Cadillac Owners Forum banner

472 Engine swap from 70 to a 69 Deville

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CADforce69 
#1 ·
I have a 472 in a 1970 4 door Deville that is being rebuilt right now. I just picked up a 1969 with a better body and would like to put the new rebuilt engine from the 70 in the 69 chassis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also can the
leather from the 70 be switched to the 69?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, reddins :welcome:

1970 and 1969 were the same body, changing only cosmetic details, like some trim, taillights, some parts of the rear bumper... structure and engine bay were the same although there were some little mechanical changes like differential, radiator fan or the pulley diagram, so I think you will have no problem swapping a 69 engine for a 70 if both are RWD.

If you are referring to seat leather, I think both seats are the same, just changing fabrics or leather type

#3 ·
Thanks for the help. I will begin the swap as soon as the motor is finished. We are gutting the interior of the 69 today and will be putting the seats from the 70 in the 69 in the coming days.

There is some pretty good rust around the rear window on both cars. The 69 is better for sure but will need some work. Do you know of any good tricks to repair that with out welding in new metal at the base?

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
First you will have to cut the rotten metal, then apply a rust neutralizing agent. The best solution is welding a new piece of metal. You can make a pattern by using a paper and a pencil on the hole created cutting the rotten metal. Welding is not so difficult. You can borrow or rent a welding set (making some tests on another metal sheet prior to do the definitive work). You can use some strong magnets to hold the new piece while you are welding the first points. Another way could be using fiberglass to cover the hole. If correctly applied, it could last for many years. I´ve seen also use rivets to attach the new metal sheet instead of welding points but you will have to apply a good layer of bondo to cover the rivets and the new piece should be larger than the hole.

#5 ·
Do it once, do it right. Forget about rivets, bondo and fiber glass. Welding is the way to go. Anything else will be only temporary and ugly. Especially in places that are sensitive to moist and rust like around windows, doors and wheel wells.
Check if the rust is rusted through. If you still have a solid metal foundation underneath the rust, you need to remove it all and make it smooth again before painting. If rusted through you need to replace it and weld it.
:thumbsup:

#6 ·
i had the usual rust hole at the edge of the lower left window, it was my great uncles car and he filled it full of bondo and silicone and whatever else...it still leaked and ate the metal more. So i was tired of all that junk so I used quik steel (the two part putty/epoxy) and then ground it down and had the "painter" put a bedliner substance on my roof and you cant even tell now!

#7 ·
I had never thought of using this quick steel product. I´m curious about the long run results. The bedliner instead of vinyl is a sure bet to prevent more roof rust. In the case of my car, the previous owner just deleted the vinyl and painted the roof in the same color of the rest of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.