: Seeking participation for a Cadillac Newsletter

BeelzeBob
02-26-03, 07:44 AM
I'm considering starting a newsletter for all our members. It would be a monthly html/text email. I'd like to find out how many people would like to participate? Any news we use in our newsletter that comes from a member would be noted with the person's name and/or a link to their web site.

News would be submit through a new "Cadillac News" section in the forums. The purpose would be to give people something to read without coming to the forums - AND - to serve as a reminder that we're here - for people who've forgotten about us!

Thank you...

Katshot
02-26-03, 08:05 AM
Seems redundant to me. If you're a member here, you already have access to the info.

BeelzeBob
02-26-03, 09:09 AM
"AND - to serve as a reminder that we're here - for people who've forgotten about us!"

The problem with most forums is that only a small percentage of people actually post actively. A newsletter like this reminds them that we're here and actually causes them to log and and become active again. Atleast for awhile...

It also reminds people who accidentally type in the wrong domain name and wind up at another site that - well - they're at the wrong site...

'Know what I mean?

Devil_concours
02-26-03, 12:22 PM
that would be great.
we can have latest rumors, gm news, competitior's news, car shows, and section dedicated for recent threads and hot threads.

BeelzeBob
02-26-03, 12:59 PM
Exactly.. Something that people can take a look at and get the WHOLE inside scoop without having to browse through the forums...

Allante North *
02-26-03, 01:52 PM
Sounds good Sal. Let us know how we can help.

AKPsiMC03
02-26-03, 03:23 PM
what kind of help do you need?

BeelzeBob
02-26-03, 05:28 PM
News and rumors about anything regarding Cadillac. Recalls.. Maybe a 'this month in history' area.. Pictures of model updates.. Let me know what you'd like to see in a newsletter that would wrap up everything that's going on in Cadillac World.. Maybe links to a few of our most important topics...

Devil_concours
02-26-03, 11:38 PM
1. Cadillac Model news (new, old, and future)
2. Safety related news
3. Forum news(recent threads, hot threads, recent changes)
4. Featured car and its owner(cadillac of the week/month)
5. Aftermarket parts and vendor

Badass94Cad
02-27-03, 08:01 AM
Sal,
I would be happy to help with that. We could also have a section for upcoming events. I could coordinate that - I could be the point person for everyone to send events to, and then organize them for the newsletter by region, etc.

LMK what you think...

Cheers,
Jeff

BeelzeBob
02-27-03, 04:43 PM
Every time someone replies here, it sounds better and better. I love all the ideas..

Should this be a new forum? Or a SUB forum inside another forum? It sounds like we're about ready to start initially putting this thing together so I'd like a place to get everything going.

I'm going to create this like a magazine as best I can. Ya know - with a Volume 1 Number 1 soughta thing.. I'm going to put time into this and do it right. It's going to be a Cadillac Magazine online..

So where do we begin? Where does the forum OR subforum go?

Brett
02-27-03, 05:16 PM
any thing you need just holler

Badass94Cad
02-28-03, 08:02 AM
Wait, so is it going to be an e-mail or online thing? Are you just going to make it a read-only thing as part of this forum? I'm confused now...:confused: Whatever you need, or if you just want to iron out some ideas, let me know Sal. I went to school for journalism and public relations and I work in the communications industry, so you combine that with my love for anything automotive related and you've got a home run!:D

Cheers,
Jeff

BeelzeBob
02-28-03, 11:52 AM
Awesome. We're playing with POWER! Aren't we! :D

Okay. I'm going to see if I can send out HTML emails with my email program. If not, I'll send each signed up email recipient a LINK to a page I create on the site. It wont be a forum page. It'll be 'out there'.. :D

Badass94Cad
02-28-03, 01:25 PM
Cool...LMK what you're thinking and I'm happy to help.

Cheers,
Jeff

AirJigga25
03-26-03, 11:12 AM
If you want, I'll be a writer for the newsletter on various cadillac related topics. I think its a good idea

Jinx
03-31-03, 11:32 AM
1. Why does it need to be HTML mail? What's wrong with plain text? Everything we post here is plain text... provide an URL to a pics page if you need it, otherwise, keep it plain text. In my experience HTML mail comes from (1) people trying to sell me something; (2) people trying to give me a virus; or (3) people who don't have anything to say.

2. If I cared about hot threads on the forum, I'd come to the forum. Keep it focused on Cadillac information, not whatever forum gossip is going around.

If it's a magazine you want to make, just publish a website and send "subscribers" a one-liner telling them when you update it. I submit that delaying information to dress it up defeats the purpose of delivering it to them as opposed to letting them come get it on their own schedule, so I say keep it raw.

Of course, any read-only mailing list delivery is the antithesis of an online forum -- it discourages visitors from checking into the forum to see what's new. So the real reason to make a mailing list should be to build the brand by reaching out to those who DON'T like surfing forums. And with "forums" in the brand name, that's a weird objective to have.

Keep in mind that most of the people who register but don't visit a forum will probably not sign up for a newsletter either, and they'd be angry if you sent them one unsolicited.

Anyway, those are my contrarian thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you do make a plain-text Cadillac information newsletter delivered via email I'll check it out.

.Jinx

elwesso
03-31-03, 05:21 PM
I am kind of wishy washy on this one. In some respects its good, and some it seems kind of pointless. I agree with Jinx in that you should sign up, or have something at the end of the first one giving instructions to unsubscribe. People that dont post very ofter wont care, and regulars will already know the scoop. There will be the few that will find it beneficial.