: Northstar head bolt hole thread repair options

slsgxpgtpman
02-26-14, 04:06 AM
indeed I think I have a long ways to go before trouble as my 04 SLS only has 19K on it now and mine has the longer and courser head bolts with the improved 2004 models.
However, a neighbor of mine owns and still drives a 99 SLS Seville all original engine with 410,000 miles. She was a real estate sales lady who drove a rural route in eastern Wash state and it seems the highway miles were easy on that engine. Her son drives the car to college now and it has been well cared for and it shows.

stoveguyy
02-26-14, 11:18 AM
Just looked at a 08 DTS with new stud kit. And 4 new struts. Owner is asking avg book value.

Ranger
02-26-14, 12:02 PM
indeed I think I have a long ways to go before trouble as my 04 SLS only has 19K on it now
WOW!

However, a neighbor of mine owns and still drives a 99 SLS Seville all original engine with 410,000 miles.
Double WOW!!

04GrandAmGT
02-26-14, 03:02 PM
Yes but you also gotta remember in the 90's internet was not nearly as popular as it is now and how many people junked there engines? cause there was no fix nor could they find one.

Submariner409
02-26-14, 05:14 PM
In the 90s the Northstar was a new engine, the cars were new and many were in warranty. TimeFastener Company was around, making the inserts because HeliCoils would not hold. Even the 2002 GM Seville manual has an entire chapter dedicated to several kinds of thread repair possibilities.

NOW someone can buy a $53,000 sticker price Northstar car for peanuts, the cars are old, and we see the "How do I fix it ?" results. You guys would have had no market for studs until after the late 90s......... and you'll notice that TimeFastener is now making the BigSert because of the fine thread problems.

Few gearheads realize that a perfectly legitimate fix for a Northstar head gasket problem is to BigSert/NS300L the block and use ARP studs, hardened washers and nuts.

04GrandAmGT
02-26-14, 06:19 PM
NEVER Bigert, NEVER. I have had more calls than i can count on my fingers asking if our kit still works if bigserts have been installed because either it failed 10,000 miles down the road or during torque down, comparing insert to insert norms with arp studs would be your best bet.

Ranger
02-26-14, 09:57 PM
I thought Bigserts where basically the same as Norms NS300L's (larger coarser thread). What's the difference?

04GrandAmGT
02-27-14, 11:26 AM
Its not coarser its larger thread, Timesert company has a patent where the thread pitch has to stay the same to keep in there parameters, so the outside diameter may be larger the threads are still 93-03 - M .. x 1.5 and 04+ is M .. x 2.0, where is norms insert is longer and also a large Coarse Thread.