: Service Engine Soon? No apparent problems

2kflhr
08-20-05, 04:08 PM
My wife has a '97 Eldorado ETC w/51k on the ticker. Yesterday while running some errands she got into it a little and the 'Service Engine Soon' light came on.

I checked the air filter and it looked fine, no other apparent problems. I disconnected the battery to see if it cleared and it did.

I believe the 'SES' light is more related to emmision problems like O2 sensors and such.

Anyone had this occur or any ideas for things toi look for? I sure hate to send it to the stealer and get raped for something simple.

Ranger
08-20-05, 04:24 PM
If you had entered the onboard diagnostics and retrieved the DTC'S (diagnostic trouble codes) you would know what caused the light to come on. Usually it is emission related but there are other that do not trip the SES light. By pulling battery power you cleared all of the codes. When and if it returns, pull the codes before clearing them, then post them here. You can also find the code definitions here http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

2kflhr
08-20-05, 07:33 PM
Thanks Ranger,

Is there a simple way to pull the codes through the display? If/when it I get it again.

I did a search and mostly found the procedure for < 94 and >2000.

Ranger
08-20-05, 08:07 PM
Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER or OFF and INFO UP (whichever is applicable). The codes should display after the DIC lights up all segments as a segment check.

2kflhr
08-21-05, 01:00 AM
Thanks again Ranger. If the probem arises again I will try to pull the code.

cory005
08-21-05, 01:59 AM
go to www.alldatadiy.com and for 20 some bucks you can find anything you need about your car and i mean everything. in your case you need to find the light, so go to your local auto store and have them pull the code for you(they do it for free) then go on alldata and punch the number in on the code finder. then when you know what it is print the sheets and bring it to someone if you need them to fix it so they dont charge you for running tests. at alldata you get a year subscription with the 2o bucks and it is all online. believe me this is the best thing ever i have used it so much for my deville

Spyder
08-21-05, 11:57 AM
You can get the codes yourself...don't bother going to the local auto store, many of which may NOT be able to run OBDII...alldatadiy.com is a good thing, but you can probably save yourself some trouble by getting the code and searching through this forum...damned near everything you could ever want is on here...good luck!

THE-BIG-CRAIG
08-23-05, 02:27 AM
My 97 Eldo Does The Same Thing When I Punch The Gas. It Will Go Away After I Shut The Key Off When I Park It. The Codes Can Be Found From The Cars Computer As Listed Above.