: SRX = Bad ride on freeway

CadillacStyle
08-18-05, 02:58 PM
Just purchased an '05 Silver Smoke V6 SRX. Very happy with it except when I take in on the freeway. The car has a slight rocking motion from side to side when riding on bumps on the freeway. Don't know if its the suspension or maybe the tires but if feels similar to moving the steering left and right in short quick movements.

Has anyone else felt this? and is there a fix?

BrettM
08-18-05, 03:47 PM
make sure the tires are inflated correctly. the factory tires on the 18" v-8 spec out 40 to 44 psi. The oil change guys lowered it to 32 psi, and I told them to put it back up on 42psi like it was supposed to be (apparently the jiffy lube, lube pros nad the like think all tires are supposed to be 32 pounds). The side walls can roll on the tires if the tires are underinflated.
I have the MRC suspension which is great. Do you have the regular suspension or the MRC ?

john d
08-18-05, 04:02 PM
Just purchased an '05 Silver Smoke V6 SRX. Very happy with it except when I take in on the freeway. The car has a slight rocking motion from side to side when riding on bumps on the freeway. Don't know if its the suspension or maybe the tires but if feels similar to moving the steering left and right in short quick movements.

I've felt it too. Tires are following the grooves cut in the road surface to carry away rain water. Some streaches of road are worse than others. I've noticed the intensity depends on the groove width, spacing, depth and longitudinal zig-zag run out.
Had the same problem, only more severe, in a new 83 Olds 98.
An alignment took care of it. Had to do with caster/camber, not toe.
Mines a V8 AWD and I hate to have anyone screw with the alignment as, so far, rocking is tolerable.

b4z
08-18-05, 04:53 PM
Camber can really mess up a cars ride and tracking.
My GTO's was all wrong.
My V6 SRX has an excellent ride.

louisn
08-18-05, 05:54 PM
make sure the tires are inflated correctly. the factory tires on the 18" v-8 spec out 40 to 44 psi. The oil change guys lowered it to 32 psi, and I told them to put it back up on 42psi like it was supposed to be (apparently the jiffy lube, lube pros nad the like think all tires are supposed to be 32 pounds). The side walls can roll on the tires if the tires are underinflated.
I have the MRC suspension which is great. Do you have the regular suspension or the MRC ?
That's maximum pressure isn't it--doesn't cadillac recommend 32 lbs. per tire?

BANK
08-18-05, 05:56 PM
I think you may be speaking about the sway bar effect. Bars affect the ability of a wheel on one axel to operate independently of the other. You usually notice the effect when you put on larger aftermarket bars, the car bobs side to side more. I am not taking about the rain groove issue which sounds like it may well be alignment related. What could help is more dampening in the shocks but it might adversely affect ride quality. However, if Koni made some shocks for the SRX, my front shocks would get replaced.

jgn
08-19-05, 05:30 PM

It's true the tires have a max pressure of 44 psi, but the sticker on the driver's side door on my V8 states 32 psi in front and 30 in the rear.

djfcars
08-20-05, 12:53 AM
My V8 SRX was doing the same thing on the freeways around me. I checked the tire pressure and it was at 40-42 psi. I lowered it to what is on my drivers door: 32 rear 30 front. I then went back on the same freeway and it rode perfect. It came new to me with way to high psi.

Hope this helps,
djfcars

strindl
08-20-05, 11:20 AM
Way too many of the employees in those quick change oil places have no idea of what to set tire presures to. I used to take my 99 Corvette to one, and I was always meticulus about checking my tire presure and making sure it was at exactly 32...the number recomeneded on the door jam sticker.

One time I had it there, and had specifically told the guy NOT to touch the tires because I had just set them. I was watching from the waiting room, and saw a young guy pumping lots of air into one of my tires, and stuck my head out to ask what he was doing. He said he was setting it to 44 pounds, like it said on the side of the tire.

They don't train those guys properly.

ntechnic
08-23-05, 04:46 AM
And don't forget, the pressure settings are to be set while STONE cold. That's in the AM before driving, or after letting the tires cool for at least three hours.

A simple trick to use if you don't have a pressure source at home is to stop off at the gas station closest to home when you're heading home at the end of your day. Fill the tires to about 45 pounds, trust me this is more than enough. The next morning, you check your tire pressures and only have to let air out until you get to the right pressure.

pagpc
08-23-05, 07:49 AM
i still believe it is the michilen tires and grooved concrete. mine does it on grooved concrete, but nowhere else.

pagpc

john d
08-23-05, 10:55 AM

CadillacStyle - Do you get the same effect on ungroved cconcrete or on blacktop? How does various speeds alter the effect?

CadillacStyle
08-23-05, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I haven't paid attention to what surface causes this effect. I do know it happens on the freeways out here in Southern California which i'm guessing is asphalt. It occurs very harshly around 50-65 MPH, once I hit 70-80 MPH it is not felt anymore.

I only have the regular 2WD V6 on 18" inch wheels w/o magnetic ride suspension.

I'll try letting the air out today and test it out. Other than that, I don't really see anything else that I can do b/c my alignment is perfect...I just bought and it has less than 2,000 miles on it.

I've never experienced this with any of my other previous cars: Honda Prelude, Toyota Highlander, Honda Accord and Nissan Titan.

Any more help/advice will appreciated,
Thanks

Skiman
08-24-05, 12:35 AM
"the alignment is perfect...I just bought it and it has less than 2,000 miles on it"

Just because the car is new and has less than 2,000 miles on it does not necessarily mean that the alignment is "perfect" or even within factory specs. Any number of things could cause it to be out of alignment, including simply not properly aligning it at the factory.

