: Cracked Water Pump Housing Northstar

Raymond Cibelli
11-18-03, 11:49 PM
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]I NEED HELP WITH WITH A CRACKED WATER PUMP HOUSING.96 ELDORADO.APPROIMATE PRICE OF HOUSING,TORQUE SPECS ECT.WILL I NEED TO BREAK ANY AIR COND. OR POWER STEERING LINES?I'M A PRETTY GOOD WRENCH BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I'M UP AGAINST BEFORE I START.

lido
11-19-03, 12:04 PM
I need to replace my water pump too 1994 sts,its leaking coolant at the pulley.Looking down below the cam pulley I can see the water pump pulley and coolant is slinging, slow leak at first and steam after it gets hot.The way it looks like a straight forward ,removing the hoses and unbolting the water pump.the pump assembly looks to me that whole section below the throtle body,can some one tell me?And the thermostast is suppose to be there some where ? The part is $110.00,dealer wants 300 more for labor.

lido
11-19-03, 08:40 PM
O.K. I started taking the water pump apart,its easy 4 bolts,one big hose,one little hose and drive belt,the back housing is out the thermostat is in this housing.now I see where you need the special tool there is noway to get the impeler out of the housing,I found a place in the internet were I could buy the tool,it looks like a big socket with teeth,I will order it now.

zonie77
11-19-03, 09:05 PM
Check Autozone and Checker's loan a tool programs first.

Raymond Cibelli
11-21-03, 09:48 AM
Check Autozone and Checker's loan a tool programs first.
Thanks for the info.If I can return the favor; Check out Vans Chevrolet on the web they are located in arizona and their GM parts prices appear to be pretty good.I live in New york city where no opportunity to rip someone off goes untested. I've ordered parts from them several times and always managed to save a few bucks.

Michaelx
11-24-03, 11:12 PM
O.K. I started taking the water pump apart,its easy 4 bolts,one big hose,one little hose and drive belt,the back housing is out the thermostat is in this housing.now I see where you need the special tool there is noway to get the impeler out of the housing,I found a place in the internet were I could buy the tool,it looks like a big socket with teeth,I will order it now.Where did you order the water pump tool? What's the web address and how much?

lido
11-25-03, 06:36 PM
I ordered the tool at mytoolstore.com for $18.00.Still waiting for it to arrived.

Raymond Cibelli
11-26-03, 11:32 AM
Where did you order the water pump tool? What's the web address and how much?
I got mine at my local parts store. It's a commercial quality piece (a bit of overkill) avery nice tool none the less. It's made by Astro Pnumatic Tool Co.#7880 Northstar Water Pump Socket. $29.95. I guess I would have been better off with a cheaper version since It's only used to do this particular job and with any luck I'll never have to replace this pump again.

lido
11-26-03, 12:58 PM
I got mine at my local parts store. It's a commercial quality piece (a bit of overkill) avery nice tool none the less. It's made by Astro Pnumatic Tool Co.#7880 Northstar Water Pump Socket. $29.95. I guess I would have been better off with a cheaper version since It's only used to do this particular job and with any luck I'll never have to replace this pump again.

The tool I ordered is made by astro pnumatic same modle #7880.The heavy duty one made by Schkey tool #61100 is more pricly $78.00. How did the Astropnumatic worked, is it O.K. or should I get the better tool?They are both 1/2inch drive the pricely one looks like made of cast alloy ?

Raymond Cibelli
11-28-03, 01:46 PM
The tool I ordered is made by astro pnumatic same modle #7880.The heavy duty one made by Schkey tool #61100 is more pricly $78.00. How did the Astropnumatic worked, is it O.K. or should I get the better tool?They are both 1/2inch drive the pricely one looks like made of cast alloy ?
Tha Astro Pnumatic worked like a charm and looks like it will last forever.Unless you plan to do a lot of these pumps I would stick with the lower priced tool. Good luck with the project.