: Aston Martin turns a profit

HotRodSaint
08-22-05, 11:06 AM
Ulrich Bez, CEO of Aston Martin Lagonda, said the automaker posted an operating profit in the first and second quarters. The profits are the first that Aston Martin has posted since the early 1960s, the company said. (http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54255)

Ford saves the UK!!! :)

mccombie_5
08-22-05, 11:09 AM
Ulrich Bez, CEO of Aston Martin Lagonda, said the automaker posted an operating profit in the first and second quarters. The profits are the first that Aston Martin has posted since the early 1960s, the company said. (http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=54255)

Ford saves the UK!!! :)

They brought Jaguar back from a dangerous place too. Id love an ASton Martin, a DB7GT IMO is the best looking car of recent years.

HotRodSaint
08-22-05, 11:13 AM
They brought Jaguar back from a dangerous place too.

I just hope we don't see any Jaguar SUV's!! That's why Ford bought Land Rover.

But a Jaguar S-Type "Shooting Brake" would be cool! :thumbsup:

mccombie_5
08-22-05, 11:19 AM
I just hope we don't see any Jaguar SUV's!! That's why Ford bought Land Rover.

But a Jaguar S-Type "Shooting Brake" would be cool! :thumbsup:

I plan to buy an XJR in December, if they build an SUV i wont be placing my order ;)

Maybe, the X-Type Estate is doing well. I dont know if you get them in the States

Jesda
08-22-05, 11:22 AM
Holy farking crap, a profitable Aston?!!?!?!? That's awesome! I hope Jag shows some positive numbers soon.

mccombie_5
08-22-05, 11:31 AM
Holy farking crap, a profitable Aston?!!?!?!? That's awesome! I hope Jag shows some positive numbers soon.

They will, since ford took these comapnies over theyve been bulding their best cars in many years.

Sandy
08-22-05, 12:08 PM
Yes we have those Jags in the USA. They don't seem to sell too good. I have seen just 1. They arrived for 2004 & a half. My wife LoVeS THEM ! !! !!

mccombie_5
08-22-05, 12:18 PM
Yes we have those Jags in the USA. They don't seem to sell too good. I have seen just 1. They arrived for 2004 & a half. My wife LoVeS THEM ! !! !!

I like them alot, had they been around in 2002, i would have gotten one instead of a Rover 75 Tourer, they look very similar. They are slightly on the small side though.
The Jaguar on this picture looks great in that colour, and thats a Rover 75 Tourer down there too. Mine was as far as i know a one off in Oxygen blue

fast66
08-22-05, 04:23 PM
I like the rovers better...they look like a small bentley. Ive seen some on 20's...real nice.

mccombie_5
08-22-05, 04:37 PM
I like the rovers better...they look like a small bentley. Ive seen some on 20's...real nice.

Yeah they were known for being "poor mans Jags"

i like both rovers jags and Bentleys.....

Ive had quite a few Rovers over the years....See "how old is everyone here thread" thats where my full list is....

HotRodSaint
08-23-05, 12:17 AM
They are slightly on the small side though.

That's the main reason the X-type has failed here.

mccombie_5
08-23-05, 04:10 PM
That's the main reason the X-type has failed here.

Yeah i think they are cheap feeling too, they are a rebodied Ford Mondeo

HotRodSaint
08-23-05, 10:39 PM
Yeah i think they are cheap feeling too, they are a rebodied Ford Mondeo

The Mondeo looks better. :shhh:

mccombie_5
08-23-05, 10:43 PM
The Mondeo looks better. :shhh:

Hmmmm. Im a traditional Jaguar buyer, so i like that look, a chrome grille would have helped it a bit IMO

I dont like fords really, the last ford badged car i ran was my 1980 Cortina 2.0, i ran it around as a beater car in 1984...Although i have had Land Rovers, Range Rovers, Jaguars and Lincolns, i just dont liek driving a car with a Ford badge

RBraczyk
08-24-05, 01:20 AM
x-type = Jag on ford taurus chassis.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 06:24 AM
x-type = Jag on ford taurus chassis.

How big is a Ford Taurus.......and also i thoght they used the Mondeo because at the time it was a brand new platform.......

http://www.autoxperience.tv/wallpapers/WP-FordMondeoST220_1024.jpg

^^Mondeo^^

http://www.automotivechronicles.com/articles/2005/mar/02/images/b33092-jaguar-x-type.jpg

^^X-Type^^

Is the Mondeo Platform the same as a Taurus?

Jesda
08-24-05, 06:48 AM
Mondeo NOT= Taurus
Contour = Previous Mondeo
X-Type = Current Mondeo

I actually think the Mondeo is better looking than the X-type. Its looks clean and properly fitted to the wheelbase, while the X-type looks like it was squeezed into place.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 07:18 AM
Mondeo NOT= Taurus
Contour = Previous Mondeo
X-Type = Current Mondeo

I actually think the Mondeo is better looking than the X-type. Its looks clean and properly fitted to the wheelbase, while the X-type looks like it was squeezed into place.

I thought so...

The Mondeo is a good looking car, i think handsome is the word.

