. Drove it around the block without the hood, completely eventfully. Smooth and powerful. Like it was when it was new. Since it's Easter we'll tidy it up around to edges this coming week and seriously run it out afterwards. So far, it looks good.

Regards, Porkie

Porkie
04-20-14, 07:34 PM
There is a vacuum line in the engine compartment, passenger side behind the shock tower. We haven't been able (so far) to find a billet for that line. The length of it allows it to reach about half way across. Nothing in the ignition module seems to need vacuum.

Regards, Porkie

rodnok01
04-20-14, 07:42 PM
Should be similiar. They both goto hard plastic lines on engine.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/87869d1331233451-rodnoks-98-deville-vac-hose.jpg

Harry Yarnell
04-21-14, 08:22 AM
There's a nipple on the intake manifold next to the backfire door/valve (pass. side) that that vacuum line attaches to.

Porkie
04-22-14, 06:31 AM
Dear Harry: Exactly right! We finally found that derned thing after searching diligently with mirrors etc...... Hopefully we're about done. There has certainly been a lot of learning curve in this project.

Regards, Porkie