Do you drive it on roads that have rain grooves cut in? Some tires, because of their tread design, "follow" or "hunt" the grooves. My AWD SRX V8 with factory Michelins is reasonably tolerant of Colorado grooved freeways.

It is also possible that you have a defective tire.

An extremely unlikely possiblity (in a new car) is play in the steering, i.e. loose tie rods or steering rack.

Try and ride or drive in an IDENTICAL car on the same roads and see it the same problem occurs.

burnt1
08-25-05, 06:26 PM
my tires were 10 pounds under inflated when i baught the car.the tires say 44 psi.

miked
08-25-05, 06:46 PM
Note that the 44 psi on your tires is a MAXIMUM rated psi -- not the inflation level that you should be using! The inflation level you should be using is listed on a sticker on the door or the door jamb of the driver door . . . . I think it's 32 or 34 psi.

MortnCyn
08-25-05, 06:47 PM
Look at the label on the driver's door. V6 is 32 front and rear unless you want to play NASCAR and drop or raise a pound one side or the other.

gottawonder
08-26-05, 12:59 PM
Other than that, I don't really see anything else that I can do b/c my alignment is perfect...I just bought and it has less than 2,000 miles on it.

Local shop I've used for years told me to bring mine in after 5k miles and let them check the alignment... they said that sometimes the cars are lashed down too tight on transport and jack with the camber... are you seeing any inner tire wear? IF this was any other shop I'd say "yeah, right" but I've given these guys plenty of room for "judgement calls" in the past and they have never replaced or repaired anything that didn't need it. I even send my Mom to 'em.

GW

john d
08-26-05, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=gottawonder]Local shop I've used for years told me to bring mine in after 5k miles and let them check the alignment... they said that sometimes the cars are lashed down too tight on transport and jack with the camber... are you seeing any inner tire wear? IF this was any other shop I'd say "yeah, right" but I've given these guys plenty of room for "judgement calls" in the past and they have never replaced or repaired anything that didn't need it. I even send my Mom to 'em.

GW[/QUOTE
Your local shop is right. About 10 years ago during a brutal winter across the U.S. a train load of Dodge pick ups was stranded a couple of weeks in 30 below in the midwest.
When they reached California and the tie down chains were removed the springs didn't spring back! I guess cold can alter the steel like heat,
Dodge replaced a few springs.
I had a new 94 Lincoln Town car that went down the road sideways. Rear tires had about a 2 inch offset tracking with the front tires. Checked by driving through a wet spot (hosed a dry section) to a dry spot on my driveway.
Seems the transport driver cranked one of the two hold down chain hooks attached to opposite sides of the rear axle much tighter than the other.
Caused one trailing arm to slip in its position and over compressed the rubber bushings. No alignment setting on the solid rear axle so bushing replacements were required and that fixed the "crippled dog leg" tracking.

dkozloski
08-26-05, 02:15 PM
A limited slip rear end can also make the car drive like it's on the trolley tracks especially on slippery or eneven roads.

markeau
08-26-05, 09:08 PM
Tire pressure is increased for rail travel, but then of course make-ready should readjust the pressures down to the recommended values depicted on the placard (and NOT the MAX pressure on the tire sidewall - as most of you already know).

I have had several new vehicles that were delivered with >10lbs over that recommended by the mfgr. Plus, I have actually measured >10lb pressures on lot vehicles that were used for test drives - no doubt several buying customers have been lost because the "ride was bad" due to tire overinflation.

john d
08-27-05, 08:48 PM
Just got back from a road trip and came across a deeply grooved strech of concrete and got the "wiggle". After about a 10th of a mile the road changed to a worn grooved section of concrete. Spacing between the grooves looked the same about 1-2 inches. The wiggle was still there but much less in it's intensity. Passengers noted the effect too.

Wonder if the sharpness of the newer grooved edges makes the difference?

djfcars
08-28-05, 10:57 PM
Now that I see that it is rack & pinion, I could understand why I and some of the other people noticed the condition that first started this thread. I have had cars with Rack & pinion steering do this more than conentional steering boxes.

I'll just watch the tire wear. It always tells the story.......8^)

Djfcars

djfcars
08-28-05, 11:03 PM
Sorry-I double posted.

Djfcars

Cullen2020
01-07-06, 11:56 AM
:rant2:GET DIFFERENT TIRES ON THE 17's !!! I have to say one thing about the SRX (17" factory wheels w/o MR) and its handling capability. Horrible. At least with traction control activated. Once the car started to fishtail.... I was going 15 mph around a wet corner and usually i am able to gain control quickly in other vehicles such as a Tahoe!...well the SRX did a 360 on me! I could not beleive it. Well then i crossed a railroad track going a little fast about 2 weeks later in an area i was unfamiliar with and the vehicle started to fishtail again...and once again it was a situation i would normally be able to regain control...Well (and this is SAD!) the SRX started to 180 and went off the road and kept spinning around. Around a 2" welded pipe fence. First the front bumper hit the fence, then the drivers side met the fence all the way down finally coming to a stop after the rear bumper was crushed into the fence. So yeah, $8500 worth of damage (TY God for Insurance!), but the good thing...all cosmetic, no frame, suspension, etc..damage. I am going to buy a set of oem 18" rims and buy stickier tires. It just seems that once the SRX loses control on dry/wet pavement...it looks for an excuse to start spinning around. And like I said, we have an 02 Tahoe with offroad GY Wranglers that handles better than the SRX when I lose control. Does anybody have any suggestions/experiences using different tires that give you a little more grip! I dont care about how fast the tread wears....Id rather be in control of my car!