: How to change from "active" to "nonactive" shocks/struts with no SRC message!

08-19-05, 04:43 AM
All of the shocks and struts have dampering valves on them. When changing your shocks and struts to the cheaper nonactive shocks and struts just remove the dampering valves from your old shocks and struts, and keep them plugged in to your car. You can tie them off in a place where they are not in the way. Then you won't have to bother with the SRC message coming up on the dash.

The dampering valves have two flat surfaces on the perimeter of them. You can use a large adjustable wrench on them to unscrew them from your old shocks and struts. It is a lot easier to take them off the shocks and struts when they are not still attached to the car. Follow the wires up to the plug and unplug them.

The only thing you have to be careful of is the hydrolic fluid in the shocks. It won't stain anything but it leaves a smell that is VERY hard to get out of carpeting.