: combustion leak tester

Harry Yarnell
04-12-14, 10:25 AM
I've just purchased a combustion leak tester from U-View. This Is the turkey baster device that you put a blue liquid in, and look for a color change.
My question is: do you sample vapors from the surge tank with the engine off (cold or warm), or with the engine running?
Instructions aren't clear.

Submariner409
04-12-14, 10:47 AM
Go for a drive, come home, idle the engine with the A/C running (to keep fans in SLOW) and slowly and carefully release cooling system pressure by loosening the surge tank cap. If the system shows ANY signs of blowing hot coolant out the filler neck, STOP and reseal the system.

Once pressure is bled off, sample the airspace over the coolant in the surge tank. Do NOT introduce coolant into the tester - if you do, it's soap and water cleanup, start over. Bubble the tester for the specified time - don't try to extend the time to "make it better".

Harry Yarnell
04-12-14, 11:02 AM
N
Next question: can you 'reuse' the blue liquid if it doesn't turn yellow? Not trying to be cheap...but I guess I am...

Ranger
04-12-14, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkMC-5Mtz8

I don't think I'd reuse it.

Submariner409
04-12-14, 11:16 AM
Don't try to re-use the fluid. Once used for a test - regardless of the result - the fluid is contaminated.

JoeTahoe
04-12-14, 08:26 PM
fluid is one time use. Good luck I am keeping my fingers crossed for you

Caddy-EaRL
04-12-14, 09:10 PM
We get ours from the snap on guy. Reuse it all the time. Even after it turns yellow, several pumps with fresh air turns it back to blue. Shrugs

Submariner409
04-13-14, 10:23 AM
Damn - tried that on a local DHS (last year) and the fluid didn't go back to blue. More homework needed.

Ranger
04-13-14, 11:03 AM
We get ours from the snap on guy. Reuse it all the time. Even after it turns yellow, several pumps with fresh air turns it back to blue. Shrugs
Interesting. I never knew that, but I guess it makes sense.

Submariner409
04-13-14, 11:24 AM
Yes, it does ........... If ?? carbon monoxide ?? is the fluid color change trigger, bubbling clean air through it should remove the CO. Absent any CO, blue fluid.

(I need to find a bad Northstar - bite my tongue.)