: Anyone used Lucas Engine Stop Leak?

97 D'Elegance
04-11-14, 11:17 AM
My engine has just 57,000 miles on it, and still runs great, but it seems as though the oil is leaking a lot faster than when I first got the car at 47,000 miles. I'm tired of buying an extra 5 gallon carton of oil to keep for top offs so I'm looking for a ''solution''. And I know it won't completely stop the leak, but will Lucas at least slow it down? Has anyone tried it, or any other stop leak products?

Ranger
04-11-14, 11:25 AM
DO NOT put any snake oil in your engine, trans or fuel tank. :tisk: All that crap will do is swell the seals. It may slow it down until the seals deteriorate.

Submariner409
04-11-14, 11:27 AM
Don't.

Most times, the leak is a relatively simple fix. Find the source and go from there. Open the hood and do some Sherlock Holmes.

rodnok01
04-11-14, 11:29 AM
Is it leaking or is it burning the oil off?
DO NOT ADD SNAKE OIL!!!
Remember half way up the XXXXX on the dipstick is where the oil level should be, any higher and it will burn it off.
A quart or 2 between changes not unheard of, myself mine use at least 1 qt.

dusty256
04-11-14, 02:34 PM
Things to check which are simple. Oil filter adaptor , oil preasure switch and oil level switch. All which can cause annoying leaks

williamk
04-11-14, 03:05 PM
DO NOT put any snake oil in your engine, trans or fuel tank. :tisk: All that crap will do is swell the seals. It may slow it down until the seals deteriorate.

Uh oh. I've long been a user of Lucas fuel system cleaner. Not frequently, but usually along with oil change intervals. First thing I did when I got the '03 DHS was a fill up with premium fuel and a bottle of Lucas. Don't do this?

Caddy-EaRL
04-11-14, 03:16 PM
Premium is a waste. Your engine has knock sensors and the timing is constantly being retarded and advanced as needed which is why 87 octane is all that's required/recommended. premium doesn't have any more cleaning agents than regular, and both will keep your fuel system as clean as it needs to be.

Ranger
04-11-14, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't use it. Owners manual says not to use any additives. I am a firm believer that all they do is add to the manufacturers bottom line. Probably won't do any harm to anything but YOUR bottom line unless you use too much, they are after all, pretty harsh solvents and can deteriorate the varnish insulation on the pump and injector windings.

Let me ask you this. Why do you think you need to use it? Because Lucas convinced you that you need to? Every gas station has at least one filter (if not more) before the fuel reaches your tank. Then there is a very fine mesh strainer in your tank at the fuel pump pick up and then the inline filter, not to mention all the EPA regulations and industry additives (including detergents).

williamk
04-11-14, 03:42 PM
Premium is a waste. Your engine has knock sensors and the timing is constantly being retarded and advanced as needed which is why 87 octane is all that's required/recommended. premium doesn't have any more cleaning agents than regular, and both will keep your fuel system as clean as it needs to be.

I wouldn't use it. Owners manual says not to use any additives. I am a firm believer that all they do is add to the manufacturers bottom line. Probably won't do any harm to anything but YOUR bottom line unless you use too much, they are after all, pretty harsh solvents and can deteriorate the varnish insulation on the pump and injector windings.

Let me ask you this. Why do you think you need to use it? Because Lucas convinced you that you need to? Every gas station has at least one filter (if not more) before the fuel reaches your tank. Then there is a very fine mesh strainer in your tank at the fuel pump pick up and then the inline filter, not to mention all the EPA regulations and industry additives (including detergents).

Okay guys. I'm born again. No more premium and no more Lucas. I'm thinking about what a great night out I could have with all the money spent on fuel additives over the years. :rolleyes:

mavric240
04-11-14, 04:39 PM
This fourm opened my eyes to "Snake Oil's". I have sworn off all of them in my own cars and to recommending to my customers. However there are some additives that are better then other ones for specific issues and needs (If your in a spot and feel you have no choice but to try something just remember your "roosters will come home to roost" in the end.) As far as fuel goes regular gas is not the same as premuim gas. There are many different grades and ratings of gas; As well as seasonal blends to consider. Gas simply is not gas as there are many factrors and varibles. The later year N*'s do not require premuim but I beleive that you will be better serverd by running it as there are many studies that show you will have increased fuel mileage by doing so. For the older n*'s I promise you that if you run Regular fuel in them you will have issues. The computer and its sensors can only compensate for so much.