I also agree in that the X-ype looks as is someone took an S-Type and pushed the front and back towards each other. I dont like the idea of a small Jaguar at all, but it sells well here and if its good for Jaguar im happy. Ive owned Jags for many years, and its about time they came out of the dark ages

I would like to see an XJ Coupe like the ones from the 70s. They were beautiful. I ran one for a few years in the early 90s and loved it. I wish I had never sold it...

RBraczyk
08-24-05, 07:22 AM
The mondeo is on the taurus platform.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 07:28 AM

What size is a Taurus, it is available with six seats yes? It must be quite a size.... The Mondeo is small by US standards or so i thoguht.

Also my automotive Bible says it competes with the Camry?

Int he UK the Mondeo is the same size as the Accord/Avensis/Vectra category, im pretty sure it isnt the same size or they wouldnt of shipped them out there and sold them along side the Taurus.

They may share some basic architecture somewhere deep in the heart of the car

RBraczyk
08-24-05, 07:29 AM
Yea, frame/sussy are the same.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 07:34 AM
Ahh i get you. Just Ford Europe dropped smaller bodywork over it. There was no demand for aford any bigger than that in the UK.

There was a Ford Scorpio until a few years ago, but nobody bought it because it was ugly and the Vauxhall Omega did the Domestic Full size sooo much better

http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/ford/ford_scorpio_1997_02_b.jpg

^^I behold the Ford Scorpio^^

Sick bags are under the seat.

Playdrv4me
08-24-05, 11:08 AM
Yea, frame/sussy are the same.

Are you sure about that?

HotRodSaint
08-24-05, 11:08 AM

Not sure that's correct Rob.

Our now defunct Contour was on the previous generation Mondeo platform.

All magazines I read said X-type=Mondeo or Contour=Mondeo. I never read anywhere that Taurus=Mondeo platform.

HotRodSaint
08-24-05, 11:10 AM
They may share some basic architecture somewhere deep in the heart of the car

Or they may share a 'Ford' badge. :)

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 11:12 AM
Or they may share a 'Ford' badge. :)

I wouldnt know, the last ford badged car i owned was a 1980 Ford Cortina.

I really didnt think that the ondeo was a Taurus

HotRodSaint
08-24-05, 11:17 AM
I actually think the Mondeo is better looking than the X-type.

I like the styling cues, but only on the big Jag.

On the small one, it just doesn't have the right proportions.

I like the S-type styling alot, and I hope they continue to conservatively evolve it.

Jesda
08-24-05, 11:42 AM

I'm gonna have to say no on that one, my friend.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 11:48 AM
Still, Jaguar could do with e new coupe. I had an XK8 in 1998 and it felt dated then, i think they would sell coupe versions of the XJ

Remember these ones, they were beautiful, just like my old 77 that i had in 1993.

http://jaguar.fiboy.com/images/Jaguar%20Coupe.jpg

Kev
08-24-05, 11:53 AM
Still, Jaguar could do with e new coupe. I had an XK8 in 1998 and it felt dated then, i think they would sell coupe versions of the XJ

Remember these ones, they were beautiful, just like my old 77 that i had in 1993.

http://jaguar.fiboy.com/images/Jaguar%20Coupe.jpgOoh, that's purdy. Wow, that would be a great little ride if a guy dropped in a nice Ford 5.0 HO with a 6 speed! :p

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 11:57 AM
Ooh, that's purdy. Wow, that would be a great little ride if a guy dropped in a nice Ford 5.0 HO with a 6 speed! :p

Always with the spoiling of the Jaguars :nono:

My 77 had the Straight six. It wasnt that fast, it was the most beautiful car ever built before the Aston DB7 was made IMO

Kev
08-24-05, 12:05 PM
Always with the spoiling of the Jaguars :nono:

My 77 had the Straight six. It wasnt that fast, it was the most beautiful car ever built before the Aston DB7 was made IMOHey, at least with a Ford 5.0 it'd still be in the family now wouldn't it?
And what an improvement in performance and reliability! :thumbsup:
:burn:

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 12:07 PM
Hey, at least with a Ford 5.0 it'd still be in the family now wouldn't it?
And what an improvement in performance and reliability! :thumbsup:
:burn:

Shush! Youre spoiling it! Ill set that ugly dog onto you

Playdrv4me
08-24-05, 02:00 PM
I'm gonna have to say no on that one, my friend.

Ill have to agree, No literature Ive ever read about the Mondeo platform has it sharing anything but a passing resemblance with the Taurus platform. Come to think of it though, I havent heard much about the Taurus platform at all, not sure if its shared with ANYTHING, but its definitely the same one thats been around since 1996. The Contour was still around at that time and there was no indication of platform sharing.

mccombie_5
08-24-05, 02:16 PM
Ill have to agree, No literature Ive ever read about the Mondeo platform has it sharing anything but a passing resemblance with the Taurus platform. Come to think of it though, I havent heard much about the Taurus platform at all, not sure if its shared with ANYTHING, but its definitely the same one thats been around since 1996. The Contour was still around at that time and there was no indication of platform sharing.

Yes, the Mondeo would have been from before the current Taurus, they were first released in 1993

The current mondeo was launched on an all new platform in 2000 (i think?)