: Time serts head gaskets and cadillac refunds

padsplace
11-18-03, 06:18 PM
I'm a new forum member,, who just spent $2,700 on a time sert repair,,, I got a whole two months out of it, before she went belly up, two das ago,, The dealer has it apart again, and is telling me that their repair is not the problem,, I can't believe that it's anything other than the time serts pulling out,,, does anyone have any information on Cadillac, kicking in $$$ on such a repair,,, ????????? Is there a disput number that one could call ?????????, or should I stand by for the hosing of my life ???????? any information would help,,, Thanks in advance PAD

zonie77
11-18-03, 06:24 PM
How did it go belly up?

Have they shown you the engine apart?

zonie77
11-18-03, 06:27 PM
What year car, how many miles, what was original problem???

padsplace
11-19-03, 03:32 PM
Yes, I have seen it apart,, they pulled out a couple of the time serts to show me,,, it appears to me,, that they have alum. thread materal on the outside of them,,,, telling me they must have pulled out, ???????? It's a 97 concours,,,the original problem was of course overheating,,,, as was the the problem last week when it died again,,,, I talked to the service manager today,,, he is acting a little like he might be able to swing this repair as a warrenty deal,,,, I hope to know something in the next couple of days....,,,thanks PAD

padsplace
11-19-03, 03:33 PM
sorry 84,500 miles,,,,

zonie77
11-19-03, 08:47 PM
We just finished timeserting my brothers block and don't have the heads on it yet so I'm very interested.

This wasn't on factory warranty (right?).

The dealer should be giving more than a 60 day warranty on their own work. What does your reciept say? If you paid by credit card they may back up the warranty. The CC companies haven"t been touting that feature but it may still be in effect.

Also...did you talk to Timesert? I would give them a call if I were you and see what they say. I think the cleaning of the holes before installing the timeserts is critically important. We spent extra time on that. I wonder if they rushed that part. The loctite isn't going to hold if there is any oil left behind.

Please update us and good luck getting this redone free as it sounds like the dealer should stand behind their work.

padsplace
11-19-03, 09:35 PM
Thaks for the info,,, My repair was supposed to be good for 12mo or 12,000mi.,,,The service mgr, seems to be weakin'ing, a-bit,, if I'm guessing now,,, he is going to make it right,,,, I just looked at timeserts web site,,, they make a "big sert", that looks like it may be the answer,,,,I'll let you know what happens,,,,
We just finished timeserting my brothers block and don't have the heads on it yet so I'm very interested.

This wasn't on factory warranty (right?).

The dealer should be giving more than a 60 day warranty on their own work. What does your reciept say? If you paid by credit card they may back up the warranty. The CC companies haven"t been touting that feature but it may still be in effect.

Also...did you talk to Timesert? I would give them a call if I were you and see what they say. I think the cleaning of the holes before installing the timeserts is critically important. We spent extra time on that. I wonder if they rushed that part. The loctite isn't going to hold if there is any oil left behind.

Please update us and good luck getting this redone free as it sounds like the dealer should stand behind their work.

zonie77
11-19-03, 10:03 PM
Give timesert a call and see what they say. They may want to talk to the dealer or give you something to look for.
They could redo it with the bigsert but you want to make sure they are doing it right.