Submariner409
04-11-14, 04:45 PM
Okay guys. I'm born again. No more premium and no more Lucas. I'm thinking about what a great night out I could have with all the money spent on fuel additives over the years. :rolleyes:

Don't let anybody kid you - We have ALL used a ton and a half of snake oils over the years and have learned that it's all junk. As I've posted before, since 1953 I've probably burned enough Marvel Mystery Oil (founded in 1923) to float the New Jersey. Other stuff that some may have never heard of - Wynn's Friction Proofing, Bardahl, Rislone, a skrillion others. Several snake oil companies, Slick50 for one, have been hauled into FTC court for false advertising.

For some homework, Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron". TECHRON is a powerful fuel system cleaner, not recommended at full strength more than once in 5,000 miles. It's a component of quite a few American and Canadian gasolines.

Lucas, Seafoam, other shelf brands - I work part time at a locally owned (not a chain) automotive parts store and build engines as my own incorporated company. Google "spiff".

My 2002 STS gets the same gas mileage - town, rural, Interstate long runs - on 87 or 91/93. Maximum ignition advance is about 35 degrees BTDC and nothing on earth will make it go further. www.scangauge.com (http://www.scangauge.com). I watch Intake Air Temp (IAT), Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP), coolant temperature and ignition advance - in real time. Puts to bed a LOT of old wive's tales.

rodnok01
04-11-14, 05:48 PM
Yea I ran a lot of those products over the years and with old engine designs probably did help some. Used some products in my trucks that bit me in the wallet years ago and gave them up. I knew a retired Shell big wig in charge of product development and after hearing his insights I have never ran premium again and cut way back on the fuel system cleaner. Now saying that, a poorly maintained vehicle can benefit from some of those but man you have to be careful and I don't use the quantity they recommend. Let's face it you could dump just about anything into a carb and unless you hydrolocked it spark plug change was the downside, now i don't even consider it.

Ranger
04-11-14, 09:15 PM

Misery loves company. :hide:

TURBO2
04-13-14, 02:36 PM
So if your Northstar is leaking oil you just let it?
I have almost 121,000 miles on my 2005 and it's leaking from the oil sensors, oil pan, and one other I've forgotten where and to fix it the dealer will have to remove the engine from the car. With that cost it is not economical for me to repair it for the amount of oil loss I'm at right now. The dealer even suggested to use stop leak, or switch to dino oil to control the leaks.

Ranger
04-13-14, 05:35 PM
Yes, I'd let it leak before I'd put any snake oil in it.

Submariner409
04-13-14, 05:46 PM
....... and I doubt that the type of oil you run will make any difference in the leak rate.

Have you, personally, determined where the worst leak(s) is/are ? The CKPs, oil level sensor, filter, filter adapter and oil pressure sending switch are relatively easy, inexpensive fixes with simple shop and hand tools.

eldoedwardo
04-17-14, 02:28 PM
Hey Everyone,
williamk, congrats on your response about 'snake oils'! The guys have mellowed out a little since I mentioned that stuff
couple of years ago. Guys, you only speak the truth! On octane, my owners manual (1999 Eldorado) indicates premium
should always be used, two different Cad techs also claimed premium use was/is recommended. None of the three sources
would gain anything for saying this. perhaps '99 and older doesn't have a anti-knock sensor advanced enough to adjust
timing before 1999, I don't know. I like my N*s 22 mph in town and greater on the interstate. At .15 a gallon X20 gal.= $3. I would
rather take the O.M. and 2 techs recommendation and not take a chance on getting a few bad knocks (ha I made a
funny). I would not mind taking the sensor a little farther on its parameters to loosen it up but not at every day use.
Even using top tier gasoline its only on top of the worse. Don't save $3 a tank then push your N* to it's limits because
you think it can handle it. Look Ma no hands.. NO SNAKE OILS see guys we do learn....Ed

Ranger
04-17-14, 03:37 PM
No difference between the knock sensors. The only difference is the compression ratio was lowered by 1/10th in 2000 "allowing" the use of regular. In reality, you could still use it in the pre-2000's without any problems. I did it for several years.

----------

The guys have mellowed out a little since I mentioned that stuff
couple of years ago.
We're just getting old. :wisdom: