: Pics of my oil leaks

mikec35
04-12-14, 05:46 PM
I've been putting a quart in every 500-700 miles. I am using and leaking oil (smell burning oil while idling and after car is shut off). I finally put the car on the lift and here is what I saw after letting it idle on the lift for about 10 minutes. I can't really see the front valve cover gasket to see if it is contributing to the leaks. I can see that the sensor at the oil filter is leaking but it looks minor. Any idea where the oil would be coming from in the first pic? That's got to be the burning oil smell. I also saw a little water in the area, probably antifreeze. My check coolant level light came on yesterday for the first time and I had to add about a half gallon of antifreeze. Any advice? Thanks

Submariner409
04-12-14, 06:06 PM
If that's the crossunder exhaust pipe and shield, the leak is most likely a rear main bearing - engine oil - seal. Transmission fluid would be pink. EDIT: Maybe - maybe - an oil pan seal. No picnic either way.

An oil pressure sending switch can leak a LOT of oil under 40 - 60 psi during normal driving.

Rear main seal = Remove engine, transmission and flexplate (put in a new one - flexplate). GM labor alone is 12.5 hours plus parts. $1450 minimum. That buys a LOT of dino engine oil. :rolleyes:

Coolant - water pump shaft seal (uncommon), water pump housing cover, water crossover, thermostat housing, lower hose/clamp.

Doola36
04-13-14, 02:30 AM
I had a similar oil leak on my deville DTS and it was my rear valve cover gasket leaking. I had oil on the the oil pan and oil the exhaust bracket piece. I replaced the gasket last week.

mikec35
04-13-14, 07:26 PM
If that's the crossunder exhaust pipe and shield, the leak is most likely a rear main bearing - engine oil - seal. Transmission fluid would be pink. EDIT: Maybe - maybe - an oil pan seal. No picnic either way.

An oil pressure sending switch can leak a LOT of oil under 40 - 60 psi during normal driving.

Rear main seal = Remove engine, transmission and flexplate (put in a new one - flexplate). GM labor alone is 12.5 hours plus parts. $1450 minimum. That buys a LOT of dino engine oil. :rolleyes:

Coolant - water pump shaft seal (uncommon), water pump housing cover, water crossover, thermostat housing, lower hose/clamp.

Thanks- I've been searching the tech tips and Google for replacement procedure for the oil pressure switch- any help finding the correct procedure to replace a 2000 would be appreciated! Thanks

Ranger
04-13-14, 08:21 PM
It's on the oil filter adapter. Just drop the lower air deflector and you'll see it. You should be able to R & R it without removing the adapter.

mikec35
04-13-14, 08:30 PM
It's behind the motor mount. You can't get your hand in there to remove the electrical connector. It appears you need to either remove the motor mount or the oil fill adapter. If intake the adapter off do I need to get new gaskets or o-rings? Looking for the least labor intensive way to go. Thanks

Ranger
04-13-14, 09:02 PM
The oil filter adapter is MUCH easier to remove. I removed mine when I changed the CKP sensors. Don't even think about the motor mount.

There where two types. Earlier version used 2 O rings. The later type was an aluminum plate with the gasket formed to it. Chances are you can reuse it. I reused the last one I pulled. Not sure which one the 2000 uses.

EDIT: According to Rockauto, the 2000 uses O rings.

Old type
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/Parallax1/OilPressureSwitch002.jpg

New type - not exactly like these, but similar. I can't find an exact picture.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41auxkly0CL.jpg

mikec35
04-13-14, 10:47 PM
Perfect. That's what I needed to know. I didn't want to take it apart and be stuck waiting on parts to put it back together. Ordered o-rings from Rock Auto. This thing is leaking all over the place. Replaced the rear cam cover gasket last week. Going to replace the front and the oil pressure switch at the same time. Hopefully I can find my antifreeze leak during the process. 187,000 miles- guess you gotta expect some leaks. Thanks!

Ranger
04-13-14, 11:45 PM
The 2000+ engine are known for leaking coolant from the crossover manifold. Be advised, it's a bitch of a job.

mikec35
04-14-14, 09:05 AM
The 2000+ engine are known for leaking coolant from the crossover manifold. Be advised, it's a bitch of a job.
I've bookmarked the steps to do this job (just in case),hopefully it's something simpler.