: Little old lady needs advise regarding head gaskets

darlene jennings
08-19-05, 08:56 PM
Hi - not sure how I got to this site but can anyone help me regarding an explanation of how my dealership is failing to warrant a $3,000 job for the replacement of headgaskets when the engine blew 10 days later? thanks

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 09:03 PM
Hi - not sure how I got to this site but can anyone help me regarding an explanation of how my dealership is failing to warrant a $3,000 job for the replacement of headgaskets when the engine blew 10 days later? thanks

I think this would be best mved to the reviews or open letter to GM section, and also what are the further details of this case?

What do you drive?
What was the initial problem?
etc
Regards

Yes i also forgot to mention Welcome to the forums.
:welcome:

addison_ii
08-19-05, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the Forums. What year, model, Caddy do you have? Was it covered by a warranty(original or extended)?

darlene jennings
08-19-05, 09:44 PM
It' a 2002 deville with 87,000 well maintained miles. Upon leaving home in AM and only going 4 miles I saw the engine hot -turn off A/c on panel. I did immediately and had it towed to the dealership. They replaced gaskets (did I mention they pulled the engine 3 times to get it right?) When I asked what caused this? Why did I lose the coolant - they never did answer. I expressed my concern after paying the $ for the headgasket replacement that IF we never found the problem, this could happen again. They responded...it's under warranty for 1 year. Well, in 10 days it happened again and now they say "that one of the threads failed which they could not predict and that they will not warrant the job." I reminded them that they never told me that "if a thread fails the job is down the tubes." I think that the bolts fatigued from coming in and out 3 times and that's when the coolant got sucked in to the cylinders. They have offered a new engine for $7,500 put nothing for the $3,300 I've already spent. Do I need a lawyer?

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 09:48 PM
Do I need a lawyer?
In a word?
Yes.
Theoretically, the should have replaced the mounting bolts each time they pulled the engine, so its negligence on their part, i suggest you get yourself a lawyer, because as it stands, and from what i can gather, they made your car into a pile of scrap metal.

addison_ii
08-19-05, 09:50 PM
It' a 2002 deville with 87,000 well maintained miles. Upon leaving home in AM and only going 4 miles I saw the engine hot -turn off A/c on panel. I did immediately and had it towed to the dealership. They replaced gaskets (did I mention they pulled the engine 3 times to get it right?) When I asked what caused this? Why did I lose the coolant - they never did answer. I expressed my concern after paying the $ for the headgasket replacement that IF we never found the problem, this could happen again. They responded...it's under warranty for 1 year. Well, in 10 days it happened again and now they say "that one of the threads failed which they could not predict and that they will not warrant the job." I reminded them that they never told me that "if a thread fails the job is down the tubes." I think that the bolts fatigued from coming in and out 3 times and that's when the coolant got sucked in to the cylinders. They have offered a new engine for $7,500 put nothing for the $3,300 I've already spent. Do I need a lawyer? Yes get a lawyer immediately. Their workmanship is what caused the threads to fail. My 94 SLS was timeserted( rethreaded) 50k miles ago and I haven't had a problem since. Many other people here have also had their Northstars timeserted and they haven't reported any problems. That what the procedure is for to prevent this type of problem even from occuring.

darlene jennings
08-19-05, 09:55 PM
What if they claim they DID replace the bolts each time? I really have no way of knowing. The service man should have never told me it took 3 times to get that engine running properly. (but I'm glad he did) Ok. thanks for confirmation of attorney. I contacted GM with no luck other than a offer to reduce the price of a new caddy by $1,500. I also called the Better Business Bureau but the dealership has a good record. Also contacted Consumer Affairs. Guess I'll see what happens next with the lawyer. I am now reduced to a '94 Toyoto truck that runs great but not quite as comfortable! Thanks again.

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 10:03 PM
What if they claim they DID replace the bolts each time? I really have no way of knowing. The service man should have never told me it took 3 times to get that engine running properly. (but I'm glad he did) Ok. thanks for confirmation of attorney. I contacted GM with no luck other than a offer to reduce the price of a new caddy by $1,500. I also called the Better Business Bureau but the dealership has a good record. Also contacted Consumer Affairs. Guess I'll see what happens next with the lawyer. I am now reduced to a '94 Toyoto truck that runs great but not quite as comfortable! Thanks again.

If they replaced/rethreaded the bolts each time this problem probably wouuldnt be happening.
Best of luck with the lawyer, you'll need it.
Sorry about the Toyota

illumina
08-20-05, 02:36 AM

Well, the first thing that was needed when the engine was undergoing head work was timeserts. These are basically new threads for the head bolts when a major overhaul is done to the heads on the Northstar Cadillac engine i.e. replacing head gaskets and such. New head bolts as far as I know are always a must when replacing the Northstar headgaskets!

Yes, I would contact your attorney and have them look into the matter.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-20-05, 09:46 PM
yup the job was not done according to specs , illumina is absolutely right ....(just backin ya up dude )

Kev
08-20-05, 10:11 PM
It sounds to me that the dealer should make things right with you. It looks like they are taking advantage of you and that angers me. I would bring the matter to the General Manager or even the owner of the dealership and give them one more opportunity to redeem their name and honor and make the proper repair to your engine at no further cost to you. Had they done the job right the first time this would not be an issue. If they do not give satisfaction then you may be left to legal recourse.

If that is the case I hope you prevail and the dealer be required to cover court and attorney’s fees.

If you are not satisfied in the end with the dealer you might want to post a review here;

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117