: Will high gas priced kill high performance cars?

Z06CTSV
08-22-05, 02:25 PM
Hi all,

I posted this in the Corvette Forum, it may also effect us CTS-V owners.

Just hope that the increasing gas prices do not hurt future development of high performance cars (70's and 80"s). I believe that low production vehicles will still be around (Hopefully). I 'm just concerned with R & D going more and more to hybrids, electric, hydrogen, etc. Don't get me wrong, the car manufactures should and will be forced to do something. Just concerned for our beautiful Z06.

The reason I'm writing this is because I had a strange problem last night. I went to Shell, Exxon, Chevron, and could not find SUPER UNLEADED. I finally went to another Chevron and found some (2.67/gallon). The only reason that I could think of for this problem is low demand. I imagine that low grade unleaded is taking all the refining time. I hope this isn't an issue later on with Z06 refueling (93 Octane). Also will this low demand increase the SUPER UNLEADED price even more or worse eliminate it all together?

Joe
New Orleans

rand49er
08-22-05, 02:35 PM
It's all supply and demand. This great free market system, if allowed, will find a way to meet the needs of society, and we auto enthusiasts are a significant part of our society. I believe SOMETHING will be around in the future for us.:thumbsup:

Barak
08-22-05, 02:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, the car manufactures should and will be forced to do something. Just concerned for our beautiful Z06.

I don't believe that the manufacturers should be forced to build cars that no one wants to drive. God forbid when the market does dictate that we all drive econoboxes. Any more talk of the government should do this and should do that and the Zo6 will be nothing more than a fond memory.

Koooop
08-22-05, 03:05 PM
Gas prices, CAFE standards and smog requirments killed HO cars once before... This was one of the piss poor reasons I used to convince myself to buy the V. I don't believe these HO gas hog cars are going to be around long.

pmsteinm
08-22-05, 03:19 PM
I don't think we have to worry anytime soon. SUVs tend to get about the same mileage as high performance cars do, and we all know the SUV trend is going to take a while to die out.

Z06CTSV
08-22-05, 03:38 PM
MPG is nice, but I'm mainly talking about supply and demand of Super/Plus Unleaded fuel availability and price.

Joe

ahahnu
08-22-05, 03:49 PM
Personally I would be out driving right now if gas didn't cost bout $3 a gallon right now. Its really pissing me off, but someone said that gas prices never inflated with everything else, so I guess its time. I am worried about your topic, I would love to own a new Z06 eventually, but there is the looming problems that lay before us.

wildwhl
08-22-05, 04:04 PM
I don't think so.

Let me share this.

04 CTS-V supercharged - 16 around town, 26 hiway trips
03 Murano - 16 around town, 22 hiway trips
03 Savana Van - 14 around town, 20 hiway trips
03 Matrix - 18 around town, 25 hiway trips
66 chevy II - 10 mpg all the time

So you see - the highest performance vehicle actually gets the best MPG when need be :D

riverrat
08-22-05, 04:44 PM
Shortages may be a local thing or we are near the seasonal refinery change over to winter reformulated gas. Here in Kentucky I've found the regular mark up of $.10 per grade changing at some stations to only $.05 and I thought this was from less use of higher octane fuels and an over supply.
Here's a few things to think over:
>Oil industry earnings per dollar: 7.6 cents
>Average for all U.S. industries: 7.9 cents
>Gas price inflation since 1982: 66%
>Food: 88.7%
>Tuition and child care: 330%
>Hospital bills: 332%
>Tabacco: 336%
>1970 LT-1 Corvette 350/370hp $6,000 vs 2002 Z06 350/405hp $50,000
It just costs more today to eat, learn, get sick, have a smoke and drive the hot rod :rolleyes:

03Z06Vette
08-22-05, 04:48 PM
I don't think so. My Z06 gets the best mileage out of all my cars at 30 mpg on the highway. The CTS-V only gets around 23, and the Tahoe only 17.

Dave's V
08-22-05, 07:59 PM
My V averaged 25.5 on my weekend trip from Salt Lake City to Denver. I didn't drive it to save gas either. On the way back I cruised at 80mph and still averaged around 25mpg.

I don't think an EVO, STI or RX8 can post those numbers and those 3 engines together are almost as big as the LS6.

A lot of Prius owners buy it to save gas but pay $30k or more for an econobox. Gas prices are high and I hate paying the crooks (oil companies) but it cost $8-10 just to go see a movie these days for one person. That is before food. For the same price you can drive your V for around 1 1/2 hours.

N*Tony
08-28-05, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

I posted this in the Corvette Forum, it may also effect us CTS-V owners.

Just hope that the increasing gas prices do not hurt future development of high performance cars (70's and 80"s). I believe that low production vehicles will still be around (Hopefully). I 'm just concerned with R & D going more and more to hybrids, electric, hydrogen, etc. Don't get me wrong, the car manufactures should and will be forced to do something. Just concerned for our beautiful Z06.

The reason I'm writing this is because I had a strange problem last night. I went to Shell, Exxon, Chevron, and could not find SUPER UNLEADED. I finally went to another Chevron and found some (2.67/gallon). The only reason that I could think of for this problem is low demand. I imagine that low grade unleaded is taking all the refining time. I hope this isn't an issue later on with Z06 refueling (93 Octane). Also will this low demand increase the SUPER UNLEADED price even more or worse eliminate it all together?

Joe
New Orleans

http://moopster.com/laguna03/cdz5.jpg

no chance in hell theyre gonna do away w/ the vette. acording to this picture the Z06 gets 16mpg w/ 500hp. thats just as good as my yukon.

oh yea btw at Sunoco i think you can still get 94 octane.

dbdartman
08-29-05, 01:14 PM
This is nothing like 1973, the first time fuel prices doubled. Back then, people that were getting 10 MPG couldn't get rid of them fast enough to get into a 30 MPG car. Today, cars are MUCH more efficient.

All I see this doing is pushing those that can barely support the payments on their giant status symble SUVs & such into smaller cars. Smaller cars WILL sell better, which means the car companies are making less per unit, which means we'll see them going up in price (over & above the increase that the fuel costs will cause by themselves).