: 98 Deville Water Pump Fail After Serpentine Belt Replaced

mookymarou
04-10-14, 09:31 PM
I just had mt 98 Deville serpentine replaced along with some other work at a local repair shop. On the way home I had a massive coolant leak somewhere near the water pump. While the shop didn't do any work in the area of the water pump, is there any relation between the two? Or was it just bad luck that it happened at the same time I had work down on the engine? Thanks

MoistCabbage
04-10-14, 09:36 PM
There would be no chance of causing a leak on the drivers side if the engine while replacing the belt.

"Massive" leak, all of a sudden? Almost has to be a hose failure or disconnect.

Submariner409
04-11-14, 08:34 AM
Is there a series of clamps, or a channel, under the plastic radiator sight shield ? In the Sevilles there is - the channel holds the upper hose - and if you leave the upper radiator hose hanging it can chafe on the water pump drive and/or the cylinder head corners. Just a thought ...........

Ranger
04-11-14, 10:09 AM
The serpentine belt has absolutely nothing to do with the cooling system on the Northstar AND it's on the other end of the motor so the answer to your question is unequivocally no.

rodnok01
04-11-14, 10:27 AM
If they pushed the rad hose off the mounts could get worn through very quickly. It has happened a few times around the forums.