: Am I the only one who hates reality TV?

Rolex
08-22-05, 09:12 PM
It's a rare thing to catch me watching basic cable because of all the reality TV garbage. IMO there's only one reality TV program worth watching....Ultimate Fighter on Spike. I have the Tivo set to record the premire of the second season, that starts tonight.

It's like crappy reality TV, except at the end of every episode they get into a ring and fight bare knuckles. :thumbsup: My kind of show! I was addicted to this show last season, You guys should check it out (if you a fight fan).

mccombie_5
08-22-05, 09:13 PM
It's a rare thing to catch me watching basic cable because of all the reality TV garbage. IMO there's only one reality TV program worth watching....Ultimate Fighter on Spike. I have the Tivo set to record the premire of the second season, that starts tonight.

It's like crappy reality TV, except at the end of every episode they get into a ring and fight bare knuckles. :thumbsup: My kind of show! I was addicted to this show last season, You guys should check it out (if you a fight fan).

You know, my family bugged me for a home cinema system, i never watch the damn thing, apart from the news

I get no pleasure from watching tv at all

Adam
08-22-05, 11:04 PM
i hate reality tv, even though it isnt really reality (most of them arent anyway). i watch tv to escape reality, not to watch it. some of the stupidest shows too. why cant tv be what it used to be? i thought this was just a phase but hell it just wont die.

Boombotz
08-22-05, 11:06 PM
You know, my family bugged me for a home cinema system, i never watch the damn thing, apart from the news

I get no pleasure from watching tv at all

Same here, I couldn't tell you the last time I watched TV besides the news. The wife on the other hand she has list of show she has to watch or the end of the world is going to happen.:D

HotRodSaint
08-23-05, 12:18 AM
I'll post later, BIG BROTHER is on T.V.!! :p

Jesda
08-23-05, 12:42 AM
I hate myself for enjoying American Idol.

Ralph
08-23-05, 12:46 AM
I don't like it either.

danbuc
08-23-05, 02:45 AM
F**K Reality TV....that's all I'm sayin' :bomb:

These new smilies are awesome! :highfive:

illumina
08-23-05, 03:02 AM

Yes, bare knuckle fighting kicks pure ass!!! Mixed martial arts is my favorite thing to do when I get the free time...

I didn't get to see it, but the "Iceman" Chuck Liddell ripped up Horn Saturday night...I really wanted to see that :rant2:

I wanna be just like the "Iceman" when I grow up!

Other than boxing or other forms of brutality, I really don't like TV.

madooch
08-23-05, 03:50 AM
reality TV is all bullshit:rant2:

HotRodSaint
08-23-05, 11:07 AM
I hate myself for enjoying American Idol.

American Idol and The Apprentice are all I can watch. :o

I wish cheesy P.I. shows would make a comeback!! :yup:

I miss Rockford Files, Magnum PI and Simon and Simon. :(

SilverCTS
08-23-05, 12:48 PM
Reality TV is nothing but garbage.

However, I do like American Chopper. Is that reality TV?

EcSTSatic
08-23-05, 01:07 PM
We pulled cable out a few years back and never regretted it. Rather than sit on my a$$ watching some stupid show, I have more time do things with my life.
Having never been a boob tube addict, it was easy to walk away from the couch!

Kev
08-23-05, 01:26 PM
What is reality tv? I can't say I've ever seen reality tv. The term is an oxymoron.

The only thing more amazing to me than the current amount of shows labeled as reality tv is the fact that there are thousands, no, millions of people who watch them and enjoy them. That wouldn't bother me so much if I knew that all the viewers understood the shows for what they are, cheap, scripted, low budget titilators. What gets me is how serious some people take stuff they see on tv.

If it weren't so pitiful it would be funny...

SilverCTS
08-23-05, 02:19 PM
We pulled cable out a few years back and never regretted it. Rather than sit on my a$$ watching some stupid show, I have more time do things with my life.
Having never been a boob tube addict, it was easy to walk away from the couch!

I would do that except for the fact that the major networks (ABC, NBC, & CBS) have the worst shows on TV by far.

Other than sports, I only watch the cable channels: discovery channel, learning channel, history channel, CNBC & Fox News.

I do agree about it being easy to walk away from the couch though... My kids don't watch nearly as much TV as I did when I was a kid. I don't watch nearly as much either...

davesdeville
08-23-05, 02:36 PM
Yes, bare knuckle fighting kicks pure ass!!! Mixed martial arts is my favorite thing to do when I get the free time...

I didn't get to see it, but the "Iceman" Chuck Liddell ripped up Horn Saturday night...I really wanted to see that :rant2:

I wanna be just like the "Iceman" when I grow up!

Other than boxing or other forms of brutality, I really don't like TV.

Dammit I wanted Jeremy Horn to win. Liddell is like the 90s Chicago Bulls, so good that it's pointless to watch. I really dislike teams and people like that.

Jesda
08-23-05, 04:24 PM
Magnum PI was awesome! I remember growing up as a kid and wishing I had that car, that helicopter, etc.

illumina
08-23-05, 04:37 PM
Dammit I wanted Jeremy Horn to win. Liddell is like the 90s Chicago Bulls, so good that it's pointless to watch. I really dislike teams and people like that.

He might get his if him and Couture ever square up again. Couture is badass and has beaten Liddell before...

Playdrv4me
08-23-05, 04:59 PM
The only reason I keep cable is because the drivel on the major Networks is just about useless and I do like some quote/unquote "reality" tv shows.

Theres about 3 sitcoms I can enjoy on the major networks. Everybody Loves Raymond (took me along time to warm up to it and now its gone, go figure), King of Queens and Two and a Half Men, all are on CBS or Syndication.

Other than that I watch Discovery, TLC (though TLC has become the women's version of Discovery now except for Rides and Overhaulin), the History Channel, A&E and I do have a secret thing for Shopping channels, especially the watch show on ShopNBC.

But really, Im paying for about 59 channels I never even use.

Ralph
08-23-05, 05:10 PM
Magnum PI was awesome! I remember growing up as a kid and wishing I had that car, that helicopter, etc.

I agree, that show was awsome!

Most shows I see now that I loved as a kid I can't stand anymore, like Starsky and Hutch, Remington Steele, etc. but MPI seemed to hold up and I can still watch them w/o getting bored to death.

Rolex
08-23-05, 05:11 PM
I'll post later, BIG BROTHER is on T.V.!! :p

My wife loves that horrible show. :bomb: She even watches the cameras in the house on the internet. I might watch it if they'd bare-knuckle fight every episode.:p

Ralph
08-23-05, 05:12 PM
and I do have a secret thing for Shopping channels, especially the watch show on ShopNBC.

OMG!! I knew I had a cloned brother out there somewhere! ;)

dbdartman
08-23-05, 06:24 PM
One of the local Philly stations did a survey on their web site a few months ago, asking if people thought there were enough "reality TV" shows or should there be more. Results: 98% of respondants said "NO MORE REALITY TV!"

I'm happy I have a dish system; TLC, History, History International, National Geographic, Discovery, Discovery Times, Science Channel, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, & Nicktoons are what you'll normally find on my set. The "networks" suck eggs & their idea of "entertainment" makes me vomit!

BTW, we can all thank MTV & their "real life" show for spawning the blight known as "reality TV!"

Kev
08-23-05, 06:41 PM
BTW, we can all thank MTV & their "real life" show for spawning the blight known as "reality TV!"Hey, what does MTV stand for nowadays? When it first aired it stood for Music Television. I don't think they play enough music on there to call it that anymore do they? :hmm:

mccombie_5
08-23-05, 06:44 PM
Hey, what does MTV stand for nowadays? When it first aired it stood for Music Television. I don't think they play enough music on there to call it that anymore do they? :hmm:

They play NO music on MTV anymore, i occasionally watch the music channels: The box, the hits, smash hits, VH1 Classic, magic TV, and Scuzz

I like to keep up to date on modern music :) I just bought a Joss Stone album today :D

VinnyT
08-23-05, 07:56 PM
You want a reality TV show.....Take an Amish family and put them in Halem for the weekend. Now THAT'S a reality show.:gungrin: I'd like to see a horse on blocks! LOL!!

mccombie_5
08-23-05, 08:00 PM
You want a reality TV show.....Take an Amish family and put them in Halem for the weekend. Now THAT'S a reality show.:gungrin: I'd like to see a horse on blocks! LOL!!

LOL :histeric:

davesdeville
08-23-05, 08:11 PM

I bet Fox would do that. UPN did Amish in the City.

ben72227
08-23-05, 08:15 PM
I hate the really lame ones - like Bachelor and Fear Factor, but I enjoy some of them, especially ones on MTV - like True Life, MADE, Pimp My Ride, and to a lesser degree, The Real World AUSTIN...I don't really like any of the network ones though...A&E has some good ones too - Dogg the Bounty Hunter and Intervention...

EDIT: Of course MTV doesn't play music anymore; thats what MTV2 is for. Jeez guys, keep up here:p

VinnyT
08-23-05, 08:17 PM
I forgot about Intervention. That one is pretty good.

Jesda
08-24-05, 03:36 AM
Argh, The Real World... tell me you didnt just say that!!!

DopeStar 156
08-24-05, 03:44 AM
If you ask me reality TV is just a trend and since it's getting ever so unpopular I think it's on it's way out. Ya know what's sad? I've seen commercials for fake reality TV shows and actually thought they were real. Like that Tiny House GEICO commercial. I seriously thought that was gonna be a real damn show. Very sad.....

Kev
08-24-05, 03:48 AM
If you ask me reality TV is just a trend and since it's getting ever so unpopular I think it's on it's way out. Ya know what's sad? I've seen commercials for fake reality TV shows and actually thought they were real. Like that Tiny House GEICO commercial. I seriously thought that was gonna be a real damn show. Very sad.....Oh! That is Awesome!

Kev
08-25-05, 03:00 AM
OK, I just saw a "Reality TV" show that caught my interest for a few minutes..... "Kicked Out". :histeric:

What a crack up! This spoiled young man still living with Mom and Dad gets all of his stuff packed up and out while he is out somewhere spending their money! Unfortunately the show lost credibility with me when they gave him directions to an apartment they provided for him, gave him money to live on and kept bringing him "care packages" of things that he would need.

I say, "Kick em out on their ear and let them fend for themselves!"