: Motor Noise

ramazza
08-18-05, 07:15 PM
I have a 2000 DTS with 47000 mi it has like a lifter noise that no one can fix

Ranger
08-18-05, 09:25 PM
Rather uncommon for a Northstar. Is it by chance only at start up?

ramazza
08-18-05, 10:16 PM
Not really the other day I was walking into a store and a gentleman with his 2002 DTS running and ticking away said the dealer can't fix his either......it gets louder as it warms up mine has been back to the dealer many times. Now GM says I just have to live with it......Bob

Ranger
08-18-05, 11:06 PM
Hmm, that just does not sound right. I have almost never heard that before. Did they at least tell you what was causing the noise? What weight and type of oil are you using?

danbuc
08-19-05, 01:09 AM
My '98 STS has a strange, rather subtle knock. Had the dealer look at it, and they said it was fine. The N*'s are somewhat notoriously loud engines. My Friends mother has a 2001 DTS, that's louder than my car. No knocking or tapping, but just loud.

EcSTSatic
08-19-05, 11:10 AM
Injectors will make that ticking noise. Use the ol' stethoscope trick and try to isolate the sound.

lry99eldo
08-19-05, 11:31 AM
Hmmmmm, noisy? Lifter noise? Clicking maybe? My '99 Eldo w/ 46K has a slight lifter TYPE tick at start-up but has quieted down some now that morning temps have gone down some. I live in Phoenix, Az., so temps at engine shutdown tend to maintain a bit longer than if it were 80 deg. F rather than 115 deg. F. Yet, it is the smoothest and most quiet engine I have ever owned.
Seeing that it has chains everywhere it seems, 3 more cams than a standard "V" center cam engine, and accessories both driven and or electrical, it stands to reason that some individual production Caddy engines may make some noise over other manufacture's. But a "knock" is usually something to be concerned about. After all, it's a machine, and the only way a machine has to tell of it's woes is to make a noise not normaly heard. For a dealer, or any mechanic, to say a knock is "fine" in itself is a bit strange. Also, for the Dealer to say you'll have to live with it is like hearing "They all do it" which is an indication they don't know what's wrong or a way to try and appease you into going away.
Sometimes things do have a way of creating their own clearance, but that usually means interference in some way, or in the case of valvetrain, too much clearance. There's also the fact that oil drains off and a tapping or such will cease as the area gets relubed. This type of mechanical problem may in time become a serious problem. Ever see a camshaft that has worn lobes due to under-lubrication or dry running? Not pretty. I'd say keep at it and DO find what is making the noise. Afterall, it may be nothing more than adjustment or repositioning an accessory or something. But it may also mean a replacement engine!
lry99eldo

ramazza
08-19-05, 01:56 PM
Hey Guys........Thanks for the replys......The oil has been changed by the Dealer 4/5 times so the oil is right.......Here is what they did:

2 decarbonizations
replace 16 lifters
replace16 cam followers
replace 32 lifters and cam followers
retorque exhaust manifold
Still have noise soooo the head mechanic along with someone from GM and someone from Northstar said it was piston slap.....Replace 8 pistons,bearings and crankshaft.......still have the noise.........Now they tell me I just have to live with it or take them to court because its now out of warranty....oh and if I trade the car in ( to a GM Dealer ) they know about the problem and it won't hurt the trade in.......But they did extend my warranty to 100,000 mi.

Bob

Ranger
08-19-05, 08:35 PM
Your warranty is extended to 100K. How can it be out of warranty? Sounds like it might have been cheaper to just replace the whole damn engine in the first place. About the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the block anyway.

ramazza
08-19-05, 08:59 PM
The Dealer told me that was the way GM wanted to handle it. The original warranty expired while all the work was being done. The new warranty covers now if it breaks and I have to pay $50 to get it fixed. This is my last Caddy.......Bob

ramazza
08-19-05, 09:03 PM
This is the letter from GM:

Thank you for contacting the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center.

I appreciate you taking the time to write to us about the handling of your concerns pertaining to your 2000 Cadillac DeVille. General Motors realizes that the consumer is not only attracted to a quality product, but also to quality customer assistance that comes with the product. This office gathers information and based on that information determines the best method of handling. We are continually making improvements in ways to assist the needs of our customers.

Again, I have reviewed your request for further assistance and also the previous Service Requests that were documented for you regarding the concern under SR# 1-168566923 and SR# 1-259831478 with the Customer Assistance Center and support the decision that has been previously stated to you. You have been provided an extended service contract by Cadillac and no further assistance is available. I apologize that this decision was not in accordance with your wishes.

This is the final decision of General Motors and we will no longer address additional messages on this subject. Please feel free to contact us again with any other concerns you may have.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-458-8006. Customer Relationship Managers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Again, thank you for contacting Cadillac.

Sincerely,

Cassie Farris
Customer Relationship Manager
Cadillac Customer Assistance Center

delzy
08-20-05, 12:06 AM
Ride it hard and put it away wet. With the warranty extension, I wouldn't complain about the noise that bothers you. Just pound the crap out of it and if that doesn't break it, then the noise is really insignificant. If you blow the motor then they certainly will repair it under the extended warranty. It is sad that it turned you off of cadillacs, but you sound a little fussy to me. I would gladly take a lifter noise for a warranty extension. After all, the car is 5 years old. Maybe I'd buy it with the warranty, how much do you want for the ticking time bomb?

ramazza
08-20-05, 09:46 AM
FUSSY you bet......This is not a normal noise all the "experts" who listened to it say its not normal but they can't fix it......its a fairly loud lifter type noise...... I think the bore for the lifter distorts as it gets hot.....But I'm Fussy and don't like to hear this car tapping away when I pull into a place.....my streetrods sound better......if it doesn't bother you make me an offer.......Black 2000 DTS loaded ( no night vision ) 48,000Mi garage kept..........Bob

Stan R.
08-31-05, 04:29 PM
Sounded like a sticky lifter noise to me, 25k miles 03 SLS. Dealer said it was "piston slap" and replaced pistons, rings, and rod bearings under warranty. Sounds much better now, still a little engine noise but not as noticable as before. Good luck!

ramazza
09-01-05, 11:00 AM
Glad yours is better.........all the work they did to mine made no difference......what gets me is " you'll just have to live with